• Still undecided but probably yes

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Still undecided but probably no

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
My family has had season tickets for this team since the WHA days. Think about that for a second or three. 40 some years, through good and bad. Even got honoured at centre ice before a game as long time STHers. Even with the best player in the world to view, and a beautiful new rink , the value for our money has just not been there, and the years of incompetence and losing have finally wore us down. My brother and I have decided to let them go. Would love to hang on, wish things were different, but we've been talking about this for years, and sadly, now we will move on and spend our hard earned money elsewhere.
You're aware that this means Kevin Lowe will no longer care about you? o_O

Just joking, but wow what a sad story! I don't want to see the Oilers fold anytime soon, but I would dearly love for a huge swath of long-time season-ticket holders, just like yourself, to give up the tickets en masse and have it becomes a national news-story. Some shame on the organization for its treatment of fans, at this point, would be most welcome.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This thread comes up every year and every year it's the same answer.

The price will keep going up as long as the demand continues to outweigh the supply. The teams on ice performance doesn't mean jack.

I do wonder how much longer they can keep the demand high, though.

The demand is flagging. I can't even get rid of my seats this year for well below cost.

If the Oilers have another crap year next season, season ticket retention will go off a cliff.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A guy did respond immediately. I thought he would show some concern, and ask questions over why. Especially considering the length of time we've had STs. But all he did was confirm the cancellation request and that was it. I think that is your answer and gauge. I understand there is a waiting list for STs, soI'm sure someone will snap up ours. My bro and I will buy the 5-6 games we really like on places like Stubhub and go to those in the future.

That really surprises me. After the last lockout I was fed up with the NHL and cancelled the 4 lower bowl seats I had, was a STH since 1977, and like you was going to buy the games I wanted on the secondary market.

I got two calls, one from the season ticket rep and one from senior management. That was under the old Oilers ownership group led by Cal Nichols and they made a sound case for me to stay, that the lockout was necessary to fix the NHL business model and make the Oilers a viable franchise in a cap system.

It turned out in the last year or three of the DoD I couldn’t even give them to staff for games vs Buffalo or Arizona. The only reason I hung on was the new building and McDavid.

Now that the lustre of the new building is wearing off and the Oilers are having yet another non playoff year with tickets plentiful on the secondary market at reasonable prices I can see them bleeding off STH who are fed up.

I understand there is a huge wait list so pent up demand should soak up the lost STH but to allow long time customers to walk without so much as a conversation about why is beyond reproach. Customer retention in a non-playoff year after the expectations this team had should be first and foremost with the front office.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Every person who says they aren't renewing should have their name listed and we'll check back in the fall. I think people talk a big game about not renewing, but when they have to make that final decision, I'd say 80-90% of people renew.

Reactions: Night Witch

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Every person who says they aren't renewing should have their name listed and we'll check back in the fall. I think people talk a big game about not renewing, but when they have to make that final decision, I'd say 80-90% of people renew.

In the fall? Deadline is next Thursday lol. I'm thinking I will give the team one more year. If we are this far down again next year I am out (probably :laugh: :help:).

TheOilSaulGoodman

Mar 16, 2018
Nisku
In the fall? Deadline is next Thursday lol. I'm thinking I will give the team one more year. If we are this far down again next year I am out (probably :laugh: :help:).

i am in the same boat. ive had seats for a number of years and not sure i can stand another bad season. but in the meantime, the price increase for my seats works out to like $2.00 per game. i waste that on coffee a few times a day. would rather put that towards watching the best player in the nhl and a team that is a move or two away from continuous playoff runs. :) boys have been playing decent as of late. one-goal games. ill give them another chance here. im new to the boards here so will probably get called a homer, but im ok with supporting the home team.

Reactions: Night Witch

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
He (McDavid) is incredible to see, but to have to put up with the rest of the garbage out there just become too much. Maybe this is just an outlier year, and they come back with a vengeance next year, who knows.

This organization doesn't deserve the support of its loyal fanbase. They too often take it for granted. Besides the new arena (paid for by the public) they have done next to nothing over the years to improve the entertainment value of attending a game. (Vegas is setting the new standard.)

And it doesn't take much math to find the "outlier" of the last twelve seasons.

Skawtty

Aug 29, 2015
Central Alberta
Anyone know what the lithograph is this year I just got my renewal in mail as I live out of town. Was wondering if it is worth it or not to come up and grab them? the last few were useless.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I wonder if the Oilers will send a plant to join HF and then post in this thread how it's great value and will renew?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Anyone know what the lithograph is this year I just got my renewal in mail as I live out of town. Was wondering if it is worth it or not to come up and grab them? the last few were useless.
Google Image Result for https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54e28954e4b0ba8a73773366/5a97599a0852296b12df8152/5a9759db0852296b12df9162/1519868426817/Draisaitl+Lithograph+Feb+21.png?format=750w

Id say worth it this year, it's a pretty good draisaitl pic. I'm still pissed we still don't have a McDavid though.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I usually renew immediately but this year I waited until yesterday to renew. My season ticket rep called me on Wednesday and left a voice message and called me again yesterday before I renewed. Obviously he doesn't know exact numbers and this could just be a guess, but said they are expecting 95% renewals. He also would not tell me how long the waiting list was (like it is some big secret).

Also for the first time I will be selling half my tickets. Section 110

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I usually renew immediately but this year I waited until yesterday to renew. My season ticket rep called me on Wednesday and left a voice message and called me again yesterday before I renewed. Obviously he doesn't know exact numbers and this could just be a guess, but said they are expecting 95% renewals. He also would not tell me how long the waiting list was (like it is some big secret).

Also for the first time I will be selling half my tickets. Section 110

Good luck selling them. They are currently going for less than half price. I recommend that you really do some searching in the hope you can find someone to split them with unless you want to take a bath monetarily.

Reactions: McDaddy

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Sorry, I'm not a Tier 1 fan who can afford season tickets so I don't know when renewal deadlines are.

Let all the big talkers post a pic of their denied renewal. The sheep will be back....

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
005_story_001.jpg

Crankyfrank

Sep 11, 2016
Good luck selling them. They are currently going for less than half price. I recommend that you really do some searching in the hope you can find someone to split them with unless you want to take a bath monetarily.
Selling has been tough this year...and people only seem to want weekend games regardless of the opponent. I renewed this year.........if we are not competitive next year I am out.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
They were raising out seat prices 1000 per seat this year that was enough for us we have been f***ed around ever since moving to the new barn. Plus it's not worth the time to go out and watch this garbage they are presenting us with.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The demand is flagging. I can't even get rid of my seats this year for well below cost.

If the Oilers have another crap year next season, season ticket retention will go off a cliff.

I'll admit I am on the fence. The lone reason I am probably sticking around is we got DRL seats in the upper bowl and they have proven to be valued real estate - either in the secondary market or just to enjoy the game. They still sell well to our group of friends and co-workers and considering this season has been a bomb we still have people calling and still paying us above face value.

I think what will drive me away is a couple of things:

1) the demand for our DRL seats dries up (no sign that it will but it might).
2) they fire Chiarelli and give his job back to one of the Three Stooges. Won't turn this into a debate on Chiarelli, but if they fire him and bring in new blood I'll be at least open to seeing what happens.

Another presser with MacT or Lowe or Howson talking about "bold moves" and that'll probably be it for me.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
They were raising out seat prices 1000 per seat this year that was enough for us we have been ****ed around ever since moving to the new barn. Plus it's not worth the time to go out and watch this garbage they are presenting us with.

Where are you sitting? That is outrageous.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Never really got the allure of having season tickets. Half the time when I have tickets to a game I find myself not wanting to even go, getting out to the arena, sitting in cramped seats, overpaying for drinks, etc. By the start of the 3rd I’m always wondering a good time to leave and beat the crowd.

It’s fun once in a while but about the last thing I want to do on a Tuesday night, let alone 41 times a year. Rather sit at home and watch on TV or a pub.

Maybe if I was young, rich and retired with no kids I could get down with it. I’m none of those.
It's just a nice luxury to have or have for business. Go to some games or give them to emoyees.

Even when we did well last year I would just go to see my buddies and have a few drinks. Feels like a lot of work going.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
It's also a business in the end. In this market, somebody will want another persons seats of they are not renewed. That's just how it is.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
yeah

this time last year people were bitching and complaining about being waaaay done the list

and when the oilers bounce back

we will have two threads

1--So happy I did not give up my ST
2- Man was I dumb to give them up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad