Senators 2016-2017 ECF Roster vs Projected 2018-2019 Roster

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This thread is designed for us Sens fans to make an objective assessment of the moves that Dorion makes this offseason. To begin with we will compare the Senators rosters in the 2016-2017 ECF run with the projected roster for the 2018-2019 season. The assumption is that on paper the team needs to be as good as the ECF team to have any chance at a similar result. Additionally given the fact that the objective is for the Sens to be respectable and serious cup contenders we should expect that the roster for the 2018-2019 season should on paper be better than the ECF run.

2016-2017 ECF Roster

MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Stalberg-Wingels-Burrows
Pyatt, Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Wideman-Boroweicki
Claesson,Harpur

Anderson
Condon

2018-2019 Projected Roster

Hoffman-Duchene-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-McMormick-Pyaty
Burrows-?-Gaborik

?-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
?-Borowiecki
Claesson,Harpur

Anderson
Condon

There are possibilities of trades and buyouts (Burrows, Gaborik). Internally we have some players that are somewhat close to push for roster spots such as: 2018 1st round pick (4th overall), Colin White, Filip Chalpik, Logan Brown, Nick Paul, Gabriel Gagne, Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, Aaron Luchuk, Christian Wolanin, Christian Jaros, Mikael Wikstrtand (questionable).

Given the possibility of free agents, trades, buyouts and promotion of prospects what would make the 2018-2019 roster as good as the ECF run and what would make it better?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
The plan is to compete in 3-5 years right? I think what we've got is what we'll have. Obviously we won't be going after any significant free agents, not that we necessarily should, those contracts are usual stupidly high. I'm sure we'll pick up a couple borderline NHLers somewhere. I really don't see us buying out anyone either, it doesn't make sense given our timeline to compete. The Karlsson trade should get us some decent picks. I don't think there's any way we get better next year. Maybe we finish a couple spots higher, but we should still suck.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The plan is to compete in 3-5 years right? I think what we've got is what we'll have. Obviously we won't be going after any significant free agents, not that we necessarily should, those contracts are usual stupidly high. I'm sure we'll pick up a couple borderline NHLers somewhere. I really don't see us buying out anyone either, it doesn't make sense given our timeline to compete. The Karlsson trade should get us some decent picks. I don't think there's any way we get better next year. Maybe we finish a couple spots higher, but we should still suck.

With no first round pick next season we can't afford to have a bad year. I'm assuming that part of the plan is to make the playoffs next season. If we can't do that then Dorion isn't make the right moves and Boucher shouldn't be extended.

We could also keep Karlsson promote some prospects and make some good free agent signings/trades and that could turn this team around fairly quickly.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
With no first round pick next season we can't afford to have a bad year. I'm assuming that part of the plan is to make the playoffs next season. If we can't do that then Dorion isn't make the right moves and Boucher shouldn't be extended.

We could also keep Karlsson promote some prospects and make some good free agent signings/trades and that could turn this team around fairly quickly.

I'm just going off of what Melnyk and Dorion were pushing at the town halls. A 3-5 year rebuild with the hopes to compete at that time.

Obviously we won't get any proven stars back in a Karlsson trade, but we should get a boatload of picks which should make up for not having our first next year.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm just going off of what Melnyk and Dorion were pushing at the town halls. A 3-5 year rebuild with the hopes to compete at that time.

Obviously we won't get any proven stars back in a Karlsson trade, but we should get a boatload of picks which should make up for not having our first next year.

We can’t just move Karlsson for picks. We need picks, prospects and young roster players.

Theodore, 2019 first, Tuch, Glass, 2020 2nd would be my ask from Vegas, or some combination of that.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
We can’t just move Karlsson for picks. We need picks, prospects and young roster players.

Theodore, 2019 first, Tuch, Glass, 2020 2nd would be my ask from Vegas, or some combination of that.

People are going to be bitterly disappointed in the return for Karlsson.

We're bent over a barrel. If we can't resign him it's because either A. We can't afford him or B. He doesn't want to be here. Either way, we only get maximum return if we trade Karlsson to a team he will resign with. That could be 10 teams, it could be 2, who knows. Maybe Karlsson has no interest in Vegas, or maybe it's the only team he says he'll sign with. We are bargaining from an extremely weak position and every other GM knows it.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

No. The plan is to compete next year for the playoff. Melnyk was talking about being a Stanley Cup favourite.

Reactions: NB613

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Wrong again.

How can someone who is on these forums be so uninformed? That is not what they said.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
People are going to be bitterly disappointed in the return for Karlsson.

We're bent over a barrel. If we can't resign him it's because either A. We can't afford him or B. He doesn't want to be here. Either way, we only get maximum return if we trade Karlsson to a team he will resign with. That could be 10 teams, it could be 2, who knows. Maybe Karlsson has no interest in Vegas, or maybe it's the only team he says he'll sign with. We are bargaining from an extremely weak position and every other GM knows it.

Vegas is a good place for him to go and we could get a good return.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
No. The plan is to compete next year for the playoff. Melnyk was talking about being a Stanley Cup favourite.

Are we signing Tavares and Kovalchuk? We would need a monster offseason to be anything close to a cup favorite. But if we kept Karlsson and somehow got Tavares and Kovalchuk and improved our defense we would certainly be a serious threat.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Wrong again.

How can someone who is on these forums be so uninformed? That is not what they said.
200 (3).gif

Reactions: bert

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017

I love that return for Karlsson. Exactly what we should be looking for. Trade him somewhere he wants to go where he can agree to an immediate extension so we can maximize the return and give our roster an infusion of young talent. You have to think Vegas is a place he'd like to live and team that is on the come that plays a speed style that he'd enjoy.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I love that return for Karlsson. Exactly what we should be looking for. Trade him somewhere he wants to go where he can agree to an immediate extension so we can maximize the return and give our roster an infusion of young talent. You have to think Vegas is a place he'd like to live and team that is on the come that plays a speed style that he'd enjoy.

Dorion will say they tried to sign him, but Erik wanted more than they were willing to pay, then he trades him and he can sign an extension right away. We get a bunch of assets that can help us now and in the future.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone
Formenton-Pageau-White
MPS-Paul-Burrows

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Wideman-Wolanin

Anderson
Condon

Gaborik bought out, Smith, Dzingle, Claessen traded.

Method acquired from Dallas.

Strong chance that Hoffman is traded instead of Dzingle.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone
Formenton-Pageau-White
MPS-Paul-Burrows

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Wideman-Wolanin

Anderson
Condon

That 4th line is awful

Why are we getting Methot back?

Where’s Pyatt?

What are we getting for Dzingel?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone
Formenton-Pageau-White
MPS-Paul-Burrows

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Wideman-Wolanin

Anderson
Condon

Decent moves overall. I think they try to get rid of Ryan and Burrows. Ryan could be flipped for another bad contract such as Milan Lucic, Corey Perry, Kyle Okoposo or Andrew Ladd.

I would also like the sens to look into adding via free agency. If we can't get Methot back I would consider Signing Jack Johnson.

I would try to sign Kovalchuk but if we can't get him then I would look to sign James Neal or possibly Rick Nash. MPS did a good job but I wouldn't necessarily bring him back. For bottom sixers I would look into adding Patrick Maroon or Antoine Roussell. I would also like to see a bit more toughness as an option so maybe bringing in Ryan Reaves or Jordan Nolan as the 13th forward.

I would like to see the Sens trade for a young prospect that is struggling. Max Domi, Joshua Ho Sang and Nick Ritchie come to mind.

Other then that, we will likely be bargain bin shopping. Tyler Ennis could get bought out and while he isn't great he could be worth a cheap contract. I would also consider offering 2 way contracts to Harry Zolnierczyk and Daniel Catenacci. I have been a fan of PC Labrie so I would consider him for Belleville. Eric Tangradi could be a good two way signing as well.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
That 4th line is awful

Why are we getting Methot back?

Where’s Pyatt?

What are we getting for Dzingel?

Methot to keep Karlsson happy. (Probably cheap to obtain)

Pyatt would be the 13th forward with Burrows.

Dzingle traded for a pick or prospect because we will want to capitalize on his highest value.

4th Line is awful, but probably realistic.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone
Formenton-Pageau-White
MPS-Paul-Burrows

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Wideman-Wolanin

Anderson
Condon

Ditch Burrows and put Pyatt in there

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see a whole lot of changes leading up to the start of next season & if there are any new additions it likely will be internally. If Ottawa is able to get off to a good start next season than it's likely Boucher keeps his job & PD starts to look at re-tweaking the team for a playoff run, if they can keep it up.

If they get off to another crappy start than the coach could get fired & they look to re-build internally. However, all of this could rest on whether EK is re-signed over the summer or placed on the block to be traded.

1. Gaborik - likely bought out although not sure EM would do this
2. Burrows - could be waived & plays the yr in Belleville/Ottawa
3. Pyatt/Claesson - IMO get traded by the deadline
4. Smith/Pageau - one of these guys or both will likely get traded next season. Smith seems more obvious since he may have slightly more value & Ottawa has several good young centres coming.
5. I assume one of the goalies should probably be traded, I would want Anderson but it likely could be Condon. Ottawa really needs to upgrade the goalie position, whether they wait for Hogberg or Gustavsson or go out & get an experienced one remains to be seen. Anderson & Condon have the potential to be a good tandem but whether they will or not with these two is unpredictable. They can be very good & very bad from one game to the next, no long term consistency from them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t see many changes coming next season. Here is my expected line-up:
Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Dzingle -Brown-Stone
Tkachuk-Pageau-Gaborik
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt/Burrows

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Harpur

Anderson
Condon

White will be in Belleville. Budget limitations in effect. No buyouts. No expensive UFAs.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don’t see many changes coming next season. Here is my expected line-up:
Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Dzingle -Brown-Stone
Tkachuk-Pageau-Gaborik
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt/Burrows

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Harpur

Anderson
Condon

White will be in Belleville. Budget limitations in effect. No buyouts. No expensive UFAs.

White will be in NHL next season unless he gets injured in camp again. I think that Dorion will insist (demand) that he gets a very hard look with good players and real ice time.

Look around the league and basically every good team has some young talented players sprinkled in the top 9/4 playing in a meaningful role.

The NHL is no longer about letting prospects slow cook in the development leagues. You need a contribution from the youth to be an elite team.

If Guy continues to play the kids 5-7 minutes game with plugs, he will never get hired again in this league. It's nearly impossible to make an impact playing in that scenario.

Reactions: Flamingo

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wishful thinking, but yah that would be better.

Getting rid of Burrows isn’t wishful thinking. I mean, he was waived earlier and called out pretty directly. Extremely likely he’s bought out for that last year on his K.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad