Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Received a couple emails from the Oilers using Connor and Nuge's images, trying to get us back as STHers. Funny, no mention of the upgraded bathrooms.:D

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Have any other STH's noticed/experienced a decided change in game ushers attitude and demeanor?

Up until the last half of this Season, I have always had a very good rapport and experiences with the ushers throughout the building; and I've never 'been in trouble with the law' as it were.

However, without going into great detail, I find that this is no longer the case.

For example, at times I enjoy standing in one of the main concourse bars and watching the game from there while enjoying a beverage or two. They have put up the strap barriers behind the lower drink rail seats and extended them to the point where you can no longer see the ice surface from the bars (at least the ones that I have been in)

One game, I had various ushers say to me "I wish you weren't standing there", "the people paid good money to not have others behind them talking", and ask "Where are you sitting?"

to which I replied, "I'm not sitting, I'm standing right here".

Leaves a real sour taste in my mouth, considering I was a paying customer at the bar (not that I feel one should have to be to enjoy a view from the concourse).

I do realize that they are most likely doing as they are told, which sours the taste even more ...

I don’t blame them. If I were sitting there I wouldn’t want someone hovering behind me either. If you like the view from that angle buy a drink rail ticket like they did.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Have any other STH's noticed/experienced a decided change in game ushers attitude and demeanor?

Up until the last half of this Season, I have always had a very good rapport and experiences with the ushers throughout the building; and I've never 'been in trouble with the law' as it were.

However, without going into great detail, I find that this is no longer the case.

For example, at times I enjoy standing in one of the main concourse bars and watching the game from there while enjoying a beverage or two. They have put up the strap barriers behind the lower drink rail seats and extended them to the point where you can no longer see the ice surface from the bars (at least the ones that I have been in)

One game, I had various ushers say to me "I wish you weren't standing there", "the people paid good money to not have others behind them talking", and ask "Where are you sitting?"

to which I replied, "I'm not sitting, I'm standing right here".

Leaves a real sour taste in my mouth, considering I was a paying customer at the bar (not that I feel one should have to be to enjoy a view from the concourse).

I do realize that they are most likely doing as they are told, which sours the taste even more ...

Buy a drink rail seat then if you like that view. Otherwise respect the people that did. Ushers are doing their jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simby

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Buy a drink rail seat then if you like that view. Otherwise respect the people that did. Ushers are doing their jobs.
Pretty simplistic.

The season seat holders here purchased seats that back into a bar ... guess you're right
.. probably best to just shut the bar down.

To suggest that I was ever disrespectful to those sitting there is just plain wrong.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
I don’t blame them. If I were sitting there I wouldn’t want someone hovering behind me either. If you like the view from that angle buy a drink rail ticket like they did.
You might not want it.
But the rest is ridiculous.
I was a paying customer in the bar. Heaven forbid there are other people at the hockey game.
Using your train of thought, if the drinkrail seat holders there want that extent of privacy they can purchase seats in the private suites ... or in the loge with Night Witch.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Pretty simplistic.

The season seat holders here purchased seats that back into a bar ... guess you're right
.. probably best to just shut the bar down.

To suggest that I was ever disrespectful to those sitting there is just plain wrong.

Your reply is pretty simplistic. You are in a bar encroaching on someone else space they paid for. If your encroaching in someone else's space, in particular the space they paid for, it is disrespectful. They put up the strap barriers instructed the ushers to watch the space because it seems to me the people in the drink rail seats complained. Think of the other people and not just yourself.

As for the ushers, they are doing a job, a part time probable minimum wage one at that. I have encountered a rude or disrespectful usher at the game (in fact quite the opposite) but I do know I have seen them mistreated by a few rude and disrespectful fans.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Your reply is pretty simplistic. You are in a bar encroaching on someone else space they paid for. If your encroaching in someone else's space, in particular the space they paid for, it is disrespectful. They put up the strap barriers instructed the ushers to watch the space because it seems to me the people in the drink rail seats complained. Think of the other people and not just yourself.

As for the ushers, they are doing a job, a part time probable minimum wage one at that. I have encountered a rude or disrespectful usher at the game (in fact quite the opposite) but I do know I have seen them mistreated by a few rude and disrespectful fans.
I can tell you that I wasn't encrouching on anyones space.
Other than that, obviously our experiences are different.
Thanks for sharing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks for sharing.

Ive got a couple friends who have drink rail seats in the area it sounds like you've described. They love the seats but they literally had people right behind them every game trying to see the ice. That is why I imagine they put up the barriers and asked the ushers to keep that space clear. The concourse is not a viewing area.

Your statement >>One game, I had various ushers say to me "I wish you weren't standing there", "the people paid good money to not have others behind them talking", and ask "Where are you sitting?" to which I replied, "I'm not sitting, I'm standing right here".<< seems disrespectful to the usher who like you say is only doing their job.

Anyway just trying to have you put yourself in the peoples and ushers shoes. I know my friends have had a lot of problems with people behind them in the drink rail seats.

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
I think the issue here is what is your priority...To drink in the bar or watch the game?

If it is to drink...stay in the bar and don't ruin the game for the people who have paid to watch...if it is to watch...go and sit in the seat YOU paid for.
If you want both in that location...BUY a drink rail seat.

Various ushers (your words) have tried to politely tell you not to hover over the drink rail, which I believe is the same opinion that posters on this forum have provided.

Just because you want something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
I did stay in the bar.

I get it.

Some people feel that they own the parking space on the city street in front of their house and get upset when others park there.

Some people park there knowing that the home owners don't own exclusive rights to that space.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
Your actions are not the same as parking on the street in front of someone's house....it is more like walking into their house uninvited.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Your actions are not the same as parking on the street in front of someone's house....it is more like walking into their house uninvited.

Let's not kid each other, if I was in the wrong I would have been removed, I wasn't removed. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Your assumption is that I was in the wrong ...

The concourses, both upper and lower, were originally designed and promoted as being places where attendees could experience and view the games even when not in their seats. The upper bowl drink rail as initially planned was not 'for sale' but a common area for those in the concourse to eat/drink/socialize/watch the game etc. This is fact.

Our philosophical differences in this regard are likely just the tip of the iceberg.

I do sincerely thank you and the others for offering up alternate views, it's likely on both sides we are like fish who don't see the water. C'est la vie.

I won't be replying further, you and others can have the last word if you so choose.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Thanks for sharing.
You thought you werent encroaching on someones space. Everyone has different social skills and comforts. To you it was enough space to the people who paid a couple hundred probably felt like you were breathing down their neck.

Whats comfortable for others even my friends can be awkward for me. So just because it wouldnt bother you sitting there someone standing over your shoulder doesnt mean it is like that for everyone else

sgm1

Oct 30, 2008
Edmonton, AB
You picked the wrong decade bud. :D
I know...i've watched alot of beat downs. I distinctly remember a st. louis game 4 or 5 years ago. The middle of the first period there were so many visibly empty rows near the glass we moved down and watched the last two periods from 250 dollar seats lol Watching them lose over and over has crushed out spirits and wallets.

Reactions: Night Witch

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know...i've watched alot of beat downs. I distinctly remember a st. louis game 4 or 5 years ago. The middle of the first period there were so many visibly empty rows near the glass we moved down and watched the last two periods from 250 dollar seats lol Watching them lose over and over has crushed out spirits and wallets.

I remember that game well. Drove up from Calgary with my son to watch that debacle. Man was I pissed off. :laugh:

Too many times I have bought Mini packs that included games where the Oilers looked like they didnt care at all.
I have no idea why I continue to drive 6 hours round trip and hope for the best. :dunno:

One day it will pay off...right? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I remember that game well. Drove up from Calgary with my son to watch that debacle. Man was I pissed off. :laugh:

Too many times I have bought Mini packs that included games where the Oilers looked like they didnt care at all.
I have no idea why I continue to drive 6 hours round trip and hope for the best. :dunno:

One day it will pay off...right? :D

I left two games this year, the Detroit game and the Buffalo game, so pissed off. Not that they lost but the complete lack of effort.

I keep telling myself the same thing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You might not want it.
But the rest is ridiculous.
I was a paying customer in the bar. Heaven forbid there are other people at the hockey game.
Using your train of thought, if the drinkrail seat holders there want that extent of privacy they can purchase seats in the private suites ... or in the loge with Night Witch.

The point of the drink rail seat is that you are in a more social, bar like setting. Thousands of people are walking behind you, some stopping to watch the action. It’s part of the experience.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Anyone going to the locker room sale on Sunday? I've never been, thinking I might go check it out.

I bought a stick this season at one of the mini sales, if you play hockey and want a decent stick and don't care about the name it's a good time to shop.

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Just got out of the Virtual Relocation Account Manager and there are definitely a lot more seats available than last year. Given that I have aisle in 219 nothing that appealed to my son or me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad