Sens Fans: Hoffman for Hopkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There have been plenty of talk lately with Dorion scouting the Oilers about a Mike Hoffman for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins swap. Most Oilers fans would prefer to give RNH a chance on the wing before dealing him for another winger. What do sens fans think about this trade?

I would welcome a trade like RNH + 3rd/2nd for Hoffman + JG Pageau.

Curious to see Senators fans opinions on these trades.

That trade would be so horrible and stupid for Ottawa

1) 2nd line Center is the last need for the Sens. They have Pageau who has proven he can produce as much as RNH when given opportunity but most importantly if you consider Chabot graduated, the Sens 4 best prospects are arguably Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Filip Chlapik and Colin White.

2) Hoffman is signed for 2 more years at a reasonnable salary of $5,650,000 for a 0.70-0.80 PPG production. RNH on the other hand has 3 years left at $6,000,000 (while being on RFA years) for a 0.50-0.70 PPG production

3) Senators have been sacrificing assets to save money in trades but in a RNH for Hoffman trade, they would take on salary? Yes Pageau would be going the other way but he would be replaced by RNH in the line-up, but who replaces Hoffman? Find a better Winger at that price without giving assets...

4) Adding Pageau for a 2nd/3rd round pick? Even more awful. A Pageau for RNH swap would likely be a lateral move to begin with. I know RNH has 1st OA pick name recognition but after a few years in the league it doesn't matter anymore.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Hell no. Not interested in a Hoffman for Rnh trade on its own at all, nevermind adding Pageau.

Hoff for rnh 1 for 1 makes Edmonton way better and doesn't improve us at all.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was encouraged when I saw RNH + 2nd or a 3rd then I saw you added Pageau on the Sens side...
So you come over here create a special thread and offer sh!t

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I agree with people here. Does adding RNH help us that much? I don't really get the undying love for Hoffman though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’d rather have Logan Brown plays LW on Duchesne line and RNH center the 2nd line then have Hoff and Duch together

RNH is a better player then Hoffman

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let me counter
ottawa_senators.svg
OTT

1. Nugent-Hopkins, R
  2. Klefbom, O
edmonton_oilers.svg
EDM

1. Ryan, B
  2. Pageau, J
  3. Dzingel, R
  4. Perron, F
Additional Details: Christian Wolanin

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Zadina-RNH-Stone
Paajarvi-Brown-Chlapik
McCormick-Paul-Pyatt
O'Brien

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur

Claesson and Smith traded. Burrows traded with retention (or buried), Gaborik bought out.

If you want to see something even crazier, check out this twitter account:

@BeerLeagueHeroe 19h19 hours ago
More
There is one way to make an RNH to OTT for Hoffman trade palatable... If the Sens include Logan Brown, Filip Chlapik, Alex Formenton, or Drake Batherson. Thoughts?

... and then check out some of the replies to the tweet o_O

:laugh:

The only positive would be that we'd never hear about Dahlen for Burrows as the worst Dorion deal as it wouldn't be even close to as bad as this one.

Now let me have fun with some of these quotes

"Would they do Klef and Lucic (assuming he would waive) for Hoffman and Ryan?"

Hoffman > Klefbom
Ryan >> Lucic

"How about we throw in a second and talk Colin White?"

ok what do you guys expect me to say but this : laugh:

"Even if they include one of those we still lose trade"

What in the hell? How can a hockey fan think that Hoffman + Brown for RNH would be a loss? One of the most delusional comments I have ever seen and that's saying a lot lol

"Thomas Chabot should be added to that list too"

:biglaugh:

It gets better and better wow. There's only 3 trade talks that would interest me if it's involving Chabot : McDavid, Draisatl and their 1st round pick if it's top-3

Gosh those comments almost makes me want to open a twitter account. Someone needs to tell them how ridiculous/delusional it is.

Wow, Pierre Dorion attends a couple of games that involves the Oilers, and rumours are created from thin air.

The speculation is stupid but I guess they're selling clicks.

I would do Pageau straight up for Nuge with a small add, but I wouldn't consider trading Hoffman for Nuge even 1 for 1. No thanks.

Doesn't work for a budget team though... RNH is owed 18.0 for the next 3 years, Pageau is owed 6.7 for the next 2 years. Let that sink in.

Sens have been making moves to save money for a while now, I doubt that one would be the one doing the opposite.

Nugent Hopkins has to be one of the most overrated players in the last decade.

He's like the second coming of Alexandre Daigle. Will never be as good as his draft position but decent career

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not a trade that moves the needle for us,Hoffman fits with Duchene...RNH fits where exactly??

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd do it if we hadn't already traded for Duchene.

Duchene
RNH
Brown
Pageau
White
Chlapik

Overkill.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Batherson??but yep we really dont need RNH as much as we do Hoffman....

I see him as a winger long-term.

See our future forward group looking something like:

Hoffman - Duchene - White
Dzingel - Brown - Stone
Chlapik - Pageau - Batherson
Formenton - Paul? - Gagne

Don't need to add RNH to a forward group in which 2-3 natural centers are already being forced to the wing because of too much center depth.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We have a sniper on the wing. It’s a key type of player to have.

Yeah snipers are important I guess I'm not as sold on him as others here. If you look at the teams that have won a cup, their snipers have tended to be better than Hoffman or if they're not better shooters they're more well rounded players or they play a more important position (center).

I like Hoffman and his contract is good. I just don't think he is as key a piece to this team. Trading him for RNH doesn't make sense for where we are at though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Absolutely not, Ottawa doesn't need another weakling especially playing centre.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seems the OP likely knows how the locals feel about his offer now. I think we can lock this gem up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad