Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Batherson is done in the Qmjhl and Formenton can either come to the NHL or return the the OHL. He’s definitely not ready to be an NHL player so I expect him back in London next year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the big question should be, what are Londons plans next year? If they plan on going on a run with Formenton as one of their core pieces, then the Knights are the obvious best place for him. If they're still on an upward cycle to peak in another year or two and are looking at moving some vets....then I might wonder what route is best for him. There is one hell of a difference in development in the OHL between a team like London and the Flints of the league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think the big question should be, what are Londons plans next year? If they plan on going on a run with Formenton as one of their core pieces, then the Knights are the obvious best place for him. If they're still on an upward cycle to peak in another year or two and are looking at moving some vets....then I might wonder what route is best for him. There is one hell of a difference in development in the OHL between a team like London and the Flints of the league.
If London are not making a run (they won't), Formenton will be sold to the highest bidder while he is away at the WJ's in January, or a team that is making a run.

Reactions: aragorn

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
i want forms to get 5 - 9 games with the sens then sent back to London, really want to see what kind of stupid number he can post next year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
i want forms to get 5 - 9 games with the sens then sent back to London, really want to see what kind of stupid number he can post next year.
He's not going to post stupid numbers, ever.

He will probably get 65-75 points next year should he play the same amount of games he does this season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well ****

Wolanin was starting to look like a potential top 4 D too.

We should stop drafting college players in the later rounds. Everyone talks about the flight risk with Russian players, but there's a much greater chance of losing a player to the college loophole.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Honestly, that college loophole is pathetic. They should be treated as RFA's. How is this fair to the teams who draft them?

It really is. Benefits the prime UFA destinations like NYR, LA, BOS, MIN etc... and hurts teams like the Sens that have trouble attracting and retaining talent.

Nothing is stopping Burgess and Daccord from doing the same next year.

Reactions: Joider

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
#itstarts

If im a recent prospect and seeing the latest lie/lip service of "renewed commitment to drafting and development" actually meaning play your least skilled and effective older vets at key positions in the minors and sometimes majors even after you are long out of the playoffs and haven't been a competitive team in years in the minor league teams case....personally would also be considering my future with the org and looking at ways I could move on.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It really is. Benefits the prime UFA destinations like NYR, LA, BOS, MIN etc... and hurts teams like the Sens that have trouble attracting and retaining talent.

Daccord can't, he isn't eligible.

Burgess is eligible regarding the drafts, but I'm not sure he meets the criteria with not playing last season, and wouldn't attract anyone anyways.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Daccord can't, he isn't eligible.

Burgess is eligible regarding the drafts, but I'm not sure he meets the criteria with not playing last season, and wouldn't attract anyone anyways.

I'm not sure if things have changed recently, but I think Daccord would be UFA eligible next season because he would have played 4 seasons since being drafted (1 in USHL, 3 in NCAA).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well ****

Wolanin was starting to look like a potential top 4 D too.

We should stop drafting college players in the later rounds. Everyone talks about the flight risk with Russian players, but there's a much greater chance of losing a player to the college loophole.

Should send Boucher to talk to him about his role if he does sign.
Its not carved in stone so there is a chance the Sens can convince him to sign before he takes that leap. But if I'm a young player coming out of the NCAA and have had some success , I want the best chance of actually playing in the NHL so I get that they would want to look at options. I do think the rule sucks .. RFA would be a good way to treat them. It would make sense that something would change there going forward.

Has the decision to turn pro after y2 in BC and joined the Sens to play in Belleville helped Colin White any?

Reactions: Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not sure if things have changed recently, but I think Daccord would be UFA eligible next season because he would have played 4 seasons since being drafted (1 in USHL, 3 in NCAA).
Yeah I did not know Daccord played in the USHL prior to ASU, I know f*** all about looking at goaltenders so don't really bother.

You're right

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Wolanin decides not to come to Ottawa then fine, the rules are what they are & the Sens move on. I doubt he plays in the NHL next yr anyway, I doubt he is ready & whoever he signs with will likely demote him to the AHL. Ottawa has lots of depth at left D, but the rules do suck. It may be another reason to draft Canadian kids who will actually play here. I think Lajoie could turn into a pretty good top 4 D for Ottawa some day at LD. They also have Chabot & Claesson & Harpur is coming along all at LD. Ottawa still has Englund & Seiloff at LD in Belleville & will probably draft another good D this yr, they have plenty of depth at LD & I doubt they miss him. He's an American so it doesn't surprise me he would want to play for an American team & stay in the US for various reasons.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Exactly, it's an awful loophole and I don't blame the kids at all for taking advantage of it. Why not? You get to choose an organization that you feel would be the best fit instead of the other way around.

It does go to show that not all top college prospects should be moved down a few notches in draft rankings, but certainly the marginal ones. Guys like Brady Tkachuk in the coming draft that will be in the league within a year at most from being drafted aren't a flight risk. Would make no sense for them to forego 3 years of NHL hockey for college. It's the later round picks that are the big gambles and just may not be worth it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah college or college-bound players aren't much of a flight risk if they are really good players that should only spend a year or two at the NCAA level, but for the later round guys who likely will be spending 3-4YRs in college, there is definite flight risk potential that needs to be considered.

Losing a good prospect like Wolanin for nothing would absolutely suck. Hopefully he sticks with the team that invested a draft pick and 3 years of development in him.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If Wolanin decides not to come to Ottawa then fine, the rules are what they are & the Sens move on. I doubt he plays in the NHL next yr anyway, I doubt he is ready & whoever he signs with will likely demote him to the AHL. Ottawa has lots of depth at left D, but the rules do suck. It may be another reason to draft Canadian kids who will actually play here. I think Lajoie could turn into a pretty good top 4 D for Ottawa some day at LD. They also have Chabot & Claesson & Harpur is coming along all at LD. Ottawa still has Englund & Seiloff at LD in Belleville & will probably draft another good D this yr, they have plenty of depth at LD & I doubt they miss him. He's an American so it doesn't surprise me he would want to play for an American team & stay in the US for various reasons.
On the Elite Prospects web site he is listed as being from USA/Canada, and his birth place is Quebec.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Should send Boucher to talk to him about his role if he does sign.
Its not carved in stone so there is a chance the Sens can convince him to sign before he takes that leap. But if I'm a young player coming out of the NCAA and have had some success , I want the best chance of actually playing in the NHL so I get that they would want to look at options. I do think the rule sucks .. RFA would be a good way to treat them. It would make sense that something would change there going forward.

Has the decision to turn pro after y2 in BC and joined the Sens to play in Belleville helped Colin White any?

Send boucher to tell him we don't feed babies steak? How will that help?

But yeah, the current college UFA rule sucks. Been saying that since Shultz jumped ship on Anaheim, and even when Wheeler left Pheonix high and dry. It's a business and they are doing what's best for them, but seriously screwing over the teams that drafted them with zero reprecussions. Got to give the team that drafted them some sort of carrot to dangle; either treat them as RFA, or something. I think the current rule is the drafting team gets a compensatory draft pick one round back of where the unsigned player was drafted, but that might just be for 1st round guys?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Send boucher to tell him we don't feed babies steak? How will that help?

But yeah, the current college UFA rule sucks. Been saying that since Shultz jumped ship on Anaheim, and even when Wheeler left Pheonix high and dry. It's a business and they are doing what's best for them, but seriously screwing over the teams that drafted them with zero reprecussions. Got to give the team that drafted them some sort of carrot to dangle; either treat them as RFA, or something. I think the current rule is the drafting team gets a compensatory draft pick one round back of where the unsigned player was drafted, but that might just be for 1st round guys?

That was kinda the point

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If im a recent prospect and seeing the latest lie/lip service of "renewed commitment to drafting and development" actually meaning play your least skilled and effective older vets at key positions in the minors and sometimes majors even after you are long out of the playoffs and haven't been a competitive team in years in the minor league teams case....personally would also be considering my future with the org and looking at ways I could move on.

Not only do the Sens have a hard time selling their product but they are now having a hard time attracting employees :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->