Seemingly Lopsided Trades Gone Wrong

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Markus Naslund for Alek Stjojanov. lop sided in favor of Vancouver.

Where's the surprise? Everyone aside from Craig Patrick thought that trade was garbage from the start...and was proven right over and over and over again. Hopefully that trade taught GMs a valuable lesson that apparently needed to be taught - don't trade your young near PPG winger producing despite limited minutes for a tall person who can't play hockey because you can't teach size.

Maybe just pick another piece of driftwood off waivers and throw that on your fourth line, instead of throwing a Porsche away because you already had a Ferrari in your garage.

That trade still pisses me off :laugh:

Just think back to the reaction to Pittsburgh throwing away a third round pick for Justin Schultz.

So happy to eat crow about that. My concerns with that deal were 99% timing more than the player. Schultz was a clear candidate to have his game completely re-worked, which seems like an off-season addition and not a dedadline acquisition. Turns out he did both...solid depth option in 2016, and was re-built enough to have a monster year last year before settling into an all-around solid second pairing guy...with 2 rings. Still can't believe that.

Most examples I can think of involve draft picks...which isn't really fair considering it'd be unlikely that the pick would be used the same way in most occasions, but at least those picks can breathe new life into listless old deals...such as the maddening Morrow for Morrow with a light swap of picks deadline deal of 2013. A busting prospect that the fans never liked for a relic who the fans never accepted. Joe has become a journeyman #6/7, while Brenden left via free agency to not do a whole lot more...but the third rounder the Pens picked up in the deal? Jake Guentzel. Without that swap of picks the Pens would have only had one pick out of the first 118 selections (#44: Jarry).

Last edited:
Reactions: Extra Texture

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Blues looked stupid trading Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney to Detroit for a young Adam Oates and Paul MacLean. Turned out to be one of the worst trades in NHL history

Another one was everyone was shocked when the Capitals traded 50 goal scorer Bobby Carpenter to the Rangers for Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller. Trade haunted the Rangers for years

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat and Michael Latta
Jaromir Jagr for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk :(

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Atlanta trading Kovalchuk to the Devils. A few years later Kovalchuk's contract was seen as a boat anchor, and Atlanta used the first round pick they revived to trade for Byfuglien who continues to be an impact player for the Jets.

Reactions: HaNotsri

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What about the Gretzky trade?

The Oilers traded Carson for Klima, Murphy and Graves. Them plus Gelinas were instrumental in Edmonton winning a 5th Cup. Of course if Gretzky stayed on the Oilers they might have won a few more Cups

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The Caps screwed themselves a few times. They Traded Philip Fosberg for Martin Erat and Michael Latta.
Back in the 80s they traded Gaetan Duchesne, Alan Haworth and a First round pick for Dale Hunter and Clint Malarchuck. That first the Caps gave up ended up being Joe Sakic. I hated that trade.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Yes, Cirelli is already a promising looking 3C. Mitchell Stephens was an AHL all star this year and has middle 6 potential. Dominik Masin helped us to the Calder cup finals last year and might again this year, he should be a good third pair defender who maybe becomes a mid pairing one. Even if only 1 of them pan out it's still a win, St. Louis didn't play much longer after the trade, they got a cup run just like we did. Callahan is still useful as we go for another cup run while St. Louis is retired so we are still winning, his contract isn't great but not really hurting us so it doesn't matter. We clearly won and if the 3 kids hit their potential it'll be massively one sided.

Don't forget that Callahan was the main reason we were able to sign Stralman and Boyle when they went to UFA the following year. He also helped to get Girardi this past off season after he was bought out.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
What about Nieuwendyk for Iginla?

Proven 50 goal scorer for a prospect.
Did anyone at the time think it was lopsided? Flames weren't doing much and Dallas gave a guy that just got drafted in the 1st round and was trending upwards.
In retrospect, no one won the trade either. Flames got a franchise legend and without Joe, Dallas doesn't get the Cup.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Where's the surprise? Everyone aside from Craig Patrick thought that trade was garbage from the start...and was proven right over and over and over again. Hopefully that trade taught GMs a valuable lesson that apparently needed to be taught - don't trade your young near PPG winger producing despite limited minutes for a tall person who can't play hockey because you can't teach size.

Maybe just pick another piece of driftwood off waivers and throw that on your fourth line, instead of throwing a Porsche away because you already had a Ferrari in your garage.

That trade still pisses me off :laugh:

the title of the thread is talking about lop sided trade. I don't give a flying f*** if everyone knew it was a lopsided trade in the 1st place,

it was a lop sided trade period whether people knew about it or not.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I remember when the Flyers traded Justin Williams for Danny Markov and I thought the Flyers won the trade. They needed a shutdown defenseman and Markov was a solid #2/#3 at the time and Williams was having trouble just staying healthy. A year later Markov was gone and Williams was scoring 30 goals and winning the Cup.
Markov was gone because our dinosaur GM thought speed was overrated and signed Hatcher and Rathje

Reactions: DaveG

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Mogilny + to Vancouver for Mike Peca, Jay McKee + to Buffalo

At the time, it was very lopsided in favour of Vancouver, especially after Mogilny's 55 goal season. Then Mogilny faded, Peca became a Selke winner and Jay McKee a very, solid and reliable defenseman.

Mogilny didn't really fade though and he had a couple great seasons after that

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Mogilny didn't really fade though and he had a couple great seasons after that

First year with Canucks: 55 goals, 107 points
Second year: 31 goals, 73 points
Third year: 18 goals, 45 points
Fourth year: 14 goals, 45 points
Fifth year: 21 goals, 38 points

I do not see "a couple great seasons" after the first, I see serious fade. He went from a 55 goal scorer with well over 1 ppg, to much less of a goal scorer and way less than 1 ppg after that.

Maybe you're thinking of his years in New Jersey or Toronto?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
First year with Canucks: 55 goals, 107 points
Second year: 31 goals, 73 points
Third year: 18 goals, 45 points
Fourth year: 14 goals, 45 points
Fifth year: 21 goals, 38 points

I do not see "a couple great seasons" after the first, I see serious fade. He went from a 55 goal scorer with well over 1 ppg, to much less of a goal scorer and way less than 1 ppg after that.

Maybe you're thinking of his years in New Jersey or Toronto?

Exactly, the Canucks dipped and he had some injuries but if you look at his career there I’m pretty sure it ends up near PPG and yes I was also referring tonsome nice years he had with Jersey and Toronto.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The Philly/Quebec Lindros deal

at the time it looked like Philly got the next great one for just some picks and prospects...just so happens one of those prospects was Forsberg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Most examples I can think of involve draft picks...which isn't really fair considering it'd be unlikely that the pick would be used the same way in most occasions, but at least those picks can breathe new life into listless old deals...such as the maddening Morrow for Morrow with a light swap of picks deadline deal of 2013. A busting prospect that the fans never liked for a relic who the fans never accepted. Joe has become a journeyman #6/7, while Brenden left via free agency to not do a whole lot more...but the third rounder the Pens picked up in the deal? Jake Guentzel. Without that swap of picks the Pens would have only had one pick out of the first 118 selections (#44: Jarry).
Another example along these lines would be when Adam Foote forced his way out of Columbus. We got a 1st and a 4th. The 1st became four prime years of RJ Umberger, and the guy drafted with the 4th was David Savard. Meanwhile, Foote missed about as many games to injury as he actually played during his second stint in Colorado and retired three years after the trade.

A less high profile example would be when everybody knew the Rangers ripped off the Jackets poaching Nikolay Zherdev and Dan Fritsche for two depth defensemen. Three of the players involved were out of the NHL within two years - Zherdev, Fritsche, and Christian Backman. The fourth player, Fedor Tyutin, stayed for nearly another decade.
but yeah howson totally sucked at trades amirite

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Schneider for 9th overall. It was a pretty fair trade but a lot of people thought Schneider was the more valuable asset. It looks pretty good in hindsight, but I think Schneider still bounces back.

Reactions: canuckslover10

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oof. Forgot about Conacher for Bishop.

For Vegas I think a lot people thought trading a third round pick and taking Haula instead of Dumba and only getting back Alex Tuch was a stupid trade. But Haula has been incredible for Vegas and Tuch has legit top 6 powerforward potential. Sure Dumba is solid but Haula and Tuch have already paid higher dividends in the playoffs alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad