Prospect Info: Sean Malone (2013, 159th) – '18-19: Rochester #14 (AHL)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think he was sort of forgotten about as a prospect because he went to college and didn't put up gaudy numbers, but I think he will impress. I envision him developing a solid pro game in the image of someone like will Carrier. Good speed, technically sound. The sort of guy that will have great advanced stats and make those around him better but not put up huge counting stats. I'd expect him to win a bottom six job in buffalo by 2018-2019. Shouldn't need long in Rochester. He's actually older than Bailey and Baptise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Malone has the sort of jam in his game that the team is going to need somewhere, sometime. I want to see what sort of role they slot him into in Rochester to start the season. He could be a real interesting option for 4th line center in the future.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not an auspicious beginning to his year, having to sit out the prospect tourney with yet another injury.

Deleted member 27798

Not an auspicious beginning to his year, having to sit out the prospect tourney with yet another injury.

No surprise. He had an injury plagued career at Harvard. I'm somewhat surprised the Sabres even offered him a contract because of it.

Here's hoping he somehow can turn it around and have a good professional career.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Malone Unlikely To Play This Weekend -

Sean Malone did not practice, and while Taylor did not entirely rule him out, he did say it was unlikely that we'd see him play in any of these three games. Taylor did not say if it was an injury that caused Malone's absence.
Malone appeared in one game for the Sabres at the tail end of last season after completing his collegiate career at Harvard with a 42-points campaign (18+24).

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/prospects-challenge-justin-bailey-alex-nylander/c-290916626

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Someone I have admittedly forgotten about. It's worth noting Carrier, who I compared him to above, got fairly forgotten when he first arrived in Rochester. Would love it if he pans out as much as I hoped, and won a spot in the Buffalo bottom 6 next year. Him and Baptise would provide a nice infusion of speed, grit, and some skill to our bottom six.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
We need a 4C next year. He looked that part in call ups before. Next season, can Botteril simply look within to fill that gap?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd say Botts should find a known NHL capable UFA/low cost trade option, and then be pleasantly surprised if Malone pushes somebody out of a spot. Repeat for every other 'open' position on the team.
Agreed. Just like Bailey, Baptise, Fasching, Smith, Nylander, etc. If they win a spot, great. If not, one won't be handed to them.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Agreed. Just like Bailey, Baptise, Fasching, Smith, Nylander, etc. If they win a spot, great. If not, one won't be handed to them.

We only really have room for one of those bonafide bottom-6 vets unless you plan on losing one of Baptiste/Bailey/Fasching/Smith to start the season, or re-sign the always injured Josefson

Could use a top-6 vet though.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd personally go in on a legitimate, well respected, useful 4C to really anchor the bottom 6. A defensive stalwart, etc. etc. Around him, I would sign more tweener types that I wouldn't feel horrible about losing on waivers to compete with the kids. I really just want a way to infuse our forwards with speed without giving up on ROR, Okposo, or Reinhart.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'd say Botts should find a known NHL capable UFA/low cost trade option, and then be pleasantly surprised if Malone pushes somebody out of a spot. Repeat for every other 'open' position on the team.

I know there was some sarcasm in this post, but eventually Buffalo needs some of these prospects like Bailey/Baptise/Fasching, namely, to start producing at the NHL level. Luckily, Buffalo has picked up additional prospects like Malone who can hopefully add some additional competition.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Solid article on Malone. As I said above, he's actually older than Baptiste and Bailey and should be ready to start pushing for a spot next season. How refreshing would it be to see him and Baptiste making up a third or our bottom six next year?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Solid article on Malone. As I said above, he's actually older than Baptiste and Bailey and should be ready to start pushing for a spot next season. How refreshing would it be to see him and Baptiste making up a third or our bottom six next year?

They could be far most cost controlled by simply rolling out the guys who will no longer be waiver exempt both up front and on the blueline instead of more Pouliot, Tennyson, and Nolan.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice bit from that series. Love to hear that he's learning body prep and maintenance -- might be why he's seemingly healthier this year.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Would be funny if Malone winds up being the best player from that draft class as a 6th rounder, after all the years we've been waiting for Bailey and/or Baptiste to come along.

(of course, I suspect the best player we selected that year will turn out to be either Cal Petersen or J.T. Compher).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->