Sean Avery: We Were Wrong, We're Sorry (Plaschke)

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by King'sPawn, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King'sPawn

King'sPawn Enjoy the chaos

2. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    More "told ya so's" coming out

3. sveiglar

sveiglar Registered User

Harsh words for BG. The question is how many more you hear (and from who) once an announcement is made.

4. chiavsfan

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    Some more interesting things from the article...you have heard players talk about "union leadership..." you have never heard much of BG mentioned by name

5. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

I just found some new respect for Avery. I don't like his style on the ice but having the balls to admit that PA was wrong and apologizing to fans for wasting the season takes guts.

6. GSC2k2*

GSC2k2* Guest

I find it peculiar to say the least that HE called up the paper. That smells very very weird to me.

7. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

I hate to say it.. But..

Did we not all see this happening? I get refreshed reading something like this.

But I also commend Avery for being a man and comming out to say this publicly.

Goodenow is definately gone before next season starts. I would hope a guy like Mike Gartner takes his place, while a guy like Colin Campbell takes Bettmans place to get two new guys in there who don't feel like they have to wage war every time they meet.

8. Something tells me he was taken out of context. :sarcasm:

9. sveiglar

sveiglar Registered User

Actually he was misquoted. He really said "Bob Goodenow r0xx0rz!!!!!1!"

10. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    I might be wrong, but Plaske comes off to me as a hockey contrarian. He manages an obligatory "No one cares shot" and he's under the impression that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. Now granted he probably isn't as bad as Skip Bayless.

The downside of peace being at hand is that we're going to have to put up with slagging "I told you sos"from columnists who couldn't be bothered to glance at the game.

11. ScottyBowman

ScottyBowman Registered User

Home Page:
    Avery is an attention ****e. I would not take anything this punk says seriously. His circus antics on the ice speak for themselves.

12. chiavsfan

Radio News Director
    Home Page:

If you say so....

13. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

I wouldn't call a man who publicly admits he's sorry and wrong an "attention ****e".

I don't care who you are - nobody likes to admit when they're wrong. Just take a glance at these boards for everyday examples of this.

14. barnburner

barnburner Registered User

Maybe so - but we are going to see a lot more of these statements in the next
    couple of weeks from other players.

15. Hmm, I wonder if you would have said that if Avery was still a Red Wing.....

16. shakes

shakes Pep City

Home Page:
    He's right.. it is the hardest thing to do in sports. A really good hitter hits safely 30% or the time. A great hitter, one who hits safely 40% of the time, last happened in 1941.

17. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    Yeah, how about a one timer? Same basic action with the added difuculty of skating, getting past the goalie and a D-man ready to knock you senseless. :dunno:

18. saskhab

saskhab Registered User

Home Page:
    Because you see those types of shooting percentage numbers in the NHL all the time.... Hockey shooting percentages are usually under 20%, and top out in the 20-25% range maximum.

19. Dr Love

Dr Love Registered User

Gunslinger
    Ah, Bill Plaschke.

Inable to make multi-sentence paragraphs.

Let alone objectively discuss a player.

At least TJ Simers is funny from time to time.

Why Avery went to Plaschke with this boggles the mind.

20. habfan4

habfan4 Registered User

Systems Analyst
    Home Page:
    So I take you don't accept his apology, Sean's going to be crushed. :shakehead

21. Jester

Jester Registered User

this is what has confused me about the lockout -- from the NHLPA's point of view -- from the start. how did they not understand the financial situation? how did they not understand the "war chest" philosophy? it was so *bleeping* obvious from the start that the owners could simply sit on their cash holdings and get what they wanted if they had the resolve... and given that they'd been talking about THIS lockout for five-years or whatever, you had to guess the resolve was there.

his comment that players were in the dark and ignorant of the situation is obvious, but one would think there are more than a few players that could reach this common sense read on the situation and convince their brethren. heck, they could of gone out as a group and publicly voiced their view of the situation... who would have argued with them? only the players...

so frustrating.

22. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

I agree...but it's more than just Avery being a dumbass that annoys me about stuff like this. Sure, the players have every right to be mad at Goodenow and I don't begrudge them that...but it was by their own goddamn decision that they were misled and kept in the dark. The vast majority of players decided not to take an active interest in something that greatly affected their future livelyhood, and now they're crying about it? Give me a break. They remained ignorant to the true situation by choice, and all Goodenow did was tell them what they wanted to hear, and honestly, did what they wanted him to do. I see all these players crying now and saying "oh we wasted a year, I'm so mad at Goodenow, if we were going to give in to a cap we just should have done it at the beginning so we didn't miss a year". alright, so honestly what do you think would have happened if Goodenow came to the players last September and said "alright we have a deal if you guys will accept a cap and basically give in to all the NHLs demands". Do you really think the players all would have jumped on board and said "great! let's play hockey!" hell no, they would have balked at the idea and the lockout would have continued. It's crap for them to say after the fact, "we might as well have done this from the beginning" because it never would have flown that early in the lockout. I'm pretty damn sure all these players complaining now would have voted against this CBA if it was presented to them back in September.

Goodenow may have screwed up but ultimatley he did so because the players let him and honestly, the players wanted him to start down the road he did...now they say it was a mistake but at the time you can be damn sure they had no intention of playing under a cap

23. shakes

shakes Pep City

Home Page:
    Oh please.. thats because all shots are quality shots on net.. right?

I think same basic action is all you have there.... aside from swining a stick at an object, that's where the similarities end. That pass isn't coming at 95 miles an hour and the person who is passing it to you isn't trying to make you miss, by changing speeds and location, with the added difficulty of wondering if that pitcher is going to "miss" inside.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying hockey is easy by any stretch of the imagination, but saying that hitting a baseball is not one of, if not THE hardest things to do in sports is just crazy.

24. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Guest

Plaschke doesn't know crap about hockey, he just likes to try to get under people's skin thinking they will read his column. The LA Times has two excellent hockey writers, Foster and Elliot. Unfortunately the times is trying a talk radio style of journalism and fortunately it isn't working.

25. Takeo

Takeo Registered User

Home Page:
    It's about damn time the fans get a formal apology! We're the victims. NOBODY else. :madfire:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.