Sekera or Yemelin

The Fuhr*

I have an upcomming pick in a prospect draft I'm in and I cant decide which defenseman I should take. Does one have more upside then the other or are they equal. The scouting reports sound liike the same player to me but I have not seen them play and one may have more upside then the other. Your responses will be much appreciated. Thanks

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Like many here, I only saw Yemelin, and only at WJC. But IMO it's enough to pick him. Not only he played well against the best in the world in his age group, he was arguably one of the top defensemen in the tourney. He is quite good at both ends of the ice, and has a bit of a mean streak too. Can't say anything about Sekera, just that I doubt that he can be better than Yemelin.

Jim Boeheim

Sep 20, 2005
Rochester
I happen to like Sekera better.
I think we are gonan see him put up major points if he makes the progression to the AHL (Rochester) next season.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I like Sekera better. Had a killer season in junior this year, and I've always been a fan of his. I think he'll end up playing PP in 4 years with Brian Campbell :) .

ajsonor

Jun 11, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
From the April 4, 2006 Hockey News, Page 10...

Russian Defenseman Hospitalized...

Magnitogorsk dman Evgeny Varlamov was rushed to hospital unconscious and in critical condition ith a dislocated vertecra after getting hit in the nest with a stick... Varlamonv accidentally hit Lada dman Alexei Yemelin in the head with the puck during a March 23 playoff game and was approaching Yemelin to apologize when the 2004 Monteal draft pick swung his stick and hit him, knocking him to the ice unconscious.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Sekera. If they both make it, Sekera will be a power play guy and Yemelin will be primarily a shutdown, defensive guy. Sekera does have a little bite to his game, but not as much as Yemelin, I don't think. If your pool is strictly points-based, well, I think Sekera has the potential to get you more points. If you're looking for who might be a better NHLer, the answer could be different because much of Yemelin's value can not be measured by points. My 2 cents for free.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
ajsonor said:
From the April 4, 2006 Hockey News, Page 10...

Russian Defenseman Hospitalized...

Magnitogorsk dman Evgeny Varlamov was rushed to hospital unconscious and in critical condition ith a dislocated vertecra after getting hit in the nest with a stick... Varlamonv accidentally hit Lada dman Alexei Yemelin in the head with the puck during a March 23 playoff game and was approaching Yemelin to apologize when the 2004 Monteal draft pick swung his stick and hit him, knocking him to the ice unconscious.
Have you seen the video...
It's mort a cross check and wasn't THAT bad. Varlamov shot the puck to the head of Yemelin after the whistle... Varlamov didn't even had a concussion...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Honestly, I think that Sekera is very talented as he put up some good numbers...but in Junior . Alexei Emelin put up 6 goals and 6 assists in 43 games in the Russian Super League (largely regarded as the second best league in the world) playing with grown men in a very well known defensive league...oh yeah hes only 19 and was invited to the Russian national team camp for the World Championships. His improvement from last year to this year is nothing short of remarkable. He dominated at the World Juniors and is an absolute beast with strong skating ability and pretty good offensive instincts as you can already see by the fact he was one of the higher scoring defencemen in the whole league. Sekera might end up potting a few more points in the NHL but i honestly think that Emelin will end up being the much more coveted defenceman....just my two cents..

insider

Nov 14, 2003
gars59 said:
most dominant defensemant in chl , what a joke :biglaugh: told me about vlasic,bourdon,letang,yandle,barker ......

vlasic... no
*bourdon... no
letang... no
yandle... definatly
barker... don't know enough.

*How can a guy who was injured half the year be the most dominant dman in the CHL... and I'm Acadian, thus a bias!

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
gars59 said:
most dominant defensemant in chl , what a joke :biglaugh: told me about vlasic,bourdon,letang,yandle,barker ......
I'm guessing you don't follow the OHL too closely. :shakehead
Anyway, I said "arguably". And while all the DFman you mentioned are very good I don't think any knowledgeable hockey person would think those players are ahead of Sekera to the point where it's a big joke or laughable, if they even rank those players ahead of Sekera at all. Yes, the players you mention are all among the top dozen DF in junior, as are Staal and Parent, but, as OHL polls and all-star teams indicate, Sekera was undeniably outstanding this year.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
gars59 said:
not really man, Sekera had a fantastic year and it could be argued he was the most dominant dman,

Barker had a very average year

Bourdn had a sub par year

Yandle had a great year, but its in the pure offense league in Quebec and not to mention on the best team in the Q

Vlasic: see Yandle

seriously dude, I bet Sekera is more dominate than any D from the Q, Will he be better than all of them in the future, likely not, but the way he dominated in the O, was pretty insane

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
steblick said:
I'm guessing you don't follow the OHL too closely. :shakehead
Anyway, I said "arguably". And while all the DFman you mentioned are very good I don't think any knowledgeable hockey person would think those players are ahead of Sekera to the point where it's a big joke or laughable, if they even rank those players ahead of Sekera at all. Yes, the players you mention are all among the top dozen DF in junior, as are Staal and Parent, but, as OHL polls and all-star teams indicate, Sekera was undeniably outstanding this year.

like emelin was in russia and World Juniors ....

MetalMilitia

Jan 8, 2005
I don't know much about Yemelin, but I do know that Sekera was by far the best Dman in the OHL last season. Judging from that, I would say Sekera is the better player.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Emelin is probable to make the russian world championship team as the 7th or 8th d man. He was very very good for Lada Togliatti this year and he is very good all round. But the one problem he has at this moment is his emotions and he really needs to cut down on penalties. I cant say much on Sekera, except that i wish we had taken him.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The posters who are looking at it as offense vs. D have the right approach, IMO. It's anybody's guess which one will be regarded as the better defenseman, but Sekera is most likely going to have a niche as a silky smooth guy with offensive responsibility, while Yemelin's snarly attitude will see him as more of an abrasive, agitating defender.

I wouldn't read a whole lot into Yemelin's scoring at the WJC... he didn't look like an offensive dynamo while doing it, he had some seeing-eye shots from the point, etc. His rapid progression gives some room to wonder, though, but most times you hear him compared to something in the range between a Darius Kasparaitis and Vlad Konstantinov. The high-end latter of which never got 40 pts playing on a stacked team.

Meanwhile, Sekera is poetry in motion on the ice. I don't know if it's "at best" or "at worst" to say he could have an Ozolinsh-like impact in the NHL. Whether that's good or bad, it's still points in your hockey pool. And I don't say that to intentionally disparage Sekera's defensive game... I'm just saying if worst comes to worst in his defensive development, he'll still have skills and points, IMO.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
golleafsgo_17 said:
not really man, Sekera had a fantastic year and it could be argued he was the most dominant dman,

Yandle had a great year, but its in the pure offense league in Quebec and not to mention on the best team in the Q

Vlasic: see Yandle

seriously dude, I bet Sekera is more dominate than any D from the Q, Will he be better than all of them in the future, likely not, but the way he dominated in the O, was pretty insane

I'm not knocking Sekera. From what I've heard he's awesome. But please stop using the argument that the QMJHL inflates offensive stats because it's a "pure offense league."

In the 1970s and 1980s, I would have agreed with you. But since about the mid-90s, the QMJHL does not deserve the "pure offense" label it gets. I covered the league for a newspaper from 1999 to 2003 so I have a pretty good idea of the style of play in the Q.

I could spend a whole day churning up numbers to support my argument, but consider this.

Goals scored in the OHL in the 2005-6 regular season: 4776 goals. Divide that by 680 games played=7.02 goals per game

Goals scored in the QMJHL in the 2005-6 regular season: 4669 goals. Divide that by 630 games played=7.41 goals per game.

As you can see, there are more goals scored in the Q, but the difference is not so large that it deserves the pure offense label. Also, there were two expansion teams that joined the Q this year, and that normally has an inflationary effect on scoring.

Your argument that Keith Yandle's stats were boosted by playing on a stacked team makes sense.

The Fuhr*

Thanks for all the responses I went with Yemelin. To my suprise Sekera is still undrafted so im going to try and grab him in my next round. Thanks again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad