TSN: Searching for Matt Johnson

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Are you arguing that it's acceptable for hockey players to get concussions from fighting because 1) fighting is essential to hockey, and 2) hockey players get concussions in other ways?

I guess I'm just gonna take issue with fighting being essential to the game. The Pittsburgh Penguins had the second fewest fighting majors in the league last season with 12. Kyle Clifford alone had 11 fighting majors in the same season. The Penguins played 71 games in the regular season and about 20 more in the post season without fights. Somehow those games still counted. Somehow the Penguins managed with win the Stanley Cup.

Also, I'm guessing that some of the medications the players take wouldn't be necessary without the concussions, so maybe treat the disease, not the symptom, is what I'm saying.

We can agree to disagree. Regardless of our disagreement on this, best of luck on your recovery from head trauma.
There is no medicine for a concussion. You've obviously never had one. The meds were for his other injuries. Broken hands, injured shoulders etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are you arguing that it's acceptable for hockey players to get concussions from fighting because 1) fighting is essential to hockey, and 2) hockey players get concussions in other ways?

I guess I'm just gonna take issue with fighting being essential to the game. The Pittsburgh Penguins had the second fewest fighting majors in the league last season with 12. Kyle Clifford alone had 11 fighting majors in the same season. The Penguins played 71 games in the regular season and about 20 more in the post season without fights. Somehow those games still counted. Somehow the Penguins managed with win the Stanley Cup.

Also, I'm guessing that some of the medications the players take wouldn't be necessary without the concussions, so maybe treat the disease, not the symptom, is what I'm saying.

We can agree to disagree. Regardless of our disagreement on this, best of luck on your recovery from head trauma.

And then the Pens went out and traded a first round pick for Ryan Reaves, so I know you want to use them as an example of a progressive organization, but they still went looking for their Dave Semenko because they didn't have one.

I'm a big proponent of fighting in hockey (specifically because the absence of player policing/having the instigator penalty in the game has led to rats like Cooke cutting careers short, for instance, in my opinion) but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the risks and I DO think contact leagues should do more to support current and former players as more and more research presents itself. Matt Johnson here is an unfortunately strong example of 1. how tight knit the hockey community is but 2. how large the cap between caring and action is (because I don't doubt for a second that MJ's formmer teammates love him) and much more the hockey community can do to leverage those ties to support each other.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
And then the Pens went out and traded a first round pick for Ryan Reaves, so I know you want to use them as an example of a progressive organization, but they still went looking for their Dave Semenko because they didn't have one.

I'm a big proponent of fighting in hockey (specifically because the absence of player policing/having the instigator penalty in the game has led to rats like Cooke cutting careers short, for instance, in my opinion) but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the risks and I DO think contact leagues should do more to support current and former players as more and more research presents itself. Matt Johnson here is an unfortunately strong example of 1. how tight knit the hockey community is but 2. how large the cap between caring and action is (because I don't doubt for a second that MJ's formmer teammates love him) and much more the hockey community can do to leverage those ties to support each other.
With Ryan Reaves, the Penguins have played 32 games and 4 of them have had fights this season. All of their fights involve Ryan Reaves. Doesn't negate the fact that plenty of hockey games get played without fights, they still count just as much. Again, the argument that fighting is essential to the game is undercut by the fact that it's not even in most games.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
You are validating my point that this is a story from a bygone era. I mentioned that there are still guys like Reaves but, as you mentioned, he only has five fights nearly halfway through the season. This type of enforcer is nearly extinct and most of the "fighters" in the league aren't in his weight class, like Clifford who found out the hard way.

You look at Clifford's 11 fights last season and, while the fight card is decent for today's NHL, it is nothing like the list of scary dudes that the enforcers of yesterday had to deal with. Can you still get KO'd? Sure, but you can still get boarded, elbowed, high-sticked or even cut with a skate blade.

Can hockey be played without fighting? Sure. It can also be played with no icing and the offsides turned off.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Clifford started his career in 2009. We aren't seeing many "enforcer" types being thrown into the NHL straight out of Juniors anymore.

Is Clifford's longest injury for games missed the shoulder injury from this season or the concussions? Think his worst concussion was from being boarded in the 2012 SCFs and not from a fight.

Hard to say, he's been tagged a few times over the years. I thought the Reaves one messed with his head.

Ryan Reaves vs Kyle Clifford Mar 17, 2011

This doesn't look that much better

Sheldon Brookbank vs Kyle Clifford Apr 9, 2011

Kyle Clifford

A lot of fights over the years.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
You are validating my point that this is a story from a bygone era. I mentioned that there are still guys like Reaves but, as you mentioned, he only has five fights nearly halfway through the season. This type of enforcer is nearly extinct and most of the "fighters" in the league aren't in his weight class, like Clifford who found out the hard way.

You look at Clifford's 11 fights last season and, while the fight card is decent for today's NHL, it is nothing like the list of scary dudes that the enforcers of yesterday had to deal with. Can you still get KO'd? Sure, but you can still get boarded, elbowed, high-sticked or even cut with a skate blade.

Can hockey be played without fighting? Sure. It can also be played with no icing and the offsides turned off.
Offsides has nothing to do with player safety. When puck chases were deemed dangerous the rules were changed to minimize full speed collisions into the boards. Not sure where you’re going with that.

Can hockey be played without fighting? Yes. It already is played without fighting for most games.

In regards to the bygone era thing, I brought up Clifford to show you that it’s happening today. You have players who have had multiple concussions due to fights still go out there and fight for a living. Clifford’s history is not all that different from Johnson’s. A big kid who’s primary way to get to the NHL is fight in Juniors. Gets picked in the 2nd round, makes it to the Kings as a teenager, immediately gets into fights to keep his spot. All offense when the gloves are off. Now has an extensive “upper-body” injury history. Is there going to be a “Searching for Kyle Clifford” story someday? I don’t know.

Prominent Kings have had to retire in part due to concussions, not just the grunts. Jason Allison, Mike Richards, Adam Deadmarsh. Deadmarsh was one of my favorites. He struggled with post-concussion symptoms for years. Probably still struggling. He’s just not living under a bridge like Matt Johnson.

Last edited:

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
There is no medicine for a concussion. You've obviously never had one. The meds were for his other injuries. Broken hands, injured shoulders etc.
The article says Matt Johnson had an alcohol and substance abuse problem. Headaches are part of post-concussion symptoms. Do you think hockey players NEVER take pain killers to alleviate symptoms from concussions? Why do you think Mike Richards had oxycodone in the first place?

Take a look here and tell me pain meds and concussions aren’t connected again.

Mike Richards settlement does little to prevent players’ ‘destructive spirals’

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
It's my belief that meds play a roll in Matt's story as well as the many other stories coming out on CTE as well as depression. Unfortunately too many doctors prescribe handfuls of pills to solve the different problems players deal with. People have faith that the doctors have their best interest when prescribing medications, when the reality is that most are just prescribing what's always been prescribed before without much thought into the real roots of their pain. This is a very complex subject and I'm sure everyone has varying opinions and beliefs on this topic. But the medications these players received, are receiving are nothing to ignore. I hope Matt finds help, I hope he's ok, I hope Matt's story sheds light and brings attention to other players and other people battling both physical and mental health problems.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The article says Matt Johnson had an alcohol and substance abuse problem. Headaches are part of post-concussion symptoms. Do you think hockey players NEVER take pain killers to alleviate symptoms from concussions? Why do you think Mike Richards had oxycodone in the first place?

Take a look here and tell me pain meds and concussions aren’t connected again.

Mike Richards settlement does little to prevent players’ ‘destructive spirals’
I'm not saying that but you don't get prescribed Percocet or Oxy's for headaches regardless of concussions. The problem is that they're prescribed that stuff for other injuries and they just end up using them as a catchall for all of their ailments.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
I see a lot of people laying blame to the doctors here.

Do you think the players dont put pressure on them to get them these pills so they can get back on the ice and not lose their spot or next contract? Do you think the teams dont put pressure on the doctors to get these key players back?

I think the finger pointing should not solely rest on the shoulders of doctors. This is a collective problem and all parties are guilty. The focus should be on rectifying the problem.

Reactions: lumbergh

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I see a lot of people laying blame to the doctors here.

Do you think the players dont put pressure on them to get them these pills so they can get back on the ice and not lose their spot or next contract? Do you think the teams dont put pressure on the doctors to get these key players back?

I think the finger pointing should not solely rest on the shoulders of doctors. This is a collective problem and all parties are guilty. The focus should be on rectifying the problem.
100%. Blame the teams for having that insane arms race in the 80's and 90's' the doctors for over prescribing gnarly drugs that are as addictive are heroin and blame the players for pushing themselves to that extreme out of fears of losing their jobs.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So many things we will look back at and be disgusted by. Blame shared by league, teams and players.

Painkillers
Fighting
Seamless glass

Craig MacTavish was playing into the late 90’s without a helmet!

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I was a huge fan of late 90's, early 2000 NHL fighters. Sadly, I was also a fan of WWF wrestling growing up, and the NHL fighters like the WWF Wrestlers are ending up with the same fate.

Don't know if some of you remember Stephen Peat, another fighter during that time. There have been articles recently about him by his father and a writer and how he is completely a mess. Some of the stories his dad tells are similar to the ones Johnson's family tells.

This is tough because guys like Nick Kypreos, PJ Stock, Georges Laraque, Tony Twist, Joey Kocur, etc are all around still and no evident brain injuries but other guys like Mike Peluso, Stephen Peat, Matt Johnson, Chris Simon are a mess. I know also Shawn Antoski had some issues and now turned it around. Same with Dale Purinton. I know former Pred's Enforcer Patrick Cote is in prison for armed robbery.

Is it the fighting? The drugs? The lifestyle? Can't find a place after hockey? Or a mix of all?

What happened exactly to Steve Montador and why? Bob Probert had a heart attack. Sadly, we know what happened to Ewen, Rypien and Belak.

I read an interview Ken Belanger the other day and he mentions that the transition is tough. Carcillo pointed this out recently as well. The guys don't know what to do when their career is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I just don't see how people can blame the NHL at this current day and age. These players know what they're getting into. I don't entrust my boss to tell me what's best for me. My judgment about my health comes down to my shoulders.

Tragic story, but like UFC fighters they put their bodies on the line for fame. No one holds a gun to their head to be employed in the NHL.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I just don't see how people can blame the NHL at this current day and age. These players know what they're getting into. I don't entrust my boss to tell me what's best for me. My judgment about my health comes down to my shoulders.

Tragic story, but like UFC fighters they put their bodies on the line for fame. No one holds a gun to their head to be employed in the NHL.

I'm not so sure. Most kids don't fully understand the consequences of things, they think that they're bullet proof in their twenties. It's not until the side effects become obvious that younguns take notice.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not so sure. Most kids don't fully understand the consequences of things, they think that they're bullet proof in their twenties. It's not until the side effects become obvious that younguns take notice.

It's not up to the NHL to be their parents. I don't expect my boss to be looking out for me.

Reactions: 21Dog

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's an update on Matt Johnson:
Matt Johnson jailed in Los Angeles - Article - TSN

Former National Hockey League enforcer Matt Johnson is in a California jail, charged with felony vandalism following an alleged incident on New Year’s Eve.

Johnson was arrested at 6:48 a.m. PT on Dec. 31 by Santa Monica Police Department officers and has been in a Los Angeles jail since then, Santa Monica Police Lieutenant Saul Rodriguez told TSN in an interview.

He said Johnson was arrested after allegedly causing $1,900 worth of damage to a Denny’s restaurant early in the morning on Dec. 31.

“He went in there, knocked over a Christmas tree, and broke one of the restaurant windows,” Lt. Rodriguez said. “Then he walked to a nearby Mobil gas station and allegedly stole a cup of coffee and cigarettes.”

Police arrested him about 10 minutes after he left the gas station, Lt. Rodriguez said. After he was arrested, Johnson, 42, told police he was homeless.

A source said the NHL Players’ Association is aware of Johnson’s arrest and is trying to help with his defence.

The gas station owner did not file a complaint, Lt. Rodriguez said, so Johnson was not charged with theft. The vandalism charge against him has not been proven.

This last paragraph in the article is very sad.

In a series of interviews with TSN, Johnson’s parents Lee and Brenda described their worry about their son. They both said they can’t discount the role of mental illness in troubles that extend back years and are also are concerned about the addictive painkillers Johnson was routinely prescribed during his time in the NHL.

His father, Lee, said Johnson has been in rehab at least four times and has survived multiple suicide attempts.

Lee said two of Johnson’s siblings traveled to Los Angeles to try to find their brother. After learning that Matt had been arrested, they visited the jail where he is being held. Matt refused to see them.

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
hope this ends in a positive light, but it's looking doubtful right now...

Hopefully one of his ex-teammates will be able to help him figure things out.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Better that he has ended up in jail for now than worse, as bad as that may sound at first glance.

Here's hoping it's the first step towards better days for Matt.

Reactions: 21Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->