Seemingly Lopsided Trades Gone Wrong

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe not totally lopsided, but I remember many of us were puzzled when Boston traded Brad Boyes to St. Louis for Dennis Wideman.

Boyes had name brand value as a former 1st rounder. He was still relatively young at 25 and was fresh off of a 26 goal rookie year. Wideman was perhaps best known for losing his edge in a shootout attempt. Boyes would have 43 and 33 goal seasons for St. Louis but his production fell off after that (on a side note, I learned the lesson in my keeper league to watch out for unsustainable shooting %. Boyes shot 20.8% in his 43 goal season.)

Wideman had some good seasons in Boston before being traded to Florida for Nathan Horton. In the end, Wideman probably was useful for longer than Boyes.

Another one that maybe wasn't lopsided by the end, but looked a lot better than it did initially was when Calgary traded Cory Stillman to St. Louis for Craig Conroy.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Schneider for 9th overall. It was a pretty fair trade but a lot of people thought Schneider was the more valuable asset. It looks pretty good in hindsight, but I think Schneider still bounces back.

This is a good one. Horvat is a stud and would kill to have him on my team

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
With just two minutes remaining before the trade window closed (1500 ET), the Penguins snapped up Hossa and Pascal Dupuis for a trio of forwards — Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen and Angelo Esposito — and a first-round draft pick

I remember when this trade happened and thought that the Pens gave a kings ransom. It seemed like a tonne. Esposito looked like the real deal, Armstrong was an up and comer, and a first? Jesus!

None of those players worked out for Atlanta and the first was a bust. The Pens kicked off their dynasty with this trade.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Jagr to the caps? While the Penguins got a pile of crap back, Jagr really didn't play up to standards in Washington and then they traded him to the Rangers while eating 50% of his capspace

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jagr to the caps? While the Penguins got a pile of crap back, Jagr really didn't play up to standards in Washington and then they traded him to the Rangers while eating 50% of his capspace

At the time everyone said it was heavily lop-sided in Washington's favor, but ultimately neither side got what they wanted out of that deal.

I'd still take that offer over the insulting one the Rangers reportedly had on the table (quite secure in thinking they'd have the only bid...a strategy that'd work the next time around).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
At the time everyone said it was heavily lop-sided in Washington's favor, but ultimately neither side got what they wanted out of that deal.

Hindsight being 20/20 why the hell did the Islanders trade for Yashin when they could have got Jagr at half the price. lol

Added bonus, if Penguins had Jason Speeza they probably don't end up with Malkin and Crosby.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hindsight being 20/20 why the hell did the Islanders trade for Yashin when they could have got Jagr at half the price. lol

Added bonus, if Penguins had Jason Speeza they probably don't end up with Malkin and Crosby.

And had Jagr not flamed out so spectacularly in Washington they're not in a position to get Ovechkin. The trade was a failure that resulted in mostly good things for both sides in the long-term. Sport can be funny like that.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Most people thought the avs got screwed I. The Erik Johnson trade.

I’m not even sure what St Louis has left from the trade.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember when the Gologoski for Niskanen/Neal trade went down, and people crucified me for saying the Pens somehow got the two best players in the deal.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Jagr's salary was an issue: Jagr traded to Capitals

Jagr's $20.7 million salary over the next two seasons limited the Penguins' options.

Jagr was 29, while Yashin was 27. Back then with free agency starting at age 31, the Islanders were at least assured of a couple more seasons of Yashin. Extending Jagr was going to be more expensive; Washington gave him 11 million a year while Yashin got 8.75 (and Yashin's deal was backloaded, so the first three years were 22.5 million total).

Maybe it was a secondary factor, but I think Jagr's gambling debts were known back then. So teams might have been worried where his head was at (his tax issues for that time period would become public in 2003). Yashin rubbed folks the wrong way by no showing the final year of his contract with Ottawa, but I think he was considered a solid citizen otherwise.

At the time, the Islanders had some talent on the wings. Mariusz Czerkawski led the 2000-01 squad with 30 goals. They had sacrificed Roberto Luongo and Olli Jokinen the previous year to get Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. At the time, everybody thought Brad Isbister had some power forward potential. But they were lacking depth down the middle, so they went out and got Yashin and Mike Peca.

At the time it did seem short sighted, but they improved from a 52 point club to a 95 point club which nearly won the division.

As for the Islanders offer, give credit to Ottawa for developing Chara. I didn't think anything of Chara back then. I remember scoffing when an Islanders fan posted a proposal of Chara for Jason Arnott. By 2001, I think Kris Beech wasn't thought to be a blue chip guy but he still had some proverbial new car smell as the 7th overall pick in 1999.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Jagr was 29, while Yashin was 27. Back then with free agency starting at age 31, the Islanders were at least assured of a couple more seasons of Yashin. Extending Jagr was going to be more expensive; Washington gave him 11 million a year while Yashin got 8.75 (and Yashin's deal was backloaded, so the first three years were 22.5 million total).

Maybe it was a secondary factor, but I think Jagr's gambling debts were known back then. So teams might have been worried where his head was at (his tax issues for that time period would become public in 2003). Yashin rubbed folks the wrong way by no showing the final year of his contract with Ottawa, but I think he was considered a solid citizen otherwise.

At the time, the Islanders had some talent on the wings. Mariusz Czerkawski led the 2000-01 squad with 30 goals. They had sacrificed Roberto Luongo and Olli Jokinen the previous year to get Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. At the time, everybody thought Brad Isbister had some power forward potential. But they were lacking depth down the middle, so they went out and got Yashin and Mike Peca.

At the time it did seem short sighted, but they improved from a 52 point club to a 95 point club which nearly won the division.

As for the Islanders offer, give credit to Ottawa for developing Chara. I didn't think anything of Chara back then. I remember scoffing when an Islanders fan posted a proposal of Chara for Jason Arnott. By 2001, I think Kris Beech wasn't thought to be a blue chip guy but he still had some proverbial new car smell as the 7th overall pick in 1999.

Even at the time fully knowing the contract situation for jagr(ie 2 years till he is a UFA), I do think Jagr would have been a better option given the price it would have cost to get him(given the Penguins return they probably could have done a deal without the 2nd pick). All that being said given Wang's cheapness around the time it definitely could have played a huge factor.

In the case of Chara I don't believe people expect him to be as good as he is but their was always hope he would be one of the top defensive defensemen in the game around the time of the deal(that being said if the 2nd pick wasn't part of the deal chances are he would have been)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I still don't get why Jagr was totally crapped all over during his time in Washington.

His first season, he was 5th in league scoring his first season despite missing 13 games.
He was also running at a PPG pace his final season in Washington (which also would have put him top 5 scoring) with the Owner publically calling him out as a failure, and made it be known publically he was to be traded.

member 105785

Schneider for 9OA, Canucks fans were constantly told Schneider had no value and then got crucified for only getting the 9OA pick. Horvat turned out pretty great and Schneider has had a few great seasons but has only been okay this year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I remember when the Gologoski for Niskanen/Neal trade went down, and people crucified me for saying the Pens somehow got the two best players in the deal.

I think a lot of the Oleksiak stuff is a continuation of that. Niskanen was sold as a liability who seemingly checked out mentally and the Stars quite literally insisted on him being included to clear his salary.

I do remember most people thinking Pittsburgh won that trade at the time, though, just not because of Niskanen.

Reactions: Viqsi

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well if we're going back a quarter of a century, the Ron Francis trade in 1991 didn't do the Hartford Whalers any favors. Great trade for Pittsburgh though, they got two Cups and a presidents trophy out of it.

I know there were some in the media who thought the Whalers were getting a great return here. Looking at this video, you can tell some of the "indifferent" fans were not happy, they just didn't say it. And I'm sure the ones who were happy were singing a different tune 8 weeks later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad