Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
We gave up our season tickets way back when KLowe was busy ranting.

For roughly the same price (usually less) we take a 2 week all inclusive vacation every year. As my wife put it, we get over 300 hours of vacation with food and parking included versus about 120 hours of hockey watching. I get a tan and come back with no stress, best decision ever.

The other thing I noticed is that the Oilers don't give a crap about me not renewing as there are hundreds of people that gladly took my spot. So, if you think you are hurting the organization by not renewing, you're not. Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Reactions: Killer Z

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I received my STH package in the mail. At least Bob Nicholson somewhat acknowledges the disappointing season inside the cover page. During the decade of darkness, they never really seemed to acknowledge the poor product on the ice in their renewal packages. The focus was more so on pumping their young players (all of whom are no longer with the team, or even in the NHL). I suppose you can put a spin on anything with the right marketing.

This is the closest I have ever been to not renewing. I will make it a last minute decision.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Question. I'm not sure this is the thread for it but I don't see any other place for it. I'm listening to Gregors show today & Gregor & Struds were going at it over a number of things, but primarily over the Cities & OEG/Katz Group lack of support for anything that isn't Katz related ( ie FC Edmonton, Pro lacrosse, CFR...etc). But in that discussion Gregor says that the Oilers Community Foundation charges a 60% admin fee, so that if they raise 10 mil, 6 mil goes to OEG (or somewhere like that). If true, its hardly a philanthropic venture. Frankly, given how those guys conduct their business, this wouldn't surprise me, but I find that really tough to believe. Anyone hear anything like that?

I thought I heard Gregor state that the Oilers charged a 65% admin fee of all $$ raised through their charity, but regardless I found this very curious.
After doing some digging, I found this news article from the Toronto Star detailing it.

Star investigation: The high cost of sports charities | Toronto Star

Of note, back in 2008 the Oilers charged an 80% admin fee of all the money raised via their charity, but was reduced to 65% in following years.

Seems like a shame that only 20%-35% of our charitable donations are getting through to the intended recipients.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I thought I heard Gregor state that the Oilers charged a 65% admin fee of all $$ raised through their charity, but regardless I found this very curious.
After doing some digging, I found this news article from the Toronto Star detailing it.

Star investigation: The high cost of sports charities | Toronto Star

Of note, back in 2008 the Oilers charged an 80% admin fee of all the money raised via their charity, but was reduced to 65% in following years.

Seems like a shame that only 20%-35% of our charitable donations are getting through to the intended recipients.
That is a frickin disgrace. Typical Katz and his cronies. No morality or integrity. Just line your pockets. Grifters

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Hello STH!

I’m curious if anyone is looking to sell their Draisaitl lithograph? I would love to buy one but haven’t really seen any on Kijiji yet.

Thanks in advance! :)

Just out of curiousity why would the org now allow the sale of such things? Why only to STH.
\
Not that I would buy one but just curious if theres buyers why they wouldn't just print more.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Just out of curiousity why would the org now allow the sale of such things? Why only to STH.
\
Not that I would buy one but just curious if theres buyers why they wouldn't just print more.

One reason is that it gives season ticket holders something that has cache value and is supposed to make them feel special and unique. It's a value added perk to being a holder.

Sort of like how they have a season ticket holder signing event. Only for STH. Supposed to be an incentive to stay with the club.

That's my 2 cents.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Have any other STH's noticed/experienced a decided change in game ushers attitude and demeanor?

Up until the last half of this Season, I have always had a very good rapport and experiences with the ushers throughout the building; and I've never 'been in trouble with the law' as it were.

However, without going into great detail, I find that this is no longer the case.

For example, at times I enjoy standing in one of the main concourse bars and watching the game from there while enjoying a beverage or two. They have put up the strap barriers behind the lower drink rail seats and extended them to the point where you can no longer see the ice surface from the bars (at least the ones that I have been in)

One game, I had various ushers say to me "I wish you weren't standing there", "the people paid good money to not have others behind them talking", and ask "Where are you sitting?"

to which I replied, "I'm not sitting, I'm standing right here".

Leaves a real sour taste in my mouth, considering I was a paying customer at the bar (not that I feel one should have to be to enjoy a view from the concourse).

I do realize that they are most likely doing as they are told, which sours the taste even more ...

HabOil

Aug 2, 2005
Yes the ushers have been rude and have treated me like crap. Just another reason I did not renew my tickets.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
One of the old ladies that stands by the escalator (the one to the right after you enter from Ford Hall) going up to the 2nd level got angry with my friends and I because we ignored/did not tell her where we were going/sitting. She insisted we tell her where we were going. Wtf? I assume she questioned us because we're Asian but we were only speaking English and we did not look confused. We're all STH. It's not like we were going to a suite or club level that we weren't authorized to go to.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
I have been on the season seat wait list for a few season and I am getting close and will possibly have the chance to buy season tickets this year.
For anyone who has owned season tickets, that has sold the majority of them ( as I live in medicine hat and cannot make as many games as id like too) could I PM you?
Before I end up buying season seats I want to make sure I have all my questions answered well ahead of time .
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

hoove17

Oct 29, 2015
You can PM me if you want, I probably sell 1/3 to a 1/2 of mine most years, and then the rest I use, give away or sell to friends/family at my cost.

HabOil

Aug 2, 2005
Just hope the Oilers aren’t out of it in February. You will do more giving away than selling.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm on the waiting list but for now I buy the ticket packs. I've lost money every year. As long as your not in it to make money you'll be fine.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Given how bad the resale ticket market has been and the high cost of tickets, I don't recommend you getting season tickets if you can't attend at least 10-15 games. The effort to sell and losses on most games isn't worth it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Unless you want seasons tickets to guarantee you seats for the playoffs I’d just buy seats on the secondary market to the games you want to attend and not have to worry about selling your seats. If you want to be guaranteed playoff tickets is the only way I’d buy seasons tickets outside of using them for business purposes.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Unless you want seasons tickets to guarantee you seats for the playoffs I’d just buy seats on the secondary market to the games you want to attend and not have to worry about selling your seats. If you want to be guaranteed playoff tickets is the only way I’d buy seasons tickets outside of using them for business purposes.

It's probably much cheaper just to buy scalped playoff tickets over having season tickets.

Even two seasons ago, first time making the playoffs in ten years, demand for tickets was only really high in the first round.

During the second round against the Ducks, I noticed that home playoff prices on the secondary market had softened considerably.

Over the money I have spent on seasons tickets over the last five years, it would have been cheaper to just buy scalped tickets to every game of their last playoff run.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
May 31st @ 2:15 ....will be interesting to see how many people did not renew this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->