OT: Season Ticket Price Analysis

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Not sure where to put this. Feel free to merge it with other threads. I will be adding to this throughout the year to try and provide an objective view. I have my own hypothesis about what the data will show, but will reserve opinion until all data is collected.

At the end of the season last year I had a conversation with my sth rep about why the San Jose Sharks were raising my season ticket prices.

I was given the following reasoning - "we looked at secondary ticket markets to see what tickets were being resold for, and closed the gap between season ticket prices and secondary market prices"

This year I have decided to do my own research. I will be collecting ticket prices for equivalent seats to mine throughout the year. I would love to see what other season ticket holders find if they are interested in the data as well. Ultimately it will show the financial benefit/burden of San Jose Sharks Season Tickets.

First installment (I will try to go back and look at games that have already happened)

Sharks vs Lightening 11/8/2017

My season ticket price: Premium Lower Reserve $230 for 2 tickets

Secondary market price: Premium Lower Reserve (same section one row closer) $145 for 2 tickets

Season Ticket Holder Savings: -$85

Edit:

I have not been able to find any way to go back and see what tickets were sold for in the past. This tells me, if it wasn't already obvious, that you probably have to pay for access to their API which will let you mine the data. I'm sure every major sports franchise is paying TM, StubHub, etc. for access to that data.

Last edited:

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I anticipate that you'll find STH take a beating on all weeknight games, and may have some savings over the secondary market on weekend games against high interest teams.

Overall, you'll probably find that the front office continues to show zero loyalty to the ones that give them the guaranteed income every season at the expense of trying to appeal to casuals who don't care about hockey, because the Warriors are the hot ticket in town right now.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I haven't had much issues selling some of my tickets at slightly above face this season (I'm in 220, $30 face value seats)

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I anticipate that you'll find STH take a beating on all weeknight games, and may have some savings over the secondary market on weekend games against high interest teams.

Overall, you'll probably find that the front office continues to show zero loyalty to the ones that give them the guaranteed income every season at the expense of trying to appeal to casuals who don't care about hockey, because the Warriors are the hot ticket in town right now.

What's crazy is my buddy has GSW season tickets, and he is experiencing the same issue. His are $160 fv, and he has been selling them for around $120-$130 per seat per game.

It seems as if this isn't isolated to the Sharks. I imagine most major sports teams are trying to close the secondary ticket market gap, and season ticket holders are taking the brunt of it.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5-10 yrs in major markets.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I haven't had much issues selling some of my tickets at slightly above face this season (I'm in 220, $30 face value seats)

That's surprising, but awesome. Perhaps the difference in ticket price has something to do with it? Would be interesting to see the same analysis on a lower cost seat.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
11/16/2017 Sharks vs Florida

Premium Lower Reserved Section 114 Row 22 $122.60 total.

Sth savings: -$107.40

Total sth savings: -$242.40

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
My dad has had 4 tickets in 113 for about 15 years that he plans on giving up this year after feeling increasingly nickel-and-dimed by the Sharks over the past few years. He's also very unhappy with the lack of hard tickets or even the ability to print pdfs. It's sad cause he loves the team and going to the games, but he's just tired of being taking for granted by the organization.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
11/16/2017 Sharks vs Florida

Premium Lower Reserved Section 114 Row 22 $122.60 total.

Sth savings: -$107.40

Total sth savings: -$242.40

Are you saying that these tickets are more right now than STH price or is that - sign mean that the STH paid $242.40 more than they are now?

Cause mine are $86ea 107 23 and are being sold by the Sharks for $60ea. Total STH Loss for my 2 = $32

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
My dad has had 4 tickets in 113 for about 15 years that he plans on giving up this year after feeling increasingly nickel-and-dimed by the Sharks over the past few years. He's also very unhappy with the lack of hard tickets or even the ability to print pdfs. It's sad cause he loves the team and going to the games, but he's just tired of being taking for granted by the organization.

It is sad to see this kind of treatment of long time supporters.

I love hockey. I have been a die hard Sharks fan since they moved to SJ when I was a kid. I want to be a season ticket holder. I just want to be treated with respect.

The hard ticket thing is such a blatant attempt to monopolize the ticket market that it sickens me. In order to even be able to sell tickets on StubHub I have to go through process to verify myself as a season ticket holder so I can deliver tickets mobily. Or, I can sell them through the Sharks/Ticketmaster monopoly.

I am trying to maintain a separation from hockey operations and the Sharks as a team. They are making it difficult.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Are you saying that these tickets are more right now than STH price or is that - sign mean that the STH paid $242.40 more than they are now?

Cause mine are $86ea 107 23 and are being sold by the Sharks for $60ea. Total STH Loss for my 2 = $32

Yea, it is somewhat counterintuitive to have negative savings vs losses. Same same.

So far we would have saved almost $250 if we were purchasing same tiered seats on secondary markets. I only started keeping track at the Lightning game, so I'm sure it would be worse if I included the first few home games.

Now, if I was really going to take this strategy I would be purchasing the cheapest tickets available, then going to sit wherever I want. When the tank is empty the blue coats don't give a hoot where you sit.

I will put something together on that to. Last night tickets up top were going for $9 right before the game.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If the Sharks are selling individual tickets below STH price, then you should ask for a partial refund. Who ever heard of buying in bulk to pay more?

Maybe that is how it works in Germany and Hasso expects it to work here. But once it becomes well-known that STH pay higher prices, Sharks will only sell the better seats in each of the price sections.

I gave mine up. Still get calls from the personal assistant that cannot get a clue that he was fired. Actually, I'm probably sure he is aware of this and is trying to get rehired.

My old partner from several years ago moved from 219 to 217, and has tried to sell the tickets on that day of the game via facebook. My wife told me that person was giving away a pair to that nights game. I told her that a $20 discount on a pair is not giving them away, but trying to sell at a higher price than what the resell price is normally.

Last edited:

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
If the Sharks are selling individual tickets below STH price, then you should ask for a partial refund. Who ever heard of buying in bulk to pay more?

Maybe that is how it works in Germany and Hasso expects it to work here. But once it becomes well-known that STH pay higher prices, Sharks will only sell the better seats in each of the price sections.

I gave mine up. Still get calls from the personal assistant that cannot get a clue that he was fired. Actually, I'm probably sure he is aware of this and is trying to get rehired.

My old partner from several years ago moved from 219 to 217, and has tried to sell the tickets on that day of the game via facebook. My wife told me that person was giving away a pair to that nights game. I told her that a $20 discount on a pair is not giving them away, but trying to sell at a higher price than what the resell price is normally.

They want to sell season tickets at secondary market prices. We can debate the validity of the logic behind the idea, but that is essentially what my sth rep told me last year.

To be clear, all the tickets I am looking at are on secondary markets. Stubhub, ticketmaster, seatgeek. These are supposed to be all resold tickets. Don't forget that the Sharks and TicketMaster are now in cahoots. The Sharks could sell their unsold tickets through TM at cheaper rates than what they give to sth, and call them verified resale tickets. Are they doing this? Probably not. Can you prove it if they are? Probably not.

We will probably look at downgrading this next year, but we really like where we sit. I heard some folks say they wouldn't even let them downgrade last year. We will cross that bridge if/when we get there.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
We will probably look at downgrading this next year, but we really like where we sit. I heard some folks say they wouldn't even let them downgrade last year. We will cross that bridge if/when we get there.

When we went to select a seat last year, they noted that folks were not allowed to select cheaper seats at that time. I think the only opportunity would be to talk to your ticket rep and confirm renewal at a cheaper price point when they come around asking for money. It makes no sense if folks couldn't ever downgrade, but then again I'm not a big fan of their ticket operations.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
When we went to select a seat last year, they noted that folks were not allowed to select cheaper seats at that time. I think the only opportunity would be to talk to your ticket rep and confirm renewal at a cheaper price point when they come around asking for money. It makes no sense if folks couldn't ever downgrade, but then again I'm not a big fan of their ticket operations.

They are treating the fans worse and worse. I could totally see them letting you downgrade and take away your seniority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad