NFL: Seahawks hire Mike MacDonald as head coach

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, one team who waited able to stick to their plan.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Once Ben Johnson was going back to Detroit, Seattle had to get Macdonald.

Yeah, not an expert but in my mind they were the two best choices. Saw a tweet somewhere that Ben Johnson really only wanted the Chargers job anyway, very specific for a first time HC. There won't be 7-8 teams with a HC vacancy next year I'd guess either.

Younger, offensive coaches are all the rage right now but despite some talented guys our D is a mess.
So I'm f***ing pumped with this hire.

Literally half Pete's age, too! Love that Schneider wanted to roll the dice on a serious up-an-comer.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, not an expert but in my mind they were the two best choices. Saw a tweet somewhere that Ben Johnson really only wanted the Chargers job anyway, very specific for a first time HC. There won't be 7-8 teams with a HC vacancy next year I'd guess either.

Younger, offensive coaches are all the rage right now but despite some talented guys our D is a mess.
So I'm f***ing pumped with this hire.

Literally half Pete's age, too! Love that Schneider wanted to roll the dice on a serious up-an-comer.

Seattle needs to grab a good offensive coordinator.
Also, Washington is sorta in a rut now. Johnson and Macdonald were high on their list, now looks like the rumours of Dan Quinn going there might be the outcome.

Reactions: sigma six

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also, Washington is sorta in a rut now. Johnson and Macdonald were high on their list, now looks like the rumours of Dan Quinn going there might be the outcome.
Key for Wash is the OC of not an offensive HC. But like Quinn before in Atl if that OC does well going to leave for a HC job like Ryan’s will feel if Slwovik continues to work well with stroud.

Despite the 2OA pick and some rock solid pieces and some extra early draft capital they are the last team without a HC.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

They must be pretty high on Kafka since they interviewed him twice. Wonder if they'll try to lure him over at the same position.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seems like good hire given strength of team at this point is young talent they have on D

Do Seahawks consider a QB in round 1/2 to pair with new coach

Geno will be 34 so a longterm guy should be viewed as something that is needed either this draft or next

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
So ONE (1) season as a DC in college and TWO (2) seasons as a DC in the pros.

And now he’s a head coach in the NFL?

Good luck with this one, Seattle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems like good hire given strength of team at this point is young talent they have on D

Do Seahawks consider a QB in round 1/2 to pair with new coach

Geno will be 34 so a longterm guy should be viewed as something that is needed either this draft or next
Doesn't need to be this year. Honestly, to me, past the top 3, no one else is a sure thing to be as good as what Geno was in 2022. Nix, best case he's that good. His main benefit is that he can hit his ceiling faster (ala Mac Jones) and be a cheap option for his rookie deal and 5th year option or franchise tag. Penix Jr. can throw the ball the best of the crop, but you take him knowing that you don't bet on a 12 year career from him with the 2 ACL injuries. Maybe he gives you 7-9 years before his play drops because of injuries and begin a sitting duck back in the pocket.

For a first year HC, I'd want to draft guys who can play right away. SEA has their 1st plus NO's 3rd and their own 3rd. Focus on using those 3 picks to get guys who can play.

SEA, I can see them wanting to trade down if they don't have someone they love at 16. That spot seems ripe with CB, OT, WR, which they are not desperate to get. Their main needs are DL, LB, IOL, TE. So, based on need can afford to drop back and add another pick or two.

Offence does need work as well. Ranked last in TOP. So, need to improve on that to keep the D fresh.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Gotta make most of your opportunities, some hot OC/DC candidates miss their chance and they are not mentioned in the coaching realms again.

ex. Ray Horton, Kris Richard, Kellen Moore. We will see how Ben Johnson does in 2024 but if he bombs then his HC services won't be needed.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Andy Reid was never a coordinator at major college or the NFL level before becoming a HC

Don Shula was a coordinator for 2 yrs before becoming a HC

Mike Tomlin had one year as a DC

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Andy Reid was never a coordinator at major college or the NFL level before becoming a HC

Don Shula was a coordinator for 2 yrs before becoming a HC

Mike Tomlin had one year as a DC

John Madden was linebackers coach for 2 years then became head coach.
These opportunities are hard to come by.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Between contracts, performance, cap causalities, and injuries, never know year to year if you can continue your success.

I like the hire for Seattle. Quinn is a good candidate, but too close to what Carroll does. Would have loved for him to have returned to Seattle to take over the DC and move off Norton Jr when they had the chance before he went to Dallas.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Gotta make most of your opportunities, some hot OC/DC candidates miss their chance and they are not mentioned in the coaching realms again.

ex. Ray Horton, Kris Richard, Kellen Moore. We will see how Ben Johnson does in 2024 but if he bombs then his HC services won't be needed.

I certainly don’t fault McDonald - - it’s an absolute no brainer to accept a HC job regardless of how woefully inexperienced you are.

Definitely WTF Seattle is thinking though.

Replacing a long tenured coach is always difficult. But when it’s someone as charismatic and beloved as Carroll being replaced by a guy with essentially ZERO experience, it’s not likely to end well.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I certainly don’t fault McDonald - - it’s an absolute no brainer to accept a HC job regardless of how woefully inexperienced you are.

Definitely WTF Seattle is thinking though.

Replacing a long tenured coach is always difficult. But when it’s someone as charismatic and beloved as Carroll being replaced by a guy with essentially ZERO experience, it’s not likely to end well.

No one was going to fill in Pete Carroll’s shoes, gotta start fresh with a new regime. If Seattle hired Dan Quinn, then it’s back to the Pete Carroll past which management does not want.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This is similar to the situation in New England.

At least Mayo has experience playing at the pro level but I have some huge concerns about his maturity level.

Bringing a baseball bat and practicing his swing during team meetings is someone trying way too hard to be Daddy Joe Cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad