Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A few Sens-centric notes from THN Future Watch. If this info is too much to post form the magazine, a mod can feel free to edit/delete.

-We're the 8th best drafting team when judged by THN's system that handicaps against draft position. For context, STL is first, FLA last.

-Brown+White are our only players in the top 50 and both are down from where they were last year.

-Batherson, Formenton, and Gustavsson are ranked in the 50-100 range.

-Dahlen and Bowers, aka our significant traded prospects do not crack the top 50, but Dahlen is ranked in the 50-100 range. Bowers is considered the Avalanche's fifth best prospect.

-Relevant to the possible Karlsson trade deadline package that we (may) have been offered, Cody Glass who is Vegas' top prospect is ranked in the top 10. Friedman made it sound as if we'd have a choice of Vegas' prospects, which if true means he might have been available to us in the package.

-We had an amazing roster at the start of this season if Future Watch 2008 was an indication to go by. Ryan, Brassard, and Turris were all in the top 10. Turris was 2.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Belleville next year = Ottawa in 2 years!!!! So good ^ Luchuk + Wolanin, I want to see just how good these late bloomers are.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Wolanin has put up near identical numbers to Butcher, playing in the same conference, at the same age. Really excited for him to be in Ottawa.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wolanin has put up near identical numbers to Butcher, playing in the same conference, at the same age. Really excited for him to be in Ottawa.
Wolanin is a year older than Butcher was (well, 10 months). They are 2 months apart in age. Having said that, Butcher's team appears to have been much stronger.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Wolanin kind of reminds me of Subban when I watch him skate.

Especially in the above video, at about 4:50 Wolanin scores a shooutout goal and it looks just like Subban to me. The way he moves, the slick puck handling, broad shoulders, and ability to weave around seamlessly.

Edit: Also the number of seeing eye shots from the point he gets in is uncanny, real quick release. With respect to that part of his game he almost reminds of Brent Burns.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wolanin kind of reminds me of Subban when I watch him skate.

Especially in the above video, at about 4:50 Wolanin scores a shooutout goal and it looks just like Subban to me. The way he moves, the slick puck handling, broad shoulders, and ability to weave around seamlessly.

Edit: Also the number of seeing eye shots from the point he gets in is uncanny, real quick release. With respect to that part of his game he almost reminds of Brent Burns.

Hmm... Subban/Burns hybrid with a 4th round pick? Not bad.

Seriously though, hoping he can make it as a NHL dman.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

If he hits we found our triggerman on pp2. The highlight package shows off a really good one-timer as well as a good array of other shots. It's a highlight reel, so it's put together to make a player look good. That being said, he looked good. The homer commentators said that he "was always good defensively but has come on offensively" which is good if true. Hopefully he can be a plate. I think he can be

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hmm... Subban/Burns hybrid with a 4th round pick? Not bad.

Seriously though, hoping he can make it as a NHL dman.

Way better defensively though :sarcasm:

Seriously I think he can be a solid 2-way D-man on the 2 pair. I can't see a guy with his skillset and dynamism fail to at least be 3rd pairing.

Canucks (well some fan) had the intention to steal him from us :

Vancouver Canucks Should Target Christian Wolanin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he hits we found our triggerman on pp2. The highlight package shows off a really good one-timer as well as a good array of other shots. It's a highlight reel, so it's put together to make a player look good. That being said, he looked good. The homer commentators said that he "was always good defensively but has come on offensively" which is good if true. Hopefully he can be a plate. I think he can be

There was a spot on the radio with a guy who covers his team and he mentioned that he still has to work on his defensive game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's not forget that he is playing against college players & college goaltenders & not NHL players & goaltenders but he will be tonight. I doubt he plays more than 10 minutes & most likely less but it will be interesting to see a brand new prospect we haven't seen before at the NHL level.

BTW IMO he was one of the most improved players I saw at this yr's development camp, he stood out way more than past camps he attended. I believe I may have wrote that Batherson & Wolanin really stood out this yr with their speed & aggressive play at the development camp.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anywhere that’s run good and gives them a chance to play in the nhl that is...Do the Sens offer that? I’m not sure, let’s wait and see.
Of course they offer that, they are an NHL team & numerous X-players have said what a great organization Ottawa is. Just because they are in last place doesn't mean that these players aren't treated like royalty, they still are. The only players who wouldn't play here IMO are those that may have a better opportunity somewhere else to either play more, make more or have a chance to play for a cup. Ottawa offers most everything else.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of course they offer that, they are an NHL team & numerous X-players have said what a great organization Ottawa is. Just because they are in last place doesn't mean that these players aren't treated like royalty, they still are. The only players who wouldn't play here IMO are those that may have a better opportunity somewhere else to either play more, make more or have a chance to play for a cup. Ottawa offers most everything else.

Or have better weather, or are the home town of the player or his wife.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad