GDT: Senators at Penguins - 7 p.m. ET; ROOT, RDS2, TSN5 - Will Pageau Score Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tough situation for the team, playing one of the best teams in the league without Methot and Ryan in the lineup. Lazar taken out on a bad hit that probably warranted a penalty, and had our a rookie Dman playing his 2nd ever NHL game.

Coach was trying to shelter Robinson and Englund all night, but it's an away game, so options are limited. That means just not playing them, which tires out the rest of the team, and was compounded by Lazar getting hurt.

Anderson's situation is unique, and while Condon probably should have gotten the start, I can see why Boucher went with Andy, but he should have given him the hook after the 4th goal, or worst case to start the 3rd.

Boro is a 6th Dman, but played top 4 mins in a situation where he couldn't be matched up favourably. Didn't like how he played the goal by Shultz at all, gave up too much space and went down to block early for some reason basically giving him a clean shot from the slot, but outside that goal, I find the complaints about him exaggerated quite a bit. To me, he honestly looked like a pretty average 3rd pair d, just he was on the ice against top lines far more often than is acceptable.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Tough situation for the team, playing one of the best teams in the league without Methot and Ryan in the lineup. Lazar taken out on a bad hit that probably warranted a penalty, and had our a rookie Dman playing his 2nd ever NHL game.

Coach was trying to shelter Robinson and Englund all night, but it's an away game, so options are limited. That means just not playing them, which tires out the rest of the team, and was compounded by Lazar getting hurt.

Anderson's situation is unique, and while Condon probably should have gotten the start, I can see why Boucher went with Andy, but he should have given him the hook after the 4th goal, or worst case to start the 3rd.

Boro is a 6th Dman, but played top 4 mins in a situation where he couldn't be matched up favourably. Didn't like how he played the goal by Shultz at all, gave up too much space and went down to block early for some reason basically giving him a clean shot from the slot, but outside that goal, I find the complaints about him exaggerated quite a bit. To me, he honestly looked like a pretty average 3rd pair d, just he was on the ice against top lines far more often than is acceptable.

I'm surprised we played as loose as we did given that we were playing against a high octane offensive team like the Penguins. Perhaps their speed and up temp game penetrated the defensive system a bit. Definitely looked like the Senators of old last night.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So I listened to the whole game on the radio due to my internet being down, and I just watched the extended highlights. A couple of obvious things I'll reiterate:

That penalty shot call was totally bogus. No way there should have even been a debate whether that would be a penalty of any kind. Gift goal given how Andy was playing.

Hoffman is looking like Heatley there on the PP. Really good special teams tonight except for that killer SHG.

Andy was a sieve for sure. He should have been pulled at 4-4 immediately. That Kessel goal was a waffler. It was clear he wasn't on.. why the heck would you wait until you're down 7-5? Condon could have also come out for the third period.

When I was listening, it legitimately seemed like the Penguins scored on every rush down the ice. I can't comment on how we defended due to the lack of visuals inherent to radio, but on the highlights it seemed like we at least tied up the Pens player while he headed down the ice, and the player would still manage to jam it by Andy with a backhand or something.

Well, at least we're scoring. With solid goaltending, this would have actually been a win. Not mad at all at Andy, but he should have been taken out after the Kessel goal.

I think they should make a rule that Andy has to go through at least one practice (not just a game day skate) before playing a game when he comes back to the team. He obviously wouldn't be getting any ice time when he is in NY with his wife.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This. Has no one noticed that the last couple of Cup finals have featured teams that were terrified of exposing their 5-6 guys and went mostly with 4 D? Playing defence in the NHL is a very tough job. There just aren't that many guys who can do it well, especially in the $1M pay bracket.

A. We don't have the top 4 those teams had that we can completely mail in the bottom pair.

B. I don't reaaaalllly care what other teams have. We should strive to be better.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So I listened to the whole game on the radio due to my internet being down, and I just watched the extended highlights. A couple of obvious things I'll reiterate:

That penalty shot call was totally bogus. No way there should have even been a debate whether that would be a penalty of any kind. Gift goal given how Andy was playing.

Hoffman is looking like Heatley there on the PP. Really good special teams tonight except for that killer SHG.

Andy was a sieve for sure. He should have been pulled at 4-4 immediately. That Kessel goal was a waffler. It was clear he wasn't on.. why the heck would you wait until you're down 7-5? Condon could have also come out for the third period.

When I was listening, it legitimately seemed like the Penguins scored on every rush down the ice. I can't comment on how we defended due to the lack of visuals inherent to radio, but on the highlights it seemed like we at least tied up the Pens player while he headed down the ice, and the player would still manage to jam it by Andy with a backhand or something.

Well, at least we're scoring. With solid goaltending, this would have actually been a win. Not mad at all at Andy, but he should have been taken out after the Kessel goal.

I think they should make a rule that Andy has to go through at least one practice (not just a game day skate) before playing a game when he comes back to the team. He obviously wouldn't be getting any ice time when he is in NY with his wife.

Ceci and Boro, nuff said.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007

Agreed. Love Andy but we can't expect him to pull out a magic performance every time given the circumstances.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What a wild game, Andy likely should have been pulled (After 4th is what I would do but many would argue you don't pull a keeper when the game is tied) but he obviously gets a free pass here and I think Guy was in a tough spot and honestly didn't know what to do, hindsight is usually 20/20.

Refs were **** poor for both sides which likely upped the craziness. I was surprised we played so loose considering what we have seen so far with the system, I wonder if that was by design or simply the team choosing its own style of play for the night likely against the coaches demands. The Pens are the reigning champs and are almost unfairly stacked when looking around at the rest of the league but that's the way she goes and the boys will remember this game and hopefully learn for next meeting.

Looking for a tighter effort against SJ that's for sure!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ceci and Boro, nuff said.
:shakeheadMaybe our forwards could do something ,other than just hand the puck right back the Pens.Our lackof offensive zone time is what killed our defensemen,we dump it in Pittsburgh moves it right out and back into our zone ,please try to keep up

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Forgot to add the following which I also posted over on Chirp:

So the Sens had the 312 SSH out for an event last night and I have to say they did a great job and everyone had a good time. They brought us in and gave us a tour of the facilities save the locker room which was having some reno's done on it and was a work zone. They then hooked up a few apps and a drink or two and put the game on the big screen and allowed us access to the Bell Zone (Which is extremely nice by the way) to watch in comfort. They had sufficient staff on hand and even opened the Sens store (Maybe they do this more often but regardless they certainly made some nice sales, bought a sweater myself). The game itself was insane, would have loved the win but sometimes its the way she goes! anyways just thought I would pass along this info as I know we can be critical of the org especially lately but this was something I along with the rest of the group greatly appreciated and was pulled off flawlessly to boot!

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Boro really needs to calm down a bit during games. He's way too aggressive in the neutral zone a lot of the time and teams are luring him into traps and beating him for odd man rushes. He also plays way too dirty and puts the team on the PK all the time.

Ultimately I don't think the Senators will get very far with him playing regularly. I understand that it's good to have players who physically intimidate the other team, but he's doing more harm than good with it at this point.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I did **** about the PP this year and Karlsson, ON THE PP.

But yesterday he was simply magic at 5v4. He slowed the game, but not to much took the right decision almost all the time, his passes weren't obvious.

He was simply magic. And i hope that's the Karlsson we are going to see on the PP. I don't have other words. MAGIC !

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ceci and Boro are a net negative.
Again ,did you see something i didnt .Because other than being on the PP we had no off.zone time ,this is such a easy factor as to why our defense and goalies got beat up .We played far too much in our zone :nod:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Again ,did you see something i didnt .Because other than being on the PP we had no off.zone time ,this is such a easy factor as to why our defense and goalies got beat up .We played far too much in our zone :nod:

Without ceci and boro we might have an easier time getting out of our zone and into the opponents zone

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What a fantastic game to watch! Would have been sweeter to win of course, but a barn burner every once in a while is great.

Going toe to toe with the best team in the league was entertaining as heck, and we sure as hell got their attention. Had Hoff potted that post hitter halfway through the third, or had their not been a chinzy PS, it would have made for a pretty crazy finish.

Most hits on record for Boro is pretty fantastic, no matter how folks like to spin it. He was playing over his head for sure due to injuries, and was hitting everything he could to at least make people pay.

Crosby and EK were on tonight, and you can see when players like that are on, even 'good' players can't control them. Malkin was on and off, but he too is unstoppable when he has an 'on' shift.

Don't mind losing this one, it had the feeling like it was going to be a long night when Pit got going early, but we decided to run and gun with them and they certainly had to take notice. Gave the fans in the building a heck of game to watch...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Without ceci and boro we might have an easier time getting out of our zone and into the opponents zone
I watched Ceci and boro move the puck out plenty last night.What i didnt see is any sustained pressure from our forwards
,to keep it out .Thus leading in watching us play in the defensive zone far too much ,which leads to breakdowns .The forwards should take more of the blame here ,they cant win the puck back in the offensive zone ,which led to far too easy breakouts for the Pens allowing them to time and time again pin us down in the offensive zone

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Can really see Methot being out effecting the other D's minutes but at the same time, Penguins lines are pretty stacked. Englund being sheltered means other D will play more weather they can handle it or not.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Can really see Methot being out effecting the other D's minutes but at the same time, Penguins lines are pretty stacked. Englund being sheltered means other D will play more weather they can handle it or not.
Bingo their defense/goaltending didnt win them that game,their forwards controlled the play .Ours did not

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I don't think they actually showed it which is to bad as the .gif would have been hot fire but the quote was pretty funny after Pitt was awarded the penalty shot and Hoff was throwing shade at the ref....the play by play guy: "And now Hoffman is clapping" I don't know why but this made me lol

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't think they actually showed it which is to bad as the .gif would have been hot fire but the quote was pretty funny after Pitt was awarded the penalty shot and Hoff was throwing shade at the ref....the play by play guy: "And now Hoffman is clapping" I don't know why but this made me lol

Was he really clapping? I saw the gesture and immediately thought he was indicating that Stone got the stick and not the hands. Could be wrong.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That loss is on Boucher. Sullivan changed Fleury at the right time, and it changed the complexity of the game. Boucher didn't = game over. When I wrote that, I didn't know the result of the game yet. But I knew it was going to cost the game.

What was wrong with Andy's glove tonight? Looked like he only had 1 arm...

1st Goal Against : Borowiecki turnover then get out of position. That goal is on him, however Anderson was slow to react and gave a huge five hole. Bit of a bad goal for a NHL goalie but Boro was mainly at fault.

2nd Goal Against : what was Karlsson doing? Not moving, weak poke check opening a 2 on 1 for the Pens with Crosby on the ice. Kelly was also soft and useless on that play. Not much that Anderson and Phaneuf could do. It was a stoppable shot but can'T blame Andy on that one.

3rd Goal Against : very soft by Turris, Phaneuf was caught flat footed and not fast enough to catch up Cullen who did a great play. Can't blame on that one but he was slow all game so it gave a huge opening for Cullen. TURNAROUND-POINT of the game

4th Goal Against : Andy no reason to give that up, even if deflected he had time to recover. It was just a weak wrister from distance. I honestly think I would have stopped that one. BACK-BREAKER goal. SHOULD HAVE CHANGED the goalie right there.

5th Goal Against : Not going to blame Andy on that one, it was a tough save but he shouldn't have been in nets... Again, his glove was not in position.

6th Goal Against : atrocious goal to give up, another back-breaker

7th Goal Against : penalty shot, a good shot by Rust, but Andy gave up the top of the net as he was slow again, like he has been all night. Not blaming him for this one though

Hard to win vs Pittsburgh with 3 softies. That PS was a bit BS too but the goal that hurt was the 3rd one, while on the PP. Really un-clutch play by Turris. Too soft on the puck!

==========================================

I must admit, I am tired of Kelly and Pyatt... IMO only 1 of these guys should play at the same time. They are getting owned Corsi wise, badly and they are the only ones on the team

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,10&sort=shotAttemptsRelPctg

Biggest problem tonight(outside of goaltending) is that the Pens were able to match up all they wanted against an uninspired bottom-6 and Boro...

Also I loled at the Brassard penalty, one of the worst calls I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot :laugh:

Also, lol at the no call on Stone in the 1st and then in the 2nd period the no call on the head shot against Lazar by Dumoulin when Crosby tried that wrap-around. Refs tried to do make-up calls after that but the Pens were still getting away with so much.

Sucks that Hoffman hit the post when it was 6-5 Pittsburgh, could have tied the game just like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad