Seattle Expansion draft: who to protect

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Buff has been this season by far the best defenceman overall. Last season he was too much a hit or miss, but this season he has been great apart from just few really bad games.

I'm big believer of winning your own game and Buff has been by far the best D this season to do that according the stats.

It's true that he is a bit expensive compared to his value, but less so than Little for example.

If Buff is still performing at the same level two years from now I'll revisit my decision. But he will be entering the last year of his contract. Would you rather lose Niku at this point? Assuming the roster doesn't change wouldn't you rather protect:

Trouba Morrissey Niku?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If Buff is still performing at the same level two years from now I'll revisit my decision. But he will be entering the last year of his contract. Would you rather lose Niku at this point? Assuming the roster doesn't change wouldn't you rather protect:

Trouba Morrissey Niku?

I haven't seen Niku playing a lot tbh @ Moose, but still Buff is a proven NHL superstar and Niku has so far been playing FEL and AHL. I am more than happy if Niku makes a huge breakthrough and then yes, maybe protect him instead because Buff has only one year left and his contract is not exactly cheap.

I think that 8 forwards / 3 d-men scheme is a bit harsh towards our defence but I am confident that Chevy will make some protective trades when needed like he did with Vegas (Thorbs).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I haven't seen Niku playing a lot tbh @ Moose, but still Buff is a proven NHL superstar and Niku has so far been playing FEL and AHL. I am more than happy if Niku makes a huge breakthrough and then yes, maybe protect him instead because Buff has only one year left and his contract is not exactly cheap.

I think that 8 forwards / 3 d-men scheme is a bit harsh towards our defence but I am confident that Chevy will make some protective trades when needed like he did with Vegas (Thorbs).
At that point we had a high draft pick we won't anymore. In addition, how many first round draft picks can we give up? Also, I can see Buff has taken a step back. He is still great, but, is not as fast as he was last year. Age has already started taking its toll on him. He's still great now, but, will he even be as great next year? Two years from now?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Protected Players:

Laine
Scheifele
Ehlers
Connor
Roslovic
Wheeler
Perreault

Morrissey
Trouba
Niku
or Byfuglien(will Niku be eligible and how does his development go beforehand?)

Hellebuyck

Exempt(or at least I think):

Vesalainen
Green
Berdin
Samberg
Stanley

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If the expansion draft is next year, I'd go:

Laine
Scheifele