Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
Dude. Really? The guy has perfectly fit as a 1C. If you want to see what it looks like to have a 3C as a 1C go check out what Boston looked like when they had to have Nash play as their top center for a game this year.

Yeah it's just that easy. Put Lethera between Giroux and he would obviously produce the same way smh.

Couturier plays with trash= he's not good offensively.

Plays with talent= he's being carried.

So many damn hot takes around this place.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To steal from Appleyard, Couts is 1st in ES points in the last 30+ games in the NHL. So that includes Schenn and Weise last year for over half of those games.

I have said before he produces as a #2C at ES, but the numbers certainly suggest he produces as a #1 at ES. Hopefully he keeps it rolling. I just want him to stay healthy so we can no longer hear sub 40 point Couts.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To steal from Appleyard, Couts is 1st in ES points in the last 30+ games in the NHL. So that includes Schenn and Weise last year for over half of those games.

I have said before he produces as a #2C at ES, but the numbers certainly suggest he produces as a #1 at ES. Hopefully he keeps it rolling. I just want him to stay healthy so we can no longer hear sub 40 point Couts.
Then we can move on to hearing "one good/lucky year Couts".

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I said this on the main thread about coots. He is playing lights out. THis combination of the 3 on the top line is working better than anyone could have ever imagined. I belive a large part is due to the fact that Giroux looks like he is 5 years younger. Also helping is the fact that he can cheat up ice and allow couts to handle the D. The problem is , that this experiement has not made us a better team, it has not led to more wins. WE are still sadly a 1 line team. If this team is going to reach its full potential, we are gong to have to spread the wealth to the other lines and Go from there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was averaging 39 ES points per 82 games, at age 23-24. Which are #2 C numbers.
So he enters his peak years with better linemates and gets a jump.
But it's not a jump from mediocre to good, it's rather a jump from very good to great.

I doubt they thought this experiment would last more than a couple games.
I think they were just taking a look at Giroux at LW for down the road when all the young centers start arriving, like in 2019-20. And after a couple games, they'd go back to last year's lines.
But something clicked, Patrick looked ready so they went with it.

Poor Weise, lost his spot with Couts, now he's lost.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I want to see no less than 4 PPs tonight to see how Couturier continues to look on PP1. It's been quite annoying that he's had all of 2 shifts up there so far due to lack of whistles.

Didn't subscribe to the idea he couldn't be a useful PP player in a support role, despite the damning scoring evidence. Or I at least wanted to see him given a real shot with talent on PP2. The PP2 was humming along and he looked alright, but PP1 is quite the leap. Don't know if it will work long-term.......but curious am I, mmmmhhhmmm.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Couturier makes all of him line mates better. It's been that way since forever.

The most intriguing part of his rookie season for me was when he was given a shot with better players off the 4th line and he immediately changed how he played. When he was with Rinaldo he dumped at the blue line to let his wingers bash it out along the boards, while he waited nearby if the puck popped out. Considering their limited skillset, that was probably the best thing to do.

The second he was with better players he stopped dumping the puck, focused on keeping possession and setting up his linemates. Even as a very young rookie he was tailoring his game to match the situation he was in. Now he has two playmakers on his wings, so he has gone to the net aggressively, keeping his stick down for passes to finish chances. He does less playmaking, because he doesn't need to. The line doesn't need it. They need someone finishing, so he finishes.

It's remarkable how immediate these shifts in playstyle are. And it's a true shame how little he has been appreciated in past years, and presumably now too by many.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think that's "high hockey IQ" at work.

Something that's harder to measure than speed or a hard shot, but it seems at least from scouting profiles the last couple years, a key factor in Hextall's draft board.

One reason I'm not overly concerned about Patrick's slow start, he seems to see the ice well for a young player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think that's "high hockey IQ" at work.

Something that's harder to measure than speed or a hard shot, but it seems at least from scouting profiles the last couple years, a key factor in Hextall's draft board.

One reason I'm not overly concerned about Patrick's slow start, he seems to see the ice well for a young player.

Oh hey we agree!

Patrick is beyond his years. He makes tons of smart little plays (the preseason play where he dumped the puck in, then aggressively pursued until the change was finished and we nearly maintained pressure out of it sticks in my mind). He already shows signs of being the kind of player who can control the pace of a game.

Watching him, Couturier, and Provy come along is really a treat.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I saw similar traits in Vorobyev and Lindblom as well, except they seemed out of sorts with the smaller spaces of the NA game. Which is why I'm curious how they've adjusted over the last month or so. There's a "calmness" that all these guys show with the puck, as if they're in no hurry.

I think there's a balance, you need some "wild hare" speed guys like Ghost and Voracek and Konency to drive play, but you also want a core of smart players who take care of business.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
The most intriguing part of his rookie season for me was when he was given a shot with better players off the 4th line and he immediately changed how he played. When he was with Rinaldo he dumped at the blue line to let his wingers bash it out along the boards, while he waited nearby if the puck popped out. Considering their limited skillset, that was probably the best thing to do.

The second he was with better players he stopped dumping the puck, focused on keeping possession and setting up his linemates. Even as a very young rookie he was tailoring his game to match the situation he was in. Now he has two playmakers on his wings, so he has gone to the net aggressively, keeping his stick down for passes to finish chances. He does less playmaking, because he doesn't need to. The line doesn't need it. They need someone finishing, so he finishes.

It's remarkable how immediate these shifts in playstyle are. And it's a true shame how little he has been appreciated in past years, and presumably now too by many.
I haven't seen much under appreciation of Coots. He has always been defended hard when other fanbases tried to propose trades for him with their trash. Prior coaches used him to shut down other star players because he could. Hak/Hex decided to try him with our two most skilled forwards and after 12 games he is on pace for 60 goals! I'm not sure who would have predicted that six months ago.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I haven't seen much under appreciation of Coots. He has always been defended hard when other fanbases tried to propose trades for him with their trash. Prior coaches used him to shut down other star players because he could. Hak/Hex decided to try him with our two most skilled forwards and after 12 games he is on pace for 60 goals! I'm not sure who would have predicted that six months ago.

I don't mean underappreciated around here; I mean by the larger Flyers fanbase in general. We are a tiny, tiny subset.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Coots must be a dbag for a teammate. First, Rinaldo boards him now Schenn blindsides him. Joking of ourse
Glad to see he came back to play.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad