Seattle Expansion draft: who to protect

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Seattle expansion draft happened tomorrow who would you protect?
If we give up a first to protect someone it will be awhile since we had a high first round pick.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Goalie

Protect Helle

Expose Mason

Defense:

Protect Morrissey, Buff and Trouba

Expose Chariot, Myers and Kulikov

Forwards:

Protect:

Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Perrault, Little, Lowry, Armia

Connor, Laine and Roslovic exempt.

Expose Copp, Tanev

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This is way too early for this IMO. We can’t even predict what next season’s roster will look like . We have two entry drafts, two UFA seasons to get through, two trade deadlines before we get to an expansion draft. And that assumes a 2020 start. Has Seattle even begun renovations yet?

There are just too many variables

PinkPanther204

Nov 13, 2014
Goalie

Protect Helle

Expose Mason

Defense:

Forwards:

Protect:

Expose Copp, Tanev
LOL at leaving Laine exposed

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Goalie

Protect Helle

Expose Mason

Defense:

Forwards:

Protect:

Expose Copp, Tanev

You are re-signing Mason?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This is way too early for this IMO. We can’t even predict what next season’s roster will look like . We have two entry drafts, two UFA seasons to get through, two trade deadlines before we get to an expansion draft. And that assumes a 2020 start. Has Seattle even begun renovations yet?

There are just too many variables
You are right. How do I delete thread?

PinkPanther204

Nov 13, 2014
I suppose. But we know for sure he won't be exempt by the time the draft happens so I guess the situation is kinda silly

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You are right. How do I delete thread?

Apply to be a mod ;)

There’s nothing wrong with a thread like this in principle. I would not be surprised if some offseason moves by the Jets will be made with a potential expansion draft in mind

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
If we leave Laine exposed, at least we will have certainty as to who will not be on our future roster, so we can plan around that.
;)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It’s likely safe to say when the actual expansion draft happens in a couple of years, the Jets will go 7-3-1 again.

Based on existing players, I’d protect:

Hellebuyck

Morrissey
Trouba (assumes he’s resigned, not traded)
Byfuglien (if he’s not a cap casualty earlier)

Laine
Ehlers
Scheifele
Connor
Wheeler (assumes he’s resigned)
Roslovic
Little

If Wheeler is not resigned, then Lowry gets protected.

Assuming they are under contract at the time and not traded along the way, we will lose an Armia, Perreault, Lowry, Copp or any of our bottom 3 d. The impact would be a bit more than losing Thorbs. :sarcasm:

Edit: Vesalainen likely will have replaced Perreault on the 3rd line by that time, and finding a 4th line replacement for any of Lowry, Armia or Copp, should be rather easy. Jets will need to get a quality C or two in the pipeline.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Protect: F- Scheifele, Wheeler, Little*, Copp, Perreault*, Lowry*, Ehlers (Connor, Laine, Roslovic, exempt; stars are ones I'd swap one of those three for)
D - Morrissey, Byfuglien and Trouba
G - Hellebuyck

Realistically, I expect us to trade Roslovic, sign Connor and Laine to extensions. For some reason I see Comrie being the one that gets taken once it's his turn up here (unless he gets traded).

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think based on what I’ve seen I would be protecting Niku and leaving Buff exposed. Plenty of time to change my mind though

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I would protect
Helly
Connor, Schief, Laine, Ehlers, Roslo, Lowry. I think Little, Perrault and Wheeler in 2 years will have gone downhill.
For D. I protect Trouba, Morrissey, Niku/Buff. If Buff goes downhill anymore in 2 years I would protect Niku if he turns out to be great.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
We wouldn't have to protect Buff, would we? Cause at that point he only has a Modified NTC and chances are Seattle would not be on that right? (because it doesn't even exist yet)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
We wouldn't have to protect Buff, would we? Cause at that point he only has a Modified NTC and chances are Seattle would not be on that right? (because it doesn't even exist yet)

Only NMC need to be protected. Buff loses his NMC on July 1 Modified NTC did not have that requirement for Vegas

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Let's review the rules, although people should still have them at the forefront of their mind considering the amount of conversation this topic had last time around.

Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

The OP asked who would be protected if the expansion draft was today. Many posts so far aren't accounting for this.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think based on what I’ve seen I would be protecting Niku and leaving Buff exposed. Plenty of time to change my mind though

Buff has been this season by far the best defenceman overall. Last season he was too much a hit or miss, but this season he has been great apart from just few really bad games.

I'm big believer of winning your own game and Buff has been by far the best D this season to do that according the stats.

It's true that he is a bit expensive compared to his value, but less so than Little for example.

Reactions: Ippenator
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
With expansion rules staying the same, were the draft to be "tomorrow" I'd be employing a 7-3-1.

Forwards: Scheitele, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Ehlers, Armia
Defensemen: Trouba, Morrissey, Byfuglien
Goal: Hellebuyck

Notable Exempt: Laine(2), Connor(2), Roslovic (1), Poolman (1), Niku (1), Comrie (2), Lemieux (2), Stanley (0)

Notable Unprotected: Mason, Copp, Dano, Petan, Tanev, Kulikov, Myers, Chiarot, Morrow

UFA's: Stastny, Enstrom, Matthias, Hendricks

A shame expansion doesn't happen tomorrow. When it does our only notable exempt player currently under contract will likely be Stanley.

When the draft really occurs the Jets lose either one of the best young players in the league, or a leading veteran.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->