Seattle Mock Expansion Draft: Built For Future

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I will eat my pair of work shoes if the Leafs expose Dermott. And film it. And post it.

That's how confident I am he won't be exposed.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This was debated at length on Twitter if you’re interested in my thoughts:

Essentially, the Flames are choosing between losing Andersson or Dube if the expansion draft was held today for the upcoming season.

It would definitely be Dube exposed, which would suck, but that's how it would have to be.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In that scenario, I'd see Seattle taking Petry. He's better if they pull a Vegas and compete right away or he'll be a very good trading chip if they flop.

Only scenario where Kulak is better is one where they think they can be bona fide cup contenders in 2021-2022 in which case they wouldn't benefit from Petry or his return.

Other nitpicks:
- I don't think Rielly provides more offence and he's weaker defensively than Kulak, so no question there.
- McCarron got injured, that's why he didn't play a game for Montreal. He was having his best year in the AHL and really hit his stride under Bouchard. Still not a consideration for Seattle in a 2019-2020 scenario though.
- Lindgren is waiver eligible in 2019-2020 and will most likely be traded or waived so picking him would be a waste.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
As a Blues fan having watched every game this year, Sundqvist has been significantly better than Barbashev. Sundqvist is a very strong 2-way center that can play up and down the lineup and on the wing. He is great on the PK as well. There are players that are great defensively, and then there are players that turn great defensive plays into offense. That's Sundqvist. I actually went back and watched the condensed replays of every Blues game this year and it stuck out to me how many times Sundqvist would be involved in a great defensive play that either stopped a scoring chance, or led to a chance for the Blues.

I can see Sundqvist being a solid, 2-way 2nd liner at his peak, and he has already shown that he can play big minutes in several situations. Barbashev I can't see getting anywhere above the 3rd line. It appears that he has taken on the role of a physical bottom 6 guy who is responsible defensively, and will put up okay numbers offensively.

Just my two cents.

Sundqvist is better than Barbashev at this point, but Barbashev has quicker, better hands. He's also two years younger and clearly better than Sundqvist was at the same point in their careers. I don't expect Barbashev to take a sudden leap forward in his development the way Sundqvist did, but I also don't expect Sundqvist to necessarily keep improving offensively. By the time the expansion draft rolls around, Barbashev could be the clear choice between them.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
In that scenario, I'd see Seattle taking Petry. He's better if they pull a Vegas and compete right away or he'll be a very good trading chip if they flop.

Only scenario where Kulak is better is one where they think they can be bona fide cup contenders in 2021-2022 in which case they wouldn't benefit from Petry or his return.

Other nitpicks:
- I don't think Rielly provides more offence and he's weaker defensively than Kulak, so no question there.
- McCarron got injured, that's why he didn't play a game for Montreal. He was having his best year in the AHL and really hit his stride under Bouchard. Still not a consideration for Seattle in a 2019-2020 scenario though.
- Lindgren is waiver eligible in 2019-2020 and will most likely be traded or waived so picking him would be a waste.

Appreciate the insight, noted on all fronts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad