Season ticket wait list

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think if they improved the rewards system, that would be a good first step.
This would've been a good year to introduce the Jets Rewards program...a small sweetner and nod to loyalty. Introducing it 5 years ago and then slowly eroding the value is like a nut punch to loyal STHs.

Also, they need to make the games more fun. The organ isn't the solution (actually that thing is f***ing awful - I hate it with all my being). I swear to God that cancelling Helmet Pardy was a huge PR blunder...outside of playoffs the atmosphere has never recovered.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
TNSE, to their credit, has been reacting to the softening of the market. Allowing below face value pricing on Seat Exchange. Partnering with that other site mentioned above to find people to add to your STH group. If things continue to soften, they could lower concession prices (the Atlanta Falcons slashed concession prices and revenues increased: In Atlanta, Concessions Prices Go Down and Revenue Goes Up), freeze ticket prices (although revenues won't go up in that case), more promotion, more perks for STHs. The cap keeps going up so they have to keep butts in the seats at a pretty high ticket price. Of course, making the playoffs regularly will help quite a bit too.

It should but I think Winnipeg is weird. The play of the team is seemingly irrelevant. The team has been superb this year and very exciting to watch, especially at home. I haven't been to any of the last seven games I was supposed to go to for health reasons and I've had a dickens of a time selling anything. And the games weren't all dogs either (Lightning, Coyotes, Blues, Rangers, Capitals, Panthers, Kings). I didn't sell a game on ticket exchange and they were listed for season ticket price. Didn't sell a ticket on here for season ticket price. They all went via my wife's work and to a couple of my friends at my cost. Face value during the regular season seems dead.

I'm quite certain that playoff tickets will be in high demand but I'm not entirely convinced that everything will get snapped up at Stub Hub like pricing. Even if they do, how does that help out the season ticket holder that's on the hook and paying full season ticket price the rest of the year?

We were warned by both Bettman and TNSE that the pricing would be high and logically so because of the small market and the small building, that's just economics. But I think TNSE is going to have to step up their game to retain season ticket holders. Tickets are easy to get for anything but a handful of teams in the league. The wait list is largely a mirage in my mind. Sure, it exists and there are legitimate people on it no question but I'd love to see a breakdown of what they're looking for. Certainly a proportion can either afford or write-off against business expenses for P1-P3 but I'd guess 75% or more are looking for P4-7 because of the prices. P3 is currently just a hair under $10K a year for a pair of seats. And the waitlist members get the same discount currently as season ticket holders (15%) on merchandise.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It should but I think Winnipeg is weird. The play of the team is seemingly irrelevant. The team has been superb this year and very exciting to watch, especially at home. I haven't been to any of the last seven games I was supposed to go to for health reasons and I've had a dickens of a time selling anything. And the games weren't all dogs either (Lightning, Coyotes, Blues, Rangers, Capitals, Panthers, Kings). I didn't sell a game on ticket exchange and they were listed for season ticket price. Didn't sell a ticket on here for season ticket price. They all went via my wife's work and to a couple of my friends at my cost. Face value during the regular season seems dead.

I'm quite certain that playoff tickets will be in high demand but I'm not entirely convinced that everything will get snapped up at Stub Hub like pricing. Even if they do, how does that help out the season ticket holder that's on the hook and paying full season ticket price the rest of the year?

We were warned by both Bettman and TNSE that the pricing would be high and logically so because of the small market and the small building, that's just economics. But I think TNSE is going to have to step up their game to retain season ticket holders. Tickets are easy to get for anything but a handful of teams in the league. The wait list is largely a mirage in my mind. Sure, it exists and there are legitimate people on it no question but I'd love to see a breakdown of what they're looking for. Certainly a proportion can either afford or write-off against business expenses for P1-P3 but I'd guess 75% or more are looking for P4-7 because of the prices. P3 is currently just a hair under $10K a year for a pair of seats. And the waitlist members get the same discount currently as season ticket holders (15%) on merchandise.
I think it was like a badge of honour to pack the arena and go nuts over a not-great team in the early seasons. I mean, any fan can support a winning team - it takes a real fan to support a loser though! :laugh:

The playoffs will sell like hotcakes I think. It'll be a crazy atmosphere and every hockey fan with the means will want to get in on it. A portal back to the honeymoon years.

I'm sure if things get bad for TNSE they'll take more steps to shore up the STH base. There's a lot they can do.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Those seats are all paid for.

The wealthy season ticket holders in the lower bowl could care less if they miss a game I guess.
And these will be full with paying customers throughout the playoffs, and paid for once again next season.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There's definitely less demand. Furthermore, there's about 2-3 thousand empties during home games.

No way is there 2000-3000 empty seats in the lower bowl at home games. Completely, utterly false. MAYBE 200-300 scattered through the entire arena and those would almost all be paid for. If there was that many empty, it would look like it does at a Carolina or Florida home game.

Also, personally I don't have much trouble getting rid of tickets of I need to, even for Tuesday games. Sure its not how it was season one or two but I can still sell if I need to, it's never been massive panic and desperation to give tickets away to Winnipeg cheapskates on kijiji like some people are trying to portray here.

I'm sensing a false narrative perpetuated in this thread by a few people here about empty seats and fan enthusiasm. Also every game I've gone to this season the place has been rocking and loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: mondo3 and KingBogo

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
There's definitely less demand. Furthermore, there's about 2-3 thousand empties during home games.

Not sure where you’re getting this information. These empty seats you speak, most are paid for. Many area people that are in the concourse or Moxies drinking st any given point.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No way is there 2000-3000 empty seats in the lower bowl at home games. Completely, utterly false. MAYBE 200-300 scattered through the entire arena and those would almost all be paid for. If there was that many empty, it would look like it does at a Carolina or Florida home game.

Also, personally I don't have much trouble getting rid of tickets of I need to, even for Tuesday games. Sure its not how it was season one or two but I can still sell if I need to, it's never been massive panic and desperation to give tickets away to Winnipeg cheapskates on kijiji like some people are trying to portray here.

I'm sensing a false narrative perpetuated in this thread by a few people here about empty seats and fan enthusiasm. Also every game I've gone to this season the place has been rocking and loud.

I'll agree with you about the no way are there that many empty seats. But since I've been one that's been vocal about the difficulties in trying to move tickets I'll protest your comment. It's not massive panic and desperation and nor have I portrayed it that way. But it's certainly not been easy. Ticket exchange is useless even when selling at season ticket prices, at least for me in P3, I suspect because of the added fees. I don't go anywhere near Kijiji because I know what that's like from selling other stuff. But Lightning were a tough sell at my cost? That makes no sense at all. I'd apply the same to the Blues (important divisional rival), Rangers (original six though admittedly not a great team though they beat us), Capitals (Ovi?), Kings (good team, beat us). Maybe it's because I'm not upper deck but I'm absolutely not making anything up about trying to move tickets. It ain't easy and I'm not talking about scalping or even face value. $110 is what I sell them for (my cost is actually $112). I'd ask where your seats are that they're so easy to sell? Maybe that's the biggest difference maker.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll agree with you about the no way are there that many empty seats. But since I've been one that's been vocal about the difficulties in trying to move tickets I'll protest your comment. It's not massive panic and desperation and nor have I portrayed it that way. But it's certainly not been easy. Ticket exchange is useless even when selling at season ticket prices, at least for me in P3, I suspect because of the added fees. I don't go anywhere near Kijiji because I know what that's like from selling other stuff. But Lightning were a tough sell at my cost? That makes no sense at all. I'd apply the same to the Blues (important divisional rival), Rangers (original six though admittedly not a great team though they beat us), Capitals (Ovi?), Kings (good team, beat us). Maybe it's because I'm not upper deck but I'm absolutely not making anything up about trying to move tickets. It ain't easy and I'm not talking about scalping or even face value. $110 is what I sell them for (my cost is actually $112). I'd ask where your seats are that they're so easy to sell? Maybe that's the biggest difference maker.

Im in the uppers so yeah I probably do have a cost advantage for selling. Sorry, didnt mean to sound rude. The 2 to 3000 empty seats comment someone else said got me a little hot becuase its completely false and reeks of trying to stoke anxieties.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
^--- The fees are insane and that goes along way to not reselling seats. And for nothing more than the ability to have a computer program transfer the seats from one account to another ( basically updating the seat owner info. on 1 row in a database table ) they charge your first born.

bek816

Mar 17, 2012
^--- The fees are insane and that goes along way to not reselling seats. And for nothing more than the ability to have a computer program transfer the seats from one account to another ( basically updating the seat owner info. on 1 row in a database table ) they charge your first born.

The fees could be reduced, but there's more than updating a key in a database required for the "computer program" (a 1990s term). :P

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Im in the uppers so yeah I probably do have a cost advantage for selling. Sorry, didnt mean to sound rude. The 2 to 3000 empty seats comment someone else said got me a little hot becuase its completely false and reeks of trying to stoke anxieties.

No worries at all. I completely agree with you, the 2000-3000 is over the top. That's what is absent from the pre-season games now based on a guy I know with True North, so that should give some perspective. Outside of the first couple of seasons there have always been empty seats. Certainly a couple of hundred is believable but if I'm True North that doesn't worry me since 90+% of those seats or more are already paid for, somebody just didn't show up.

My P3's are right behind the net. Everyone I take to games or that sits in them loves them, but I think if I'm buying P3s I want to be where the better ones are, along the side just inside the blue line. So I reckon people look at my seats but don't love them. It's a very good perspective of the game but I'd rather sit on the side too.

I'm just by nature a bit of a pessimist. I'm happy to keep my seats but I simply can't afford to if guys in my group start to drop out and I worry about that. I know one guy in the group is already stretched (young guy, couple of kids, not the most stable job so not unreasonable). And I don't think TNSE really quite is aware of where they're sitting in terms of the seat holders. Lots and lots of groups are held together by strings. Certainly the boxes and P1/P2 are going to be very stable. And I think there's likely a lot of replacement cattle on the wait list for the uppers but the P3-P5 is kind of that soft spot where the seats aren't the best or all that cheap. I don't recall how many seats that is but 3000-4000 anyway. Again, hopefully it's just my pessimistic nature.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
It’s interesting reading what you guys have to say about your selling experience. On one hand it’s great to hear that more cheaper tickets on the secondary market. I’m planning on moving moving to Montreal eventually, which’ll hopefully mean plenty of weekend trips to Jets games.

But what happens when STHs drop and they run out of wait list members one day?
Do they sell the remaining tickets at full price?

My P3's are right behind the net. Everyone I take to games or that sits in them loves them, but I think if I'm buying P3s I want to be where the better ones are, along the side just inside the blue line. So I reckon people look at my seats but don't love them. It's a very good perspective of the game but I'd rather sit on the side too.

If you still have your seats in a year or two I will definitely buy them for a game or two!

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I've been to 10 games this year and each game probably had 100 or so empty seats (I count.. I also look to sit in better seats).

Not a big deal at all. I just found out that I gave my parents tickets earlier this year, and they decided to stay home and not sell the tickets :(

Reactions: Sabadecade

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I did what I thought I’d never do. I relinquished my seasons after this year. Quite a few reasons behind my decision. The two biggest factors were the difficulty selling tickets and the bs no re entry policy. Not interested is being lied to in the greater name of capitalism. All I’ve seen in the 7 years I’ve been a loyal customer of TNs is increased prices and decreased freedoms. More money, more rules. The games, besides the play on the ice are rather boring. They really have nothing going on. The games and prizes they award are a joke. Bush league at best. Ooooh, plinko for 150$. Big deal. This is the bigs. Better games and much bigger prizes. I was at a leafs game in Toronto a few years back. The prizes were like $1500 for intermission games. Where’s the kiss cam btw? People became offended or did it somehow cost TN too much money. And the organ. Ugh. Worst organist on the planet. At the end of the day, it seems as though TN doesn’t give a s$&t about their customers, besides milking every last penny they possibly can out of each and every one of them. I stopped buying beers and concessions a few years back and am happy to no longer be forking over my hard earned money for tickets I can’t even sell. Step it up TN. Your looks are fading. That hot girl complex you have won’t last forever. Pretty soon you’ll have to form a personality or you’re not going to have any suitors left to suit.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The extra cost for the lower bowl just isn’t worth the added cost imo. I honestly prefer the view from the upper seats, the fact that they’re actually cheaper is just a bonus

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s interesting reading what you guys have to say about your selling experience. On one hand it’s great to hear that more cheaper tickets on the secondary market. I’m planning on moving moving to Montreal eventually, which’ll hopefully mean plenty of weekend trips to Jets games.

But what happens when STHs drop and they run out of wait list members one day?
Do they sell the remaining tickets at full price?

If you still have your seats in a year or two I will definitely buy them for a game or two!
Still lots of people on the wait list better suited to be ST holders. During the initial frenzy many bought in on tickets that weren't well suited. Either too much $, not enough time, not really committed etc. It wasn't a means test but rather who could get in on time. Actually favoured younger (and poorer) fans that had multiple computers going trying to get in during the first few hectic minutes. This group is being weeded out and gradually replaced by those better positioned to be ST holders. I have a buddy who is now retired with a fat pension with his wife still working as a lawyer waiting patiently on the wait list for 4 tickets. He buys tickets regularly on the secondary market but wants his own tickets to go hassle free when he wants and available for family when he can't go.

Reactions: Sabadecade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad