Season Tickets Renewals

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Are you saying that lowering the cost of season tickets will increase the number of STHs, and thereby overall revenue from same?
What sounds more likely to increase ticket/concession sales?

A) The decreasing number of STH each year now get slapped in the face with a huge increase?

B) Prices decrease or stay the same?

You are starting to become delusional.

Cap is going up, but we are shedding salary, saving at any cost.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What sounds more likely to increase ticket/concession sales?

A) The decreasing number of STH each year now get slapped in the face with a huge increase?

B) Prices decrease or stay the same?

You are starting to become delusional.

Cap is going up, but we are shedding salary, saving at any cost.

Cap is going up, Ceiling and the Floor, right?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Seems like your doing the same tbh.
How so? I said the cap is going up. Do we spend anywhere near it? We shave off other parts of the organization to penny pinch yet we raise ticket prices for fans of the team that is already struggling to fill the barn. Does that make any sense to you at all?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Cap is going up next season, and there will be some Senators in line for bigger contracts.
Have the Sens announced that they will be increasing the budget and/or spending to the cap?

How is the cap increase relevant for the Sens?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Man, I'm one of those lucky kids who got to go to hundreds of sens games because my dad had season tickets. He was the 10th person in line back in 1991 (or 1992) for season tickets, and has had them ever since. I'm 23 now and am so grateful that I've gotten to go to so many games with him. But with all of this Melnyk trash and Alfie 5 years ago and now Karlsson, he is seriously considering not renewing for next year. I never thought I'd say that.

That news was so devastating to me that I told him to keep them for next year and sell/give away tickets to whatever games he doesn't want to go to, and that I'd buy them from him the year after when I can afford it. Those seats mean a lot to me (they're also really good) and I'm also hoping that having them for 26 years would help with priority for the arena in LeBreton. It's just so shitty that Euge came in tarnished everything.

F***, this sucks. Screw this guy.

Anyways, there's my rant about STH renewals.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
I think the reality of the situation is that the Senators sales are fully aware that renewals will be down this year. They are thus increasing prices to try to maintain a revenue target and have decided that an increase in prices is the most probable route to acheive it. They know that lowering prices will not result in new revenue.

Alternatively, they are simply taking a long view of the situation. They have a target price for the Lebreton opening which will clearly be higher and have decided to stagger that increase over time or in advance.

Reactions: coladin

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I think the reality of the situation is that the Senators sales are fully aware that renewals will be down this year. They are thus increasing prices to try to maintain a revenue target and have decided that an increase in prices is the most probable route to acheive it. They know that lowering prices will not result in new revenue.

Alternatively, they are simply taking a long view of the situation. They have a target price for the Lebreton opening which will clearly be higher and have decided to stagger that increase over time or in advance.

My thinking as well...sort of like that band aid is going to hurt no matter what so may as well yank it off right away.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Cap is going up next season, and there will be some Senators in line for bigger contracts.

You need to take a course in microeconomics. The demand for Sens tickets is not inelastic. Increased prices will likely result in decreased demand and possibly lower overall revenue.

Reactions: 18Hossa

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

The problem with the first theory is that it will decrease the number of STHs, which will make the arena even more emptier. It is a better strategy to reduce prices when the team is doing poorly to maintain the STH base and then increase it when the team is doing well. I had no problem with the modest increase last year after they went to ECF.

As for the second, it would probably be a better strategy to go into Lebreton with cheaper prices to start, fill up the building and then raise ticket prices when a solid base has been established. Look at Netflix, they made the price really cheap to begin with and started raising prices when the subscriber base became established.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm really not sure what the thought process is on raising season ticket prices when sales have already been faltering, and the team is in a bit of a tailspin in terms of on ice result.

Raising ticket prices will inevitably result in less renewals, unless there's a carrot at the end of the stick if you buy, which I don't see right now.

I get that they are likely trying to maintain a revenue threshold, but man... this doesn't seem like the way to get there, and on top of potentially backfiring, even if it succeeds it creates a bad taste in a lot of your most loyal fans mouths.

Reactions: 18Hossa

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You need to take a course in microeconomics. The demand for Sens tickets is not inelastic. Increased prices will likely result in decreased demand and possibly lower overall revenue.

Not really, there are a group that will go not matter what and they are banking on those people to renew. Corporate seats will renew because they can, small business too. They will lose Joe Fan somewhat, but lowering prices will only hurt the bottom line. It is going to be a dismal renewal.

Money is not the reason why people are not renewing. They are not renewing because of the uncertainty of their most popular player of possibly not being back. They are not renewing because they do not like the direction of the team.

So if you do not like the direction of the team, or the thought of losing Karlsson, what exactly will help if they drop your tickets 5%?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, I'm really not sure what the thought process is on raising season ticket prices when sales have already been faltering, and the team is in a bit of a tailspin in terms of on ice result.

Raising ticket prices will inevitably result in less renewals, unless there's a carrot at the end of the stick if you buy, which I don't see right now.

I get that they are likely trying to maintain a revenue threshold, but man... this doesn't seem like the way to get there, and on top of potentially backfiring, even if it succeeds it creates a bad taste in a lot of your most loyal fans mouths.

With EM making the calls it is becoming clearer and clearer there is really no plan...I have had at length discussions with my rep over the last 2 weeks and have tactically explained with examples that what they are offering as benefits and price points won't cut it, I feel sorry for them at this time.

I can afford it but am on the side that I cannot continue to support an owner who is clearly focused on dollars and cents over creating a winning brand.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Not really, there are a group that will go not matter what and they are banking on those people to renew. Corporate seats will renew because they can, small business too. They will lose Joe Fan somewhat, but lowering prices will only hurt the bottom line. It is going to be a dismal renewal.

Money is not the reason why people are not renewing. They are not renewing because of the uncertainty of their most popular player of possibly not being back. They are not renewing because they do not like the direction of the team.

So if you do not like the direction of the team, or the thought of losing Karlsson, what exactly will help if they drop your tickets 5%?

Money is the main reason I’m not renewing. It’s also the reason why I can’t get anyone to buy tickets with me. Also know some Corp ticket owners who aren’t coming back next season. There are many reasons...but I think that money is a big reason for a lot of people.

I just hope this doesn’t backfire on the organization.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Money is the main reason I’m not renewing. It’s also the reason why I can’t get anyone to buy tickets with me. Also know some Corp ticket owners who aren’t coming back next season. There are many reasons...but I think that money is a big reason for a lot of people.

I just hope this doesn’t backfire on the organization.

Same. My rep just offered me not more than 10 minutes ago a signed Dzingel jersey to renew because I told him raising prices is a dumb idea in the midst of all this uncertainty. I told him I want valet parking...let's see what they come back with now. If I am being honest, he sounded a little indignant about my stance and lamented that I turned down tickets for this year. I explained to him the analogy of how business world operates, I hope he got it! :laugh:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Same. My rep just offered me not more than 10 minutes ago a signed Dzingel jersey to renew because I told him raising prices is a dumb idea in the midst of all this uncertainty. I told him I want valet parking...let's see what they come back with now. If I am being honest, he sounded a little indignant about my stance and lamented that I turned down tickets for this year. I explained to him the analogy of how business world operates, I hope he got it! :laugh:

When he comes back, ask for a signed Melnyk jersey. Ya. I went there. It will be pretty hilarious if they make a Melnyk jersey and have him sign it for you.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
When he comes back, ask for a signed Melnyk jersey. Ya. I went there. It will be pretty hilarious if they make a Melnyk jersey and have him sign it for you.

Yeah, really hilarious. I need something of value though, he may charge me $1000 bucks for it :laugh:

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Guess they got a lot of complaints...the SportChek sections have been reduced. Now the increase over this season is more in line to the rest of the arena.

It’s not changing my mind on renewing the seat I hated, but others might be convinced to renew now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, I stumbled across this post on what perks STH get across the league and thought it might interest some folks. It's a bit dated (Mar 2014) and from everything I've heard, the perks have gotten a bit worse since, but it gives you an idea of where we fit in relative to other teams.

Appendix: STH Perks

19. Ottawa Senators (Thanks to @DJRezz):
The full perks list can be found here and the selections you can make are based on the amount you spend, tenure, and where your seats are located. Some of the additional perks are 20% off at the team store, discounted parking (free for full STHs with tenure of 5 years, or half STHs with tenure of 10 years), team credit/cash back based on your seat costs (with the former giving you a larger percentage), and ticket trades (being able to trade your tickets for a game of equal value through the team). In addition, for those who renewed for the upcoming 2014-2015 season, the Senators offered 10% back as well as entries into a draw for 10 big prizes such as a trip to the Heritage Classic in Vancouver or $1000 gift cards.
The Ottawa Senators held a meet and greet this season for STHs, but it was combined with the public meet and greet. It was held on September 21st, 2013. The public meet and greet consisted of two autograph sessions at different times with around a dozen players (including prospects) available for each. In addition, the public event featured a game worn equipment sale, an open practice/scrimmage, and a Q/A with Spezza/Methot/Kassian. The meet and greet event for STHs actually overlapped with the first public autograph session. STHs were each given a random number that allowed them to meet one of six random players (MacArthur, Phillips, Turris, Karlsson, Michalek, or Anderson). Photos and autographs were both allowed, and the team provided sharpies as well as a Sens poster featuring several players. Club STHs had their own event at the same time in a separate room and had access to players that the public and normal STHs didn't, such as Bobby Ryan. Here are three photos, one from the public event, the normal STH event, and the club STH event.
On top of the meet and greet, the Senators offer STHs first seating access to the development camp scrimmage during the summer which features all their prospects. Afterwards, the STHs are given a Q/A with management/coaching staff. This is followed by autograph/photo opportunities with all the prospects. The Senators do provide sharpies as well as a special 8.5x11 development camp photo to get signed if they wish. Due to time restraints, most STHs can only meet around half the players. This season the workers didn't stop people from taking photos with the players as they did in the past. The Senators also hosted a watch party at the Canadian Tire Centre to watch the Heritage Classic game on the jumbotron. They provided two free food items (pizza, pop, popcorn, fries, and hot dogs) as well as had two Sens alumni (Shaun Van Allen & Brad Marsh) on hand. They also had an equipment sale and a chance to get a photo in front of the dressing room, training room, and centre ice.
The Senators perks have definitely been declining the past few seasons, especially the meet and greet. Previous years' meet and greets have been only open to STHs and allowed them to meet multiple players (although most stars were absent) for photos and autographs (with around 60% of the NHL team in attendance as well as prospects attending the training camp). These events usually lasted two hours and also offered tours of the locker room and training room, inflatable rides for the kids, as well as roaming Alumni members (Ron Tugnutt, Laurie Boschman etc.).

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
So, I stumbled across this post on what perks STH get across the league and thought it might interest some folks. It's a bit dated (Mar 2014) and from everything I've heard, the perks have gotten a bit worse since, but it gives you an idea of where we fit in relative to other teams.

Appendix: STH Perks

By all accounts they have been getting worse, and will continue that trend next year. Some STHs have said that they have been told that next year, the ticket exchange program which was a heavy selling point of full season tickets will be limited to games in the same tier. They also said that a higher up wanted to get rid of/reduce the parking passes. Apparently a ticket manager is still touting their perks as "the best in Canada" and that paid attendance was actually up this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->