Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

logger444

Apr 23, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
You can't say who a team will draft...exept if you are Washington. The best question you could ask is: Who would you like to see the Sens draft.
Now that they've straightened out their coaching problems; perhaps they can now reduce the number of Euros on the team. Don't get me wrong, the bulk of their team skill is tied up in these players, I just question their grit in the playoffs.

Dickie D

Mar 1, 2002
Ottawa/Brockville, ON
Visit site
They have needed to fix three main things for the past three years and now the firing of Martin answers one of the three needs. The other two are current issues, trade Radek Bonk for a physical winger and get a decent goaltender.
As far as the draft is concerned, I don't see a real power forward type prospect available for the Sens pick, so what I would do is reach a little bit and draft Vancouver Giants defenceman Mark Fistric, who is a heart and soul type player, that can add another demension of toughness on the blueline in the future. He's a few years off, but could end up being a future lunch box player for the Sens and a cog in the organization for years to come.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Evan Mcgrath(14th NA) and Ryan Garlock(15th) are potential draft candidates for the Sens. The Sens like European players i could imagine they look for Johannes Salomonsson. I know his health is critical but the potential is obvious.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Ottawa's best forwards are mostly younger than their best defencemen. Furthermore, they've got no blue liners in the system worth mentioning. Finally, d-men typically take longer to develop than forwards.

For all these reasons, I hope the Sens are looking for solid defencemen in the draft, though as usual they will probably take the BPA.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Boris Vabalik seems like the perfect sort of player for Ottawa, although they might have to trade up a bit to get a shot at him. Combining him with Chara, Phillips, and Volchenkov would give the Senators some scary hitting ability on the backend.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
logger44444 said:
Now that they've straightened out their coaching problems; perhaps they can now reduce the number of Euros on the team. Don't get me wrong, the bulk of their team skill is tied up in these players, I just question their grit in the playoffs.

That doesn't always necessarly translates into a Euro problem, however.

Look at the Sens closely. Who's got the grit, Chara or Redden? Their top D, an all-around guy, is a Euro.

The game is becoming most definitly international and Euros have a lot to offer. Each player is different.

Instead of dumbly wishing for the Sens to reduce the number of Euros in a large sweeping useless statement, why aren't you asking for them to cut on the less gritty, less willing players and add some grit and leadership?

It's what you want anyway. You just don't know it.

Drafting/acquiring North Americans doesn't mean a thing. There are lots of North American wusses. The key to good playoffs personnel is to find the guys who step up when it counts.

I don't know how it is right now but I was looking earlier, after round 1, and most of the top scorers were Euros. I remember an ignoramus on this site two years ago whining about how Euro goalies will never cut it in the playoffs. Well, since then, Hasek won a cup and several Euro goalies are rising. It's becoming a plain level field as the number of Europeans in the NHL are growing.

The bottom line for playoffs success is you need a great system and 20 guys who perform well that year. You need good goalscorers who step up, good checkers, good Ds, inspired goaltending... and it doesn't matter at all whether they come from Canada, Russia, Sweden or even freakin' Madagascar.

Grit is not exactly the Sens problem. What I think you are referring to is more the ability to focus under pressure, prevail under adversity and generally play inspired hockey where you give it all. The Sens do have the ability to play a physical, gritty game but you need more than that. Your finesse players ALSO need to raise their game. Same for goalie and even coaching, where you need to be on top of things.

Grit is a minuscule problem for the Sens. There's more to it than just that, IMO.

When evaluating a player, his nationality is really the least of my problem, although for drafting I do take into account the system he learned in.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Byers, Booth or Zajac are three players that bring grit, skill and determination to the rink and I think Ottawa would be fairly interested in. Byers reminds me of Brendan Morrow in a way although he must improve on his offense.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
That doesn't always necessarly translates into a Euro problem, however.

Look at the Sens closely. Who's got the grit, Chara or Redden? Their top D, an all-around guy, is a Euro.

The game is becoming most definitly international and Euros have a lot to offer. Each player is different.

Instead of dumbly wishing for the Sens to reduce the number of Euros in a large sweeping useless statement, why aren't you asking for them to cut on the less gritty, less willing players and add some grit and leadership?

It's what you want anyway. You just don't know it.

Drafting/acquiring North Americans doesn't mean a thing. There are lots of North American wusses. The key to good playoffs personnel is to find the guys who step up when it counts.

I don't know how it is right now but I was looking earlier, after round 1, and most of the top scorers were Euros. I remember an ignoramus on this site two years ago whining about how Euro goalies will never cut it in the playoffs. Well, since then, Hasek won a cup and several Euro goalies are rising. It's becoming a plain level field as the number of Europeans in the NHL are growing.

The bottom line for playoffs success is you need a great system and 20 guys who perform well that year. You need good goalscorers who step up, good checkers, good Ds, inspired goaltending... and it doesn't matter at all whether they come from Canada, Russia, Sweden or even freakin' Madagascar.

Grit is not exactly the Sens problem. What I think you are referring to is more the ability to focus under pressure, prevail under adversity and generally play inspired hockey where you give it all. The Sens do have the ability to play a physical, gritty game but you need more than that. Your finesse players ALSO need to raise their game. Same for goalie and even coaching, where you need to be on top of things.

Grit is a minuscule problem for the Sens. There's more to it than just that, IMO.

When evaluating a player, his nationality is really the least of my problem, although for drafting I do take into account the system he learned in.

I agree with everything you said here about grit and stereotyping the Euro's. In fact, I was flamed heartily on the Rangers board about a month ago when I called some people on the carpet for making ignorant statements and stereotyping Euro's as having a lack of grit instead of singling a certain individual out.

They got pretty defensive over there saying that because they train differently than NA's the stereotype was a true one. Not every team or every country trains the exact same way regardless of geographical location.
The funny thing is, after all of the explanations as to why statements such as "Euro's are soft", or "Euro sissies" are ignorant, they (being 2 or 3 of the posters over there, not all of them) still didn't get the idea. I guess some people would much rather live in blissful ignorance than admit that they could have shown said ignorance.
I understand that training comes into account as well. But my point to these guys were that not every team in Czech or Russia trains the exact same way as well.

Good call again Vladdy. Where you are born has no impact on how tough you may be. How teams train has very little impact on how tough one may be.
It is a matter of character and make up. If that isn't quite easy enough to understand then I don't know how else to explain it. It is pure ignorance to suggest that players from a region are soft simply because they are from that certain region.

As for the original post question, Ottowa is a stacked team right now. They draft very well, and the glaring weakness throughout the past couple years has been Lalime. Obviously they can't draft a player to fill that need immediatley, but I think as far as prospect depth goes, I think defense is a greater need than offense.
Since Ottowa has done very well with thier draft record for the most part, I wouldn't be to worried in whom they draft. I think the best player available is the best way to go for the Sens. Thier pick will not fill an immediate need and they have the players to trade in order to fill those needs.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I never like to toot the horn of players on the CHL team i follow but i think Ottawa can get a great grit/leader type in round 3 in Freddy Cabana.

For those that have seen him play youd know what i mean. Gives 100%, great skater, aggitater, hits well and is already a leader having worn a letter with Halifax at age 17 and with the U18 team this pas month.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
r19 said:
Who will Ottawa pick this year?
i like Bruce Graham and Evan Mcgrath

The Senators didn't get to be the team they are today by drafting players like Evan Mcgrath. He's had a dissapointing year and is over rated. Might be a good pick in the 3rd round.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have NJ takeing him in the 3rd round :) I doubt he will last that late in the third though with his strong efforts at the under 18. I have been Cabana fan since early this year, I actually like him much more then Steber.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
It was partly a grit problem. The team had many slick skilled forwards, but when Belfour got hot, there weren't enough net crashing forwards with good hands around the net and the determination to hang out in front of the goaltender and wait for tipping opportunites or rebounds, and that's the only one to beat a goaltender when he's in the zone like that.

CoolDude*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Byers, Booth or Zajac are three players that bring grit, skill and determination to the rink and I think Ottawa would be fairly interested in. Byers reminds me of Brendan Morrow in a way although he must improve on his offense.

I really don't see Zajac drafted in the 1st round... I see him going late in the 2nd round.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
sensfan18 said:
Sens take Bruce Graham in the 1st round, then take Bryan Bickell in the 2nd (we have our 2nd right? The one that went in the Bondra deal was for next year).

That's correct about the 2nd pick.

I really hope they take Graham. From what I've heard he's rising fast and has a load of potential. Not only that but he's got tremendous size..something Ottawa has always lacked on their forwards (not on their defense).

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Epsilon said:
Boris Vabalik seems like the perfect sort of player for Ottawa, although they might have to trade up a bit to get a shot at him. Combining him with Chara, Phillips, and Volchenkov would give the Senators some scary hitting ability on the backend.
The Canucks pick 23rd, and there is absolutely no way that they Canucks pass up no Valabik.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Whats it matter, whoever the Sens take moron Muckler will probably end up trading the guy at the deadline for some veteran who ends up doing nothing in the playoffs.

Muckler is just like Sather, living off his accomplishments in Edmonton and not what hes done in the current.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Herby said:
Whats it matter, whoever the Sens take moron Muckler will probably end up trading the guy at the deadline for some veteran who ends up doing nothing in the playoffs.

Muckler is just like Sather, living off his accomplishments in Edmonton and not what hes done in the current.
The Senators still own every player they drafted from the 2003 draft, Muckler's only with the team.

Besides, who cares, there's already plenty of whining about that going on at the Sens board.
Come join the fun, if you are so inclined, and keep this one on topic.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Herby said:

I hear you, man, the Sens would have at least one cup right now if they'd kept ahold of those monster superstars Klepis and Gleason.

rebedom

Nov 27, 2003
Sting004 said:
That's correct about the 2nd pick.

I really hope they take Graham. From what I've heard he's rising fast and has a load of potential. Not only that but he's got tremendous size..something Ottawa has always lacked on their forwards (not on their defense).

I agree we need size up front first, we pick around 23rd and we got a 2nd round pick for the Hnidy trade. I also think we will trade somebody during the draft to either move up or to get another pick in the early 3 rounds. All of these guys below would look good in a Sens uniform, very big uniforms.

1st round Graham or Chipchura
2nd round Vabalick or Bolland
2nd round Bickell or Garlock
3rd round Schultz / Rogers

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
rebedom said:
I agree we need size up front first, we pick around 23rd and we got a 2nd round pick for the Hnidy trade. I also think we will trade somebody during the draft to either move up or to get another pick in the early 3 rounds. All of these guys below would look good in a Sens uniform, very big uniforms.

1st round Graham or Chipchura
2nd round Vabalick or Bolland
2nd round Bickell or Garlock
3rd round Schultz / Rogers

We got a 3rd for Hnidy I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->