Sean Avery: We Were Wrong, We're Sorry (Plaschke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
shakes said:
He's right.. it is the hardest thing to do in sports. QUOTE]

I know I am a little late with this.. but I agree and I am glad that you posted the listing. But the most important part you left out, and the one not applicable to a hockey one-timer, is that you take two round objects and you have to hit them square, all while at the speeds, reaction time, etc that you mentioned earlier. No other SINGLE action in sports is as affected by milliseconds and millimeters like hitting a ball...

that being said, I still think the overall game of hockey is better. ;)

edit: ico, great post!

And to the others that say overall hockey actions are harder, I agree. But not for a single act.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Steve L said:
Im glad someone mentioned this, its a lot harder than baseball because the ball bounces off the ground, its legal to aim for the head and the ball can deviate yards from its original line.

I remember working with a guy who was a darn good baseball player and actually played through college. We had an Indian co-worker who of course loved cricket. They got into what seemed to be a neverending argument over whether or not hitting a baseball was harder than a cricket ball. The baseball player of course claimed it was the baseball. He was absolutely 100 % positive. Well until we made him put his money where his mouth was. The Indian co-worker who played Cricket recreationally got his team bowler and brought the baseball player to the cricket pitch. We're still waiting for him to hit the ball......

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
zeke said:
I don't think Goodenow is a dumb man, and I can't understand what he was possibly thinking. He let his ego get in the way, and tried to blackmail the owners into accepting something that wouldn't work....something that would have been bad for his own players in tehlong run anyways.

Just silly.

Goodenow better offer his resignation ASAP.

His is probably the worst performance by any union leader in the history of labour negotiations.

The fact that he wanted the NHL to accept something that would hurt his players and the industry in the long run makes me think he was more interested in just getting the best CBA he could to make himself look like the best. Probably in the hopes that he can land a job with a bigger union that would pay him alot more money.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Mr.Hunter74 said:
The fact that he wanted the NHL to accept something that would hurt his players and the industry in the long run makes me think he was more interested in just getting the best CBA he could to make himself look like the best. Probably in the hopes that he can land a job with a bigger union that would pay him alot more money.

Fehr is probably having second thoughts now....

:biglaugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
shakes said:
What I'm talking about here is the individual act itself. Shooting on a goalie is, in itself, not all that difficult, hitting a thrown ball is. A pitcher does not want to give a batter a good pitch to hit if he doesn't have to, which is why I'm saying hitting is so difficult. It's very hard to explain if someone hasnt stood in a batter's box and faced a quality pitcher.

How about you take a look at the shooting percentage of a player on a penalty shot. Its defenitely not over 25 %.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
I know a lot of you think Avery is a punk and in the past I would agree with that assessment. He usually runs his mouth too often and says things that make him come off looking like an ass. His antics on and off the ice grow tiring sometimes. However, I think reading these comments, that if Avery is actually being sincere and he is truly sorry, that perhaps maybe he did some growing up during the lockout. Of course its wait and see if that's actually true but as a Kings fan I'm hoping he has matured some, he is truly sorry, and he's going to turn a corner and tone his antics down some.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Hasbro said:
I might be wrong, but Plaske comes off to me as a hockey contrarian. He manages an obligatory "No one cares shot" and he's under the impression that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. Now granted he probably isn't as bad as Skip Bayless.

The downside of peace being at hand is that we're going to have to put up with slagging "I told you sos"from columnists who couldn't be bothered to glance at the game.
hitting a baseball isn't the hardest thing in sports. Pitching a baseball with the accuracy and velocity major leaguers do is the hardest.

mooseOAK*

Scugs said:
Georges Laraque just called Avery an idiot and doesn't believe he said what he said.

-Was on TSN.
Georges Laracque, Manny Legace, Sean Avery, Jim McKenzie, etc.

These are the spokesmen for the players? What about the ones that people actuall want to watch play?

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Avery: "Bob brainwashed players like me."

Hmmm.. sounds like Sean is trying to spin his way out of this comment 5 months previous:

"I think, when you look at it, the lockout is about guys like me," Avery said. "If I'm 24 and willing to sit out for two years, that's an indication of where the union stands."

So we can just forget those words from February then. It wasn't Sean speaking, it was Bob Svengoodenough speaking through Sean!

Got it....

:shakehead

Avery: "Guys were out there giving interviews and we didn't know the real story. Bob embarrassed a lot of guys."

It's okay Sean, we know now that it wasn't you giving that interview. You were a mere puppet..... an innocent dupe.

Don't be embarrassed about those moronic comments.

Just be embarrassed that you are so easily controlled.

That ******* Bob had you willing to sit out 2 years!!

Now who is the SOB that made you, in the same interview, say.....

Avery: "I think they can eliminate a lot of Europeans who are mediocre and are taking a lot of jobs"

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=114580&hubName=nhl

Master Shake*

Scugs said:
Georges Laraque just called Avery an idiot and doesn't believe he said what he said.

-Was on TSN.

Who ? ;)
Must be some stiff NHLPA stooge.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The "hardest" sport may be based on a person-to-person basis, and it certainly has to do with the existing skill set already in place. If one's never been on skates before, I'd reckon shooting a puck would be harder than hitting a baseball. But if you've never held a bat in your hands but grew up skating, a properly executed slap shot might be easier than hitting a baseball.

It's a really hard comparision, because it's difficult to find someone who is a true "novice" to baseball in North America and increasingly the world, while it's much easier to find someone who's never been on skates.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Takeo said:
It's about damn time the fans get a formal apology! We're the victims. NOBODY else. :madfire:

perhaps also many of the people who were layed off due to the lockout? And I don't mean players.

Hockeycrazy3033

Feb 15, 2005
Hockeytown, Michigan
I love Aves. Yeah he's a pain in the ass..but his style of play and his non stop agitating/getting under opposing players' skin is just awesome. Wish he was still a Wing. :(

anyways...I think he meant everything he said..especially the apologies. yeah he may seem like an ******* or whatever..but i've met the guy and had talks with him 3 times, and he's very down to earth, polite, and sweet. (nothing like his on ice persona)

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
ToeBlake said:
Avery: "Bob brainwashed players like me."

Hmmm.. sounds like Sean is trying to spin his way out of this comment 5 months previous:

"I think, when you look at it, the lockout is about guys like me," Avery said. "If I'm 24 and willing to sit out for two years, that's an indication of where the union stands."

So we can just forget those words from February then. It wasn't Sean speaking, it was Bob Svengoodenough speaking through Sean!

Got it....

:shakehead

Avery: "Guys were out there giving interviews and we didn't know the real story. Bob embarrassed a lot of guys."

It's okay Sean, we know now that it wasn't you giving that interview. You were a mere puppet..... an innocent dupe.

Don't be embarrassed about those moronic comments.

Just be embarrassed that you are so easily controlled.

That ******* Bob had you willing to sit out 2 years!!
So if a dudes wifes cheats on him and he calls her every insult he can think of, would you go back to the wedding video and show some quotes where he was professing his undying love?

Theres such a thing as having blind faith and trust in something, then getting ****ed over. Wouldnt you be pissed?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Cawz said:
So if a dudes wifes cheats on him and he calls her every insult he can think of, would you go back to the wedding video and show some quotes where he was professing his undying love?

Theres such a thing as having blind faith and trust in something, then getting ****ed over. Wouldnt you be pissed?

:clap:

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Cawz said:

No, if Sean & Bob had been joined in holy matrimony, I woulda let that one go.

Honest!

Cawz said:

If I put "blind faith" in Bob Goodenough, I'd deserve whatever I got.

Especially if I had gone around promoting his position.

So you honestly believe that Avery was willing to sit out for 2 years??

Wake up sunshine, he wasn't brainwashed, he was playing the same bluffing game as his life-partner Bob.

They were in it together, for better or worse......

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
not sure if its been said but Glen Healey on TSN said today this offer now is better than the one offered feburary, am I missing something here? thats completely crazy their going to get way less than 42 mil or whatever the hell the cap was offered before that doesnt make sense, and Avery should be pissed

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
Rugby is much more violent than american football because of the lack of padding.

Show me one rugby player that is jacked like Ray Lewis, runs a 4.5 40 and hits like a truck and then I will start to consider this as being close to an argument.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Bruwinz37 said:
Show me one rugby player that is jacked like Ray Lewis, runs a 4.5 40 and hits like a truck and then I will start to consider this as being close to an argument.
Lewis ran a 4 5? ;)

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Boozers said:
not sure if its been said but Glen Healey on TSN said today this offer now is better than the one offered feburary, am I missing something here? thats completely crazy their going to get way less than 42 mil or whatever the hell the cap was offered before that doesnt make sense, and Avery should be pissed

His reasoning for why this deal is better than the February deal is linkage! :biglaugh: I thought linkage was even worse than the concept of a cap! Didn't Heals and the PA repeatedly tell us back then that an unlinked cap was better than a linked cap? :dunno:

SENSible1*

Boozers said:

Consider the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->