Secret Daly,Linden,Batterman and Saskin meeting ended just 2 hours ago(1:45 EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

This is apprently true. If John Mcfarlane is correct, he apprently has information of a secret meeting that went on tonight between Daly, linden, batterman and Saskin at a north york restaurant.

Take it for what it's worth. But Ive read this guys work for years ( i believe he's had a few guest columns in THN) And his stuff is usually very good and his information is usually very reliable.

http://johnmacfarlane.blogspot.com/

"As one of the members of the media who was duked into showing up at the sutton place hotel, I will admit first hand that I have no "real" meat or news from the 7 hour negotiation meetings in Toronto yesterday. I did however manage to find out where Bill daly was dining after the negotiations."

Crows*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Why is the name "Colin" in his profile?

In most media outlets you have a choice to change your first name to "sound better" with your last name.

His real first name is Colin. He's been known as John since he began writing.

It's actually quite interesting I actually just learned about this at my sports media course at BCIT here in Burnaby. We got to make our own media name haha.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Crows said:
In most media outlets you have a choice to change your first name to "sound better" with your last name.
For the print media?

Interesting.

I see he misspelled "duped" and "Halifax" too. Pretty sloppy for a grizzled newsroom vet. Especially on his blog debut.

I see he's a former "Hockey Editor." The Chronicle-Herald must be the only metro daily in Canada with one.

Although I must admit he spins a good yarn. haha

Crows*

Bicycle Repairman said:
For the print media?

Interesting.

I see he misspelled "duped" and "Halifax" too. Pretty sloppy for a grizzled newsroom vet. Especially on his blog debut.

I see he's a former "Hockey Editor." The Chronicle-Herald must be the only metro daily in Canada with one.

HMM good points. Apprently he is either in his old age and forgettfull now or it's an imposter!!!! :(

Stupid hopes. :(

Crows*

Reilly311 said:
OMG THEY'RE EATING DINNER!!!!!!111 HOCKEY IS SAVED!!!1111

You're a fool.

If this is true whicih is questionable now. Dinner between the two parties till 2 am in a reserved restaurent is news. More news than we got from yesterdays meetings
:banghead:

Crows*

But yes but back to the topic at hand. Print media may change their names as well. I beleive this popularized around 1994.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Crows said:
But yes but back to the topic at hand. Print media may change their names as well. I beleive this popularized around 1994.
Oh I see.

That would have been about the same time that Jeff Gillooly changed his name to Jeff Stone. He was quite the trendsetter.

Incidently, I notice that that the blog has just been updated to fix the misspelling of "duped." Also, "Haliax" is now "Halfiax."

Why is "Colin's" surname spelled as "MacFarlane" in the URL and "McFarlane" on his page? Or is that some new-fangled journalism thing too?

Last edited:

Crows*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Oh I see.

That would have been about the same time that Jeff Gillooly changed his name to Jeff Stone. He was quite the trendsetter.

Incidently, I notice that that the blog has just been updated to fix the misspelling of "duped." Also, "Haliax" is now "Halfiax."

Why is "Colin's" surname spelled as "MacFarlane" in the URL and "McFarlane" on his page? Ot is that some new-fangled journalism thing too?

I can imagine the old man in bed. "OH CRAP I MISPELLED HALIFAX AND DUPED ":lol :lol :lol

Who knows.. I just read this and posted it.
We'l soon see if it has any crediblity.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Looks like everyone is catching on the "Eklund" craze. He's started a new fad with bored wanna-be journalists.
Now I wonder why these bloggers get all the breaking news... hmmmm... :shakehead

Crows*

Bicycle Repairman said:
You really think it does?

WEll Like I said "wel soon see"

The only reason for me to believe there may be some credibility to it is that there is a writer named John Mcfarlane and he did write several THN articles in the mid to late 90's.

But as you pointed out. Alot of it is suspect.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
This can't be real -- look at the timestamp it was posted and the time he says they left the meeting. He speaks past-tense when future tense is obvious.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
If it is fake, the creator should probably be hoping the real McFarlane doesn't take legal action. Eklund's trick is that he doesn't identify himself by name. That way, nobody can come after him if he's faking it. ISPs are pretty willing to turn over logs, etc. when the lawyers get involved. Either it's real, or the guy who faked it doesn't care (or didn't think) about losing money in lawsuits. ;)

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
The Webmaster of Hockeyfans.at brings the Rumor in that Coaches of the Swedisch Elite League got the message that NHL Starts on 3. February???

Should come from a realiable source...

Anyway i can't believe that..

rwilson99

Crows said:
This is apprently true. If John Mcfarlane is correct, he apprently has information of a secret meeting that went on tonight between Daly, linden, batterman and Saskin at a north york restaurant.

Take it for what it's worth. But Ive read this guys work for years ( i believe he's had a few guest columns in THN) And his stuff is usually very good and his information is usually very reliable.

http://johnmacfarlane.blogspot.com/

"As one of the members of the media who was duked into showing up at the sutton place hotel, I will admit first hand that I have no "real" meat or news from the 7 hour negotiation meetings in Toronto yesterday. I did however manage to find out where Bill daly was dining after the negotiations."

Highly dubious. His repeated use of the word impasse is irresponsible at best.

Probably one of our highly qualified posters here at HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad