Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan is now in the NHL's top 25 for faceoff percentage at 53% and tied at 22nd for goals.

Pretty good for a winger scoring d-man goals. Now if he could only get more goalie assists he could become a more complete player.

Honestly, if Monahan were to simply develop that two-way game a bit more, he'd easily be considered a top 1C in the league.

The goals are there, the faceoff % is there, assists still need to come, defensive zone coverage is a lot better than the start of the year; but still nothing to write home about, and possession has steadily improved year over year.

I think it's likely his natural progression. In a couple seasons this guy will hopefully just put it all together; he seems like a smart kid, so I don't see why not.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Honestly, if Monahan were to simply develop that two-way game a bit more, he'd easily be considered a top 1C in the league.

The goals are there, the faceoff % is there, assists still need to come, defensive zone coverage is a lot better than the start of the year; but still nothing to write home about, and possession has steadily improved year over year.

I think it's likely his natural progression. In a couple seasons this guy will hopefully just put it all together; he seems like a smart kid, so I don't see why not.

I don't think he really needs to develop his abilities more, just a consistent effort over the course of the entire season would be enough to propel him to the top. Like iginla, he seems to have trouble starting off the year but really starts to turn it on in the latter half- that's what makes him so polarizing. We all remember what he's like during the stretch and expect that out of the gates, and are stunned when he doesn't come out flying.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nieuwendyk?

Considering it's on the Flames website as such, too, I'd assume it's legit.

And checking up on it, Joe played two years of college after being drafted (got a cup of coffee at the end of the second year), so Sean had a pretty good head start on him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
My favorite part of the goal was that he straight dominated Hedman in front of the net.

Mony takes a little shot from Hedman then gets behind him, gives him a cross check, waits, then as Gaudreau shoots he gives him another shove which knocks him down and is all alone to deflect the puck and put it in.

Funny how people call Monahan soft or other related garbage when he is always going to the dirty areas in front of the net and takes constant abuse from defenders, especially on the PP.

His play has really picked up over the last couple months after a horrendous start.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My favorite part of the goal was that he straight dominated Hedman in front of the net.

Mony takes a little shot from Hedman then gets behind him, gives him a cross check, waits, then as Gaudreau shoots he gives him another shove which knocks him down and is all alone to deflect the puck and put it in.

Funny how people call Monahan soft or other related garbage when he is always going to the dirty areas in front of the net and takes constant abuse from defenders, especially on the PP.

His play has really picked up over the last couple months after a horrendous start.
Probably after his back healed

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Probably after his back healed

Like I said. Watching him reminded me so much of injured Turris playing last year with a back injury.

Glad to see him playing as well as he has. God knows #100 has been long overdue. Hopefully he can stay hot and finish with at least 25-30 goals to end the year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think the back only hurt him a few games. Then it was a confidence/contract pressure thing. You can tell with Monmy when he has his confidence or not. It's pretty obvious when guys like him and Gaudreau aren't feeling it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the back only hurt him a few games. Then it was a confidence/contract pressure thing. You can tell with Monmy when he has his confidence or not. It's pretty obvious when guys like him and Gaudreau aren't feeling it.

No can say for sure, but he was not moving or skating like he is now. I think it was lingering for while myself. Also he's been so much better at both ends, really nice to see.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yeah Monahan has actually been winning puck battles lately, occasionally several per game. He was winning maybe 1 a week at the start of the year.

He's been playing much better.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I've said it before, back problems can bother you for a long time even though you are "ok". I've had chronic back problems since 2011, they seem to come out of nowhere and when its bad I know I'm unconsciously really careful to not make any sudden movements and I avoid certain positions at the office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad