Seemingly Lopsided Trades Gone Wrong

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Selanne for kilger and tverdovsky. Two teenage top 5 picks looked like a great return. mayhe not lopsided but if you're moving a star player for financial reasons, that's as good of a package as you could want. Neither worked out

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Rundblad + 2nd for Turris

Rundblad was just coming off a 50P SHL season in which he won the Swedish equivalent of the Norris, and was considered among the best prospects in hockey.

Turris was looking like a major disappointment as a former 3rd overall pick, and was thought of as a longshot to fulfill his potential. I remember that the word bust was incorrectly thrown his way at the time.

Consensus was that it was a big overpayment by the Sens. Well Rundblad ended up busting completely and Turris ended up being a top 2 line center.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I agree with the Lindros and Neely trades. Both were steals for the Bruins and the Nordique.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Rundblad + 2nd for Turris

Rundblad was just coming off a 50P SHL season in which he won the Swedish equivalent of the Norris, and was considered among the best prospects in hockey.

Turris was looking like a major disappointment as a former 3rd overall pick, and was thought of as a longshot to fulfill his potential. I remember that the word bust was incorrectly thrown his way at the time.

Consensus was that it was a big overpayment by the Sens. Well Rundblad ended up busting completely and Turris ended up being a top 2 line center.

This is the best answer, I think. The hype around here for Rundblad was absolutely insane. I was mind-boggles that the Sens were the ones adding the pick.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
An interesting one I remember in the pre-internet discussion days from the 96-97 season was a Boston-Washington deadline deal of Adam Oates, Rick Tocchet, and Bill Ranford for Jason Allison, Anson Carter, and Jim Carey. The guys Boston shipped out were star names, and all they got back were a pair of nobodies and kind of a joke.

Then while the goalies were a wash Allison and Carter, a pair of rookies with 91 games and 33 points between them, immediately became the better forwards the very next season.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I agree with the Lindros and Neely trades. Both were steals for the Bruins and the Nordique.

Lindros trade got better for the Nords as time went on, but I don't remember people saying they lost the trade when it happened. The Neely deal is just before my time .. did most think the Bruins lost that one at the time? Its possible as iirc Pederson was a 90+pt player til after the trade.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Not at all lol. If anything most people thought boston got the better player, then 6 months later when IT plays its proven that yeah, boston got the better player .
I had Isaiah above Kyrie for sure and at the time Crowder etc still had value. But it could still be a win for Cleveland depending on how they use the Nets pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Speaking of Purcell. LA acquired Jeff Halpren to help their playoff push and sent Tampa Purcell + 3rd round pick for him. Halpren had 2 points in the regular season and none in the playoffs then left in free agency. Purcell who looked like a fringe NHLer ended up putting up 50 points the next year and had a 40 and 60 points season in Tampa.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dominik Hasek in the expansion draft avoidance move? Buffalo sent Christian Ruuttu, already gimped by a bad shoulder, to the Jets for Stephane Beauregard, then they sent SB and a fourth-round pick that was eventual Eric Daze to the Hawks for Hasek. The Hawks completed the shenanigans by sending Beauregard back to the Jets for Ruuttu. The Jets got to protect a goalie. The Hawks got a depth center. Buffalo got a 2-time league MVP.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just think back to the reaction to Pittsburgh throwing away a third round pick for Justin Schultz.

Better yet go back to the thread on the Minny board when they picked up Dubnyk. There were some amusing comments in that one.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
You mean like...instantly? I know most trades are done so that one team gets the short term advantage while the other gets the long term advantage.

A lot of people here are using the term "ended up being better for ___"....well of course, that's why they made the trade.

I think OP means trades that are more like the Erat/Forsberg trade. An established solid forward for some Swedish prospect who probably won't amount to much (let's imagine nobody knew anything about him at that point).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What about the one no one wins?
The Dion trade from Calgary. Turns out it was shitty for both sides. Matt Stajan stayed the longest on their respective team.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Originally I thought, how can the Oilers trade an established high scoring winger for some defenseman? It turned out Larsson was a defensive machine with gigantic upside in all areas, especially defense and offense from the back end, who single-handedly gave them that team-defense they had lacked, whereas the Devils are out in the first round. Bizarre swing of fortune.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I remember when the Flyers traded Justin Williams for Danny Markov and I thought the Flyers won the trade. They needed a shutdown defenseman and Markov was a solid #2/#3 at the time and Williams was having trouble just staying healthy. A year later Markov was gone and Williams was scoring 30 goals and winning the Cup.

Reactions: DaveG

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'm lazy and haven't bothered to read through the thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a lot of Leafs fans were furious when Clark was traded for Sundin. That trade could have been the greatest in team history if they didn't then give up the pick that became Luongo to get Clark back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->