Selanne and Kariya in the Hockey Hall of Fame!

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014

I think it`s cool Kings did that. Well I don`t like their logo and the black and white look on the picture, but other than that cool :laugh:

I have to give them props for that, and I am hugely surprised by it. Typically, the Kings are a trash organization who pride themselves on being immature pieces of ****, but for them to post that without being prompted and with no hint of disrespect is a classy move indeed.

GermanRocket7

Played silly not to draft Fantilli
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Calling Kariya a "questionable pick" shows emotions get the best of a poster there. Kariya was one of the 30 or 40 best players of all time, and had the league given him the security and double standards like they do nowadays with Cinderella, he might probably have pushed for double the points he eventually got. Post-Suter Kariya was a step and a half behind the original one. Post-Stevens Kariya was another one and a half steps behind the post-Suter Kariya.

It's all fictional, sure, but let's be honest:

put Kariya and Selänne onto a mediocre 80s team and let them play their careers throughout the 80s and until the mid-90s, and they'll put up Gretzky-esque numbers most of these seasons, winning multiple rings. They out-thought and out-skated their opponents easily in the dead puck era and were able to still maintain a lot of speed during a time in which slowing down the game was a primary focus for many teams.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Calling Kariya a "questionable pick" shows emotions get the best of a poster there. Kariya was one of the 30 or 40 best players of all time, and had the league given him the security and double standards like they do nowadays with Cinderella, he might probably have pushed for double the points he eventually got. Post-Suter Kariya was a step and a half behind the original one. Post-Stevens Kariya was another one and a half steps behind the post-Suter Kariya.

It's all fictional, sure, but let's be honest:

put Kariya and Selänne onto a mediocre 80s team and let them play their careers throughout the 80s and until the mid-90s, and they'll put up Gretzky-esque numbers most of these seasons, winning multiple rings. They out-thought and out-skated their opponents easily in the dead puck era and were able to still maintain a lot of speed during a time in which slowing down the game was a primary focus for many teams.

If Kariya and Selanne are scoring at the same rate as Gretzky if they're taken back to the 80s in a time machine then what would Jagr have done? He was outscoring the rest of the league significantly from 97 to 01 so I assume he would hold all the offensive records then if he played in that time?

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I have to give them props for that, and I am hugely surprised by it. Typically, the Kings are a trash organization who pride themselves on being immature pieces of ****, but for them to post that without being prompted and with no hint of disrespect is a classy move indeed.

They've always been good in at least respecting Teemu, so it's no surprise they'd give props to PK, at least when using hindsight to see his impact on SoCal hockey. But yeah, they're usually fairly sophomoric.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
https://www.instagram.com/anaheimducks/

19429240_1865156043749990_6545890919176994816_n.jpg

This probably best explains Teemu and Kariya to me. This is why Teemu's jersey is hanging. Kariya gets acknowledgement for being helping start the Ducks. That's it for me. Congrats on the HHOF to both, but Kariya's number should never be retired as a Duck. Let Teemu be that standard for a Ducks' number to be retired, not Kariya.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
This probably best explains Teemu and Kariya to me. This is why Teemu's jersey is hanging. Kariya gets acknowledgement for being helping start the Ducks. That's it for me. Congrats on the HHOF to both, but Kariya's number should never be retired as a Duck. Let Teemu be that standard for a Ducks' number to be retired, not Kariya.

If Teemu is the standard, we probably won't be retiring anyone else for another 50 years.

Reactions: Se829ne

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Congrats to Selanne and Karyia, well deserved! So sick they get to go in together. Two of my favorite non-Pens players ever. So happy for them & your organization. All the best.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If Kariya and Selanne are scoring at the same rate as Gretzky if they're taken back to the 80s in a time machine then what would Jagr have done? He was outscoring the rest of the league significantly from 97 to 01 so I assume he would hold all the offensive records then if he played in that time?

You're missing the point. No one is saying Kariya was better than Jagr. If you have to be better than Jagr to make the hall of fame then only 7 or 8 guys would be in the hall of fame. You seem to think Sakic, Jagr, Forsberg, Selanne, and Lindros are the only forwards from that era that belong in the hall of fame and thats just ridiculous. That'd be like saying Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, and McDavid are the only forwards from this era that belong in the hall of fame.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If Teemu is the standard, we probably won't be retiring anyone else for another 50 years.

should we retire all numbers? hey, you participated with the Ducks. here's your number. and here's your number. and here's your number.

srsly, people don't understand the concept for retiring numbers.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
should we retire all numbers? hey, you participated with the Ducks. here's your number. and here's your number. and here's your number.

Did I imply that we should retire all numbers? Or did you take what I said and project the polar opposite as my viewpoint? Since superlatives seem to be the only parameters with which you interpret things, I'll just go ahead and provide my ACTUAL opinion for you. I think Kariya deserves to have his number retired by the team. I don't think niedermayer's should be, I'm ambivalent on Giguere.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You're missing the point. No one is saying Kariya was better than Jagr. If you have to be better than Jagr to make the hall of fame then only 7 or 8 guys would be in the hall of fame. You seem to think Sakic, Jagr, Forsberg, Selanne, and Lindros are the only forwards from that era that belong in the hall of fame and thats just ridiculous. That'd be like saying Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, and McDavid are the only forwards from this era that belong in the hall of fame.

Read the post I was responding to. The poster was saying Kariya and Selanne would put up the same numbers to Gretzky if they played in the 80s. I was saying if that's actually the case then Jagr would have broken every single record ever (it's not the case).

And yeah I have high standards. There are a ton of guys I don't think should be in who are, this year added 2-3 more to that list. I think a few more than those listed from that era should be in but not a huge amount more. Teemu is an absolute lock though so I am really happy for him.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

If a guy played for 600+ games, on an expansion team, in the dead puck era, and still leads the team in career points per game, goals per game, is just barely in second for assists per game, and was a Hart Finalist, it isn't a participation ribbon to discuss retiring his number.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

This is way too far. There are legitimate reasons for not retiring Kariya's number, but participation trophy isn't one of them. Kariya is not Todd Ewen or something.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

This is Paul Kariya we're talking about here. The first face of the franchise and still holds many team records. Stop acting like he's Brad Staubitz. It's time to bury the hatchet and retire his damn number already.

Reactions: Se829ne

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I kinda seem him as borderline HOF worthy. But he probably deserves it with non-NHL stuff and the fact that LW is just really weak in general (his 1st/2nd team all-star is good, but he didn't have too much competition then).

His NHL career had 3 amazing seasons but not enough good enough for long enough.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
pretty sure they will retire his number, possibly this year since they are both in the hof.

i did not like how he left but you can't deny his talent, drive or what he did for this organization.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I also did not like how he left, but well, we did trade his biggest friend before that after all, didn`t we? Then they wanted to chase the cup together. It was a mess, but I am not as bitter as I once was about this all. Kariya still did a lot for our franchise, I would be happy to see his jersey in the rafters. With a messege ''Eventually I would never have left if you wouldn`t had traded my friend'' :sarcasm:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Whether they retire Kariyas number or not Giguere has to be next. I'm on the fence about Niedermayer but would lean towards no.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yes, Giggy needs to be up there and Scotty is questionable for me. He did A LOT. But only was here for a few years. That`s a tricky one. I think he is 50.5% yes for me

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is Paul Kariya we're talking about here. The first face of the franchise and still holds many team records. Stop acting like he's Brad Staubitz. It's time to bury the hatchet and retire his damn number already.

his team records are dropping as the Twins are slowly surpassing them. To hockey, Kariya is HHOF. As a Ducks fan, congrats, but no, he doesn't need to have his jersey retired.

The Samueli's depicted it best. Teemu and Kariya are HHOF's. Teemu is great with the Ducks community. Kariya helped establish it, but nothing more. Kariya's records are dropping. Kariya pursued "his hockey dreams", not "ducks hockey dreams". Which is why he can be a HHOF, but not get his number retired.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
his team records are dropping as the Twins are slowly surpassing them. To hockey, Kariya is HHOF. As a Ducks fan, congrats, but no, he doesn't need to have his jersey retired.

The Samueli's depicted it best. Teemu and Kariya are HHOF's. Teemu is great with the Ducks community. Kariya helped establish it, but nothing more. Kariya's records are dropping. Kariya pursued "his hockey dreams", not "ducks hockey dreams". Which is why he can be a HHOF, but not get his number retired.

do you just eat a whole bag of lemons before you read any post involving Kariya? There's so much bitterness that it's actual palpable...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->