Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Christian Wolanin to Entry Level Contract

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Are you sure that's true? He'll be 23 for his signing year regardless, I thought that was a 2 year ELC.

With that said, through burning a pro year this season, Wolanin will be arbitration eligible in 2019. Had he signed a 1 year deal else where during the 2018 off season that expired in 2019, he would still need an additional pro season to be eligible for arbitration since he'll be 23 on September 1st of his signing year (2018).

That was probably a big factor.

He also effectively gets an additional 92.5k signing bonus and the pro-rated remainder of his 925k base salary if he is on the roster for the rest of the season. So he'll probably end up making an additional 100k+ for a few hockey games.

I believe you`re right, it's your age as of Sep 15 of that year. Since he'll be in the 22-23 range (he's 22 for this season, and 23 for next) he gets a 2 year deal either way.

Sorry guys brain fart, it's the age on Sept 15 of the calendar year, not contract year, 23 regardless.

Maybe burning a year was a way to entice him to sign with Ottawa, but now I'm speculating.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why would he sign here though...

It is more lucrative for him to sign with the Senators.

He'll make at least 92.5k for a few games of hockey due to his signing bonus. There's also a possibility that due to the nature of the Senators season being done, part as part of the negotiations he was told he'd get an extended look in the NHL which = more money since he wouldn't necessarily start in the NHL next season when teams are trying to win.

He burns a year of his ELC, no other team can offer him this. Not only will his ELC get over quicker, but he also will only be one year away from arbitration.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got ridiculous potential performance bonuses, but we don't know what he got yet until those aspects of the contract leak out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why would he sign here though...

He did not take the easy road to get here. He was really happy when the Sens drafted him. NHL roots. I am glad he decided to stay with the team that drafted him. He has an opportunity here as much as anywhere imo. I also think its the right thing to do unless there is good reason not to.

Reactions: Polansky

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's another convert from forward to D. Seems like it might be a drafting strategy at this point. Harper, Wolanin (his name autocorrected to "woman" on me...) and Gendron

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Asset-Management.jpg

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
So watching guys like Wolanin and Chlapik has become the silver lining for these last 10 games. Cool.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Hey I am not the coach, just guessing on what he'll do based on his previous decisions.

Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Cleasson
Wolanin-Harpur

Is this better?

(lol) I know it wasn't clear with the question mark but I wasn't blaming you for your combos nor do I believe the coach is to blame. Boucher can only try the pieces he's been given.

To Expand:

This and a few previous comments I've made about the D situation have been was more about longer term org planning and how difficult it is for a young D to play in the NHL and then add to that having to play with a major disadvantage. With the players they currently have, eventually the best option might be if Chabot, Harpur and Wolanin (when and if the latter is ready and good enough) could play their natural left side and Karlsson, Ceci and possibly Jaros could play the right. Boro, Claesson or Wideman (the latter a possible short term re-sign) could be the rotation pieces depending on progress, the opponent or injuries. Again this is based mostly on current NHL or near NHL ready inventory but a trade might be inevitable and some of these guys may also be showing they don't belong and get passed by others (ie Lajoie or Englund)

When some of us as fans wondered why they didn't play Phaneuf on the right when he was here given that he had played that side with Tor we thought it had to do with Boucher's left side trap but possibly it was part of longer term management thinking knowing the players they had in the org that were near NHL ready. Maybe they hoped and still hope that one or two of these guys can make the jump across without it affecting their game too much. It's ok to experiment now but they can't afford to go on hope to start the next season if its apparent it doesn't work.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Been our best defenceman this evening which is impressive. Made a few poor defensive reads like crossing to his wrong side and hes been too high in the d zone. Both easily correctable with video.

But his skating, vision, passing and offensive play is only 2nd to Chabot and Karlsson.

Im loving this kid so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad