Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There's absolutely no chance that the line-up looks like this, unless Boucher wants to lose his job and put an end to his NHL career right away.

It would also be stupid to stack the 3 best forwards on the first line. Stone makes his linemates better and help them produce so he should be the one moved away from Duchene and Hoffman who have proven chemistry together. I don't know if somebody (like Micklebot) could dig the numbers of Dzingel production when he played with those 2, I'm sure it was quite interesting.

Based on all that, the first line should certainly be HOFFMAN-DUCHENE-DZINGEL

Like I said earlier, Pageau and Stone have shown chemistry before and had very good production together 2 years ago. Smith was their LWinger and ended up with 25 goals. If you put Ryan there, who has much better hands and can make high skilled plays, you increase your chances of good production for a 2nd line. Based on hypothecially 82 healthy games together, I could see Stone with 65 pts, Ryan with 55 pts and Pageau with 45-50 pts (including special teams)

Based on all that, the second line should certainly be RYAN-PAGEAU-STONE

And we're not even sure of who will make the team. Brown? 4th OA pick? Batherson? Formenton? Paul? etc.

I think White and Chlapik will be there. Pyatt has one year left (and it's cheap) so he should be there to not have an entire green bottom-6. No idea what will happen with Burrows and Gaborik as they are perfect candidates to cut salary. Same with Smith, who could be traded for a pick and replace him by a younger and cheaper player.

If I had to guess (if none of Brown, 4th OA pick, Batherson, Formenton, etc makes the team)

Smith-White-Chlapik
Pyatt-Paul-Burrows
McCormick

But then again, too many questions to answer before predicting the line-up, particularly the bottom part of it.

EDIT : Just saw that, Melnykout has a very similar group to mine.

Let's not be overly dramatic, we have exactly the same players in the top six except that we have a couple of players in different positions. Lots of teams have stacked their top line with their best players although I doubt any team does it for extended periods of time. And Ryan, Dzingel & Brassard had a pretty good run together last yr for a while, Pageau could easily replace Brassard with those two.

I also prefer to spread out the wealth but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that at any time they stack the top line whether in a game or over an extended period of time. John Paddock did it with Heatley, Spezza & Alfredsson & they went on one of the greatest scoring runs in Senator history, so it's not unheard of. I will concede that GB is more of a spread the wealth kind of coach though & likely will try & create three scoring lines if possible.

However, as you say, it is too early to predict any lineups since we have no idea what will happen with Gaborik, Burrows or Paajarvi & Wideman for that matter. If we include the RFAs who were in Ottawa to finish the yr as potentially being on the team next season Ottawa should have about 20 players under contract to start the season. Depending on what happens there may not be that much room for prospects to start the yr. Either way it will certainly be interesting to see what happens this off season if PD is able to change fans perception of this team for next season & whether they are working towards making the playoffs or rebuilding.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Way too many posters are down on White, I already see him as a better player than Curtis Lazar and nobody projected Aho or Boeser (or others) to be the kind of players they are (kind of like most didn't think EK65 was a top-30 prospect except for Ottawa and Anaheim).

Without hindsight, for where he was picked at the time, White was the right choice. I see 2-way potential as a top-9 player, and it won't surprise me to see him be an effective top-6 player given his skillset. Dude hasn't played a full season of NHL hockey yet.
“Nobody” is not accurate.
Not saying I would guess boeser would be that good so soon but he was my pick at that spot. Other guys like couturier, mantha, lowry, maatta, jenner, carlo would be Senators as well if my list was used.
Senators have made a lot of less than smart decisions.
If they pass on tkachuk at 4 then add him to that list.

Last edited:
Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
“Nobody” is not accurate.
Not saying I would guess boeser would be that good so soon but he was my pick at that spot. Other guys like couturier, mantha, lowry, maatta, rakell, carlo would be Senators as well if my list was used.
Senators have made a lot of less than smart decisions.
If they pass on tkachuk at 4 then add him to that list.
if it was me we would have coutourier, not mantha in 13.. i actually WANTED CECI in 2012

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Someone, please reassure me that this isn't Logan Brown!

Given what we've heard about him from his coaches and before the draft, this seems like it wouldn't be him. He also had a pretty good year and was relied on heavily throughout the season and playoffs. Also, if it's been a problem for as long as this blurb says, why would we reward him with an extended look at the NHL level?

Does anyone have any ideas as to who this is?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Given what we've heard about him from his coaches and before the draft, this seems like it wouldn't be him. He also had a pretty good year and was relied on heavily throughout the season and playoffs. Also, if it's been a problem for as long as this blurb says, why would we reward him with an extended look at the NHL level?

There's nothing "prominent" about this team. Phewf..dodged a bullet there.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

My guess would be Juolevi. Recent first rounder, check. Prominent team, check. OHL product (assuming it was an Ontario based team since it was Marek reporting). Trending towards bust, check.

Also Finnish men tend to be ravenous gamers.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
My guess would be Juolevi. Recent first rounder, check. Prominent team, check. OHL product (assuming it was an Ontario based team since it was Marek reporting). Trending towards bust, check.

Possible, but the way the quote is worded it seems like it is a player who is still in Jr.

That said, Juolevi is well-known as a high-octane gamer.

Evan Bouchard comments on Juolevi starts at 7:00 in the link Evan Bouchard on rising to the occasion and potting goals from the blue line - Sportsnet.ca
Bouchard seemed really hesistant to say that Juolevi played video games and immediately backtracked. Maybe its just me but it sounds weird that he would be so cautious then again maybe he just doesn't want to badmouth a former teammate. Let me know if I'm reaching.

Rubtsov seems like another possibility based on stats and the likelihood of isolation/homesickness. Video games are a way of connecting and if all his childhood friends are playing through his night time, it might be hard to resist.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

"recent high pick" .." probably wont ever make it to the NHL because of a video game addiction". seems like drama to me. the addiction could very well be real (it probably is) but writing off his whole career right now? for clicks and listens

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
"recent high pick" .." probably wont ever make it to the NHL because of a video game addiction". seems like drama to me. the addiction could very well be real (it probably is) but writing off his whole career right now? for clicks and listens
For sure. A teenager playing video games until the early hours of the morning is hardly notable. Get the kid a girlfriend to tire him out in the evenings and he'll sleep like a baby.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Could also be a way to get through to the player. Might be the shot in the arm he needs. Its one thing to hear things within your organization, but now the whole hockey world is talking about how this kid is putting his career in jeopardy.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Strange thing for a team to float to the public. While a "gaming addiction" definitely feels a few degrees milder that something like a drug or alcohol addiction, you would think in this day and age teams would know enough to keep that sort of thing in-house. You're not helping anyone by airing out their dirty laundry like that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Great chance to catch possible Sens pick at #4 Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst) play before the draft. Shout out to @BondraTime . How are things out in Regina? Give us some feedback :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: Blarginator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Concerning the video games subject, for example, I have a strong feeling that Andre Petersson was addicted and seriously, this guy had too much talent to not make the NHL. There was something that held him back.

I have read some posts making it seem like it was not that big of a deal. Well, in the real world it has been a huge problem for a while now, and also in sports. Welcome to 2018 where technology takes a lot of place and can become a major obstacle to some people

Let's not be overly dramatic, we have exactly the same players in the top six except that we have a couple of players in different positions. Lots of teams have stacked their top line with their best players although I doubt any team does it for extended periods of time. And Ryan, Dzingel & Brassard had a pretty good run together last yr for a while, Pageau could easily replace Brassard with those two.

I also prefer to spread out the wealth but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that at any time they stack the top line whether in a game or over an extended period of time. John Paddock did it with Heatley, Spezza & Alfredsson & they went on one of the greatest scoring runs in Senator history, so it's not unheard of. I will concede that GB is more of a spread the wealth kind of coach though & likely will try & create three scoring lines if possible.

However, as you say, it is too early to predict any lineups since we have no idea what will happen with Gaborik, Burrows or Paajarvi & Wideman for that matter. If we include the RFAs who were in Ottawa to finish the yr as potentially being on the team next season Ottawa should have about 20 players under contract to start the season. Depending on what happens there may not be that much room for prospects to start the yr. Either way it will certainly be interesting to see what happens this off season if PD is able to change fans perception of this team for next season & whether they are working towards making the playoffs or rebuilding.

Yes we have the same players in the top-6 but the only way (unless Brown, 4th OA pick, etc) to have 2 lines contributing would be to have Stone on the 2nd line. Let Hoffman and Duchene be that dynamic duo, Dzingel also has a lot of speed and proved some offensive capabilities so that would make a good line. Dzingel has to be a complimentary piece to the top-6, he will not carry a line with Ryan and Pageau.

Like I said, we have seen good chemistry between Pageau and Stone and Pageau and Ryan before. Playing Pageau with those 2 could be the only way to make having Pageau in the Top-6 acceptable (of course, short term). Like I also said, of course Ryan and Stone have to stay healthy, which would be the challenge here. That line would also be a good matchup vs other teams top-lines, leaving a bit more opportunity to the Duchene line.

The problem is your bottom-6 that looks really bad

Smith - White - Pyatt : Pyatt is a 4th liner, White is a rookie, Smith needs to play with better players if you want him to be useful. But I think they trade him anyway, to cut salary (might be at the deadline because his price could go up before the playoffs and the youngsters would have more time to adapt to the NHL)

McCormick - Paul - Burrows : McCormick is a 13th forward, Paul is a rookie, Burrows is on his last year in the NHL, won't hurt you on the 4th line but those 3 together wouldn't score and wouldn't be that great defensively. They might try to shed Burrows salary too, we'll see

But you've seen my guess? Unfortunately not much better than yours, only bumped Chlapik to the 3rd line and Pyatt to the 4th, which could be a major improvement depending on White and Chlapik work together. Anyway, we'll see, impossible to predict right now

Last edited:
Reactions: God Says No

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Remember the Players Tribune story where he stayed up playing NHL with Chychrun? Dum dum duuuuuuuuuummmm. Nah, I'm sure it's not him. Especially due to the fact that Logan Brown has already played in the NHL, had a good year this year, and will almost certainly play many games in the NHL next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Swift Current vs Acadie-Bathurst today 4:00 pm Sportsnet. Lajoie missed out on this opportunity by chosing to play in Belleville. Can't really blame him, but... Noah Dobson time to shine.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I listened to the podcast yesterday, I'd have to re-listen for the exact wording, but it seems like the people guessing Juolevi who was taken 5th by VAN in 2016 might be on to something. Marek described the info as being a year old by now (so basically a season old), and Juolevi left the OHL to return to SM-Ligga after last season.

Report: Concerning news for Canucks’ Juolevi out of Finland

Funny enough, when I google the guys name, the first suggestion is Olli Juolevi Video Games.

Was Brown's season really that disappointing? Maybe it wasn't a home run, but he "made" the Senators out of camp, had a cup of coffee on our team, he was traded at the deadline most likely because he'll go pro this upcoming season, and then he lead the Rangers in playoff scoring.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Was Brown's season really that disappointing? Maybe it wasn't a home run, but he "made" the Senators out of camp, had a cup of coffee on our team, he was traded at the deadline most likely because he'll go pro this upcoming season, and then he lead the Rangers in playoff scoring.

I thought he had a fine season. Plus, was he not injured one or two times?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's important to keep an eye on who is using the word "disappointing".

We have a vocal contingent of people for who nothing the Senators is ever good enough.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Swift Current vs Acadie-Bathurst today 4:00 pm Sportsnet. Lajoie missed out on this opportunity by chosing to play in Belleville. Can't really blame him, but... Noah Dobson time to shine.

I'm just gonna throw this out there, I've watched Dobson since like 2012, he will be no more then a #4 at best. with decent skating and no real stand out quality, his defense is ok, but can get out muscled often. his offense is, in my opinion, being inflated by the quality of players around him.

Being from PEI I want him to be good so bad. But watching him play, all I can think is this is going to be Brandon Gormley 2.0.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm just gonna throw this out there, I've watched Dobson since like 2012, he will be no more then a #4 at best. with decent skating and no real stand out quality, his defense is ok, but can get out muscled often. his offense is, in my opinion, being inflated by the quality of players around him.

Being from PEI I want him to be good so bad. But watching him play, all I can think is this is going to be Brandon Gormley 2.0.

Thanks Edguy. Its good to get your feedback on this. I know you watch the Q a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad