Sea of Thieves

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm actually really enjoying it myself so far, although I can see why people wouldn't want to pay full price for it. It's a ton of fun but there isn't a lot of "content" so to speak.

Fortunately, you can use Game Pass.....unless you plan on playing for more than 6 months I suppose....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
*some* reviews are saying that. And what they don't realize is in a world of Rocket League, Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege... etc. Where games are driven by experience even with the small amount of actual story there is absolutely a place for SoT in the gaming world. Lets break these down:

Rocket League: It's literally the exact same game every time you play a match, but they do have different modes. Everything you play for is purely cosmetic.
Overwatch: Again - literally every game is exactly the same thing over and over just on a different map. Also again - everything you play for is purely cosmetic.
Rainbow Six: Siege: Its basically a more realistic Overwatch but came out first so I should say Overwatch is a more cartoon R6:S. However with how Ubi worked their magic you actually play (or pay) to unlock new characters. But you are at no disadvantage by having less characters unlocked. After that - its all cosmetic.
Sea of Thieves: So here we are, another online game where your goal is to amass coin and buy things in-game that are purely cosmetic. But its at least original enough to where you are not just straight up Vs. other people. It has a slight MMO feel to it as you see other pirates sailing around collecting skulls, chests and chickens to sell them for coin. Do you dare go interact with them? Will they be friendly? Or just avoid them. The gameplay is really unique.

What all these games have in common though is that there isn't much to the gameplay. All of them are simple but they are all driven by community and in-game (sometimes real) currency to upgrade your looks. I remember when R6:S first came out the reviewers hated it. Its ratings are in the low 70's on Metacritic however the game is still relevant and has been gaining in popularity for years. Its going strong and is in the beginning of its year 3 season.

I personally think for games like this reviewers rush to get their reviews in. Yeah, if you start playing SoT and hate it, your opinion probably wont change. If you are intrigued by it I think you need to spend time with it. Not just a couple days so you can get your review to the masses. Right now it does seem a little thin in content. But that's another thing all these games have in common when they first came out. Heck in RL there was a time you could change the paint, hat, wheels and antenna now you have all kind of things you can customize like wheel-tail, engine sound, goal explosion, gamertag plate.

I don't think SoT was made as a game to be what it is on launch day and for that, its going to mess up the reviews. It's a game where if someone is interested, they NEED to play it and not rely on someone else's word. The type of friends you have, if you will play solo, how much time you are willing to invest in it or if you think you will enjoy it now and come back later to see how its progressed will all be factors. But I definitely put it in this new category of games that are just fun to play with cosmetic content being the big driver of the gameplay.

So that's my review :) And I am loving the game. I have so many funny / fun stories from just playing for a few days.

Though I've never played SoT, I think your review of the other games is wrong.

In those games you're not playing for cosmetic items, you're playing to compete against other players first and cosmetic items is a bonus for playing more. I couldn't care less about the cosmetic items in Overwatch, I'd still play without it, because the basis of that game is direct competition. You're playing against other humans in an enclosed, limited, environment where each team has access to the same resources and abilities. It's up to your team to perform better than the opposition. So, while you say that each game is "the same thing over and over" that's true only of the rules and not the strategy itself. Every time you encounter a new player or team, your strategy needs to adapt. That's what makes those games appealing.

It appears as though Sea of Thieves is completely different in why a person would play, because the game doesn't seem designed around a competition between people, but rather an exploratory driven story line. The introduction of NPC's really impacts the re-play ability in a lot of similar games because they are predictable and therefore more boring/repetitive. It makes for less variation in game play when compared to the other games you listed, at least when it comes to strategy.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I personally don't think those games are even remotely comparable.

FPSs and sports games always have relatively little content. Games are different every time though and there's a clear win/loss system that caters to people's competitiveness. I would assume all those games have a ranked ladder of some sort too.

SoT has three voyages that are always identical with a slight change in scenery.

I didn't really feel too much gratification from sailing to an island, picking up a couple of chickens and sailing back to the outpost to hand them in. Especially when you know you'll need to do that about 100 times to buy a hat that you can't see and that only looks a little different from the others.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Though I've never played SoT, your review of the other games is wrong.

In those games you're not playing for cosmetic items, you're playing to compete against other players first and cosmetic items is a bonus for playing more. I couldn't care less about the cosmetic items in Overwatch, I'd still play without it, because the basis of that game is direct competition. You're playing against other humans in an enclosed, limited, environment where each team has access to the same resources and abilities. It's up to your team to perform better than the opposition. So, while you say that each game is "the same thing over and over" that's true only of the rules and not the strategy itself. Every time you encounter a new player or team, your strategy needs to adapt. That's what makes those games appealing.

It appears as though Sea of Thieves is completely different in why a person would play, because the game doesn't seem designed around a competition between people, but rather an exploratory driven story line. The introduction of NPC's really impacts the re-play ability in a lot of similar games because they are predictable and therefore more boring/repetitive. It makes for less variation in game play when compared to the other games you listed, at least when it comes to strategy.
I think you took what I said the wrong way or misunderstood. The only rewards in game for those games is cosmetic stuff. They are games that were built to be played with others first and foremost. Everything you are saying about Overwatch and how its different each time because of the strategy and encounters is exactly what makes SoT different every time you play. Yes, it's not designed around competition. Its designed around completing missions with friends or alone and there are AI dangers and other people playing who can try to kill you and steal your stuff or befriend you and help you out. Hence why I said its such a unique game in that way.

It is in no way any less variable in gameplay at all. In fact I would say the gameplay is deeper. You don't just need to know where to run, when to use your special ability and when to shoot. You need to know how to battle, how to survive, how to run, how to sail your ship, how to fix it, when to avoid conflict, when to engage in it... then theres always the question of how risky do you want to be? Your next voyage takes you to an island that's really close but you already have 5 chests of gold on your ship and you see a storm coming. Do you risk the storm, getting lost / running into a rock and sinking? Or sail back to an outpost where you are more likely to see other pirates along the way that want your gold? That's just one of MANY kinds of situations you can get into. Everything changes if you play with a friend or if you are solo too. I think the intensity going from 1,000 to 0 then back to 1,000 again turns people off. There are times the game is dull but they all build up to the times you will go cash in your loot and what dangers you could run into.

Yes in OW, RL and R6:S what makes the games fun is they are different each time because of the different modes and strategies. SoT isn't just different every time, you will actually be doing something different every time. Like others are saying, it is low in content though. However I think its greater in gameplay. But I understand its not for everyone. I am also glad you said "It appears as though Sea of Thieves..." which means you haven't played it. I would give it a shot. Just lends more credence to what I was saying about how its something you need to play for yourself and not listen to others.

R6:Siege wouldn't sell more copies of their game every year if people just looked at reviews of it. That game is more popular than ever and when it first came out there were a lot of the same complaints SoT is getting. Who knows, SoT might die off quickly but I really think the community and people I personally have interacted with are having a blast with it. Again, I have quite a few fun and funny stories just from playing for a few days.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you're way overstating the PvP component of SoT unless I've just been really unlucky.

Me and my friends have played for about 8 hours and spent about half our time trying to track down ships to have naval battles and we've yet to have a single ship even fire back at us.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Getting pretty trashed in the reviews. Basically it's fun for 3 hours then it's the same exact thing over and over again with no progression.

Definitely going to "steer" clear of this one.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I personally don't think those games are even remotely comparable.

FPSs and sports games always have relatively little content. Games are different every time though and there's a clear win/loss system that caters to people's competitiveness. I would assume all those games have a ranked ladder of some sort too.

SoT has three voyages that are always identical with a slight change in scenery.

I didn't really feel too much gratification from sailing to an island, picking up a couple of chickens and sailing back to the outpost to hand them in. Especially when you know you'll need to do that about 100 times to buy a hat that you can't see and that only looks a little different from the others.
Again, im not saying they are the same style or even the same genre of game. They obviously are not. What I am saying is they are thin games without much content. What the others do is rely on competitiveness to keep the games alive. What SoT does is just much more unique and I fully admit it's not for everyone. But it's the same in regard to its entire life will be based on it's community.

To say SoT has 3 different types of voyages and they are identical with a slight change in scenery is just very obtuse. Come on dude. Theres other ships, tons of different environmental hazards, different routes you will have to take to avoid dangers... etc. Every one is different and has to be strategized differently, literally haha. I have never had one voyage play out exactly like another. If you don't like the game great, but don't watch a youtube of one voyage where nothing went wrong or something and act like that's the entire game.

That would be like me saying Overwatch a couple game modes that are identical where you just shoot each other on a different map.

Sounds silly doesn't it? Just to be clear, I am not trashing any of these games. Maybe it was a bad idea to compare them to those games but I was just trying to make a point that these games are all community driven and SoT is very unique, not driven soley by competition but has similar reward for playing it, rewards being cosmetic.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think you're way overstating the PvP component of SoT unless I've just been really unlucky.

Me and my friends have played for about 8 hours and spent about half our time trying to track down ships to have naval battles and we've yet to have a single ship even fire back at us.
8hrs and never had a ship shoot at you? Haha okay. Did you just anchor in the middle of the ocean and not go anywhere? :laugh:

Like I said, you are obviously entitled to your opinion if you don't like the game but you really should stop being so obtuse about it. I see ships all the time and have died at least 10 times and killed probably close to the same. I have lost a boat with 3 chests due to a storm. I have sank at least 5 other ships. I have made about 4 friends. Some guy sneaked onto my ship and stole one of my chickens, as he was selling it I sank his boat, sailed away and went to go replace my chicken for that voyage. It was epic. So much has happened. Maybe you just aren't playing it right?

I would guess I have played around 8-10hrs.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

I don't know, I've played for about 3 hours and have had two pretty intense battles. One lasted almost an hour of the 3 I've played. You might be unlucky. :laugh:

There's definitely a PvP component, although it's not the main focus like Rocket League or Overwatch.

It is probably the most fun part, though.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Again, im not saying they are the same style or even the same genre of game. They obviously are not. What I am saying is they are thin games without much content. What the others do is rely on competitiveness to keep the games alive. What SoT does is just much more unique and I fully admit it's not for everyone. But it's the same in regard to its entire life will be based on it's community.

To say SoT has 3 different types of voyages and they are identical with a slight change in scenery is just very obtuse. Come on dude. Theres other ships, tons of different environmental hazards, different routes you will have to take to avoid dangers... etc. Every one is different and has to be strategized differently, literally haha. I have never had one voyage play out exactly like another. If you don't like the game great, but don't watch a youtube of one voyage where nothing went wrong or something and act like that's the entire game.

That would be like me saying Overwatch a couple game modes that are identical where you just shoot each other on a different map.

Sounds silly doesn't it? Just to be clear, I am not trashing any of these games. Maybe it was a bad idea to compare them to those games but I was just trying to make a point that these games are all community driven and SoT is very unique, not driven soley by competition but has similar reward for playing it, rewards being cosmetic.

In my experience, that's been the game. Every voyage has been exactly the same beyond the small change in objective once you get onto an island.

There's no PvE component that changes them. There's really no strategical thinking that goes into having to go around a storm or having to soothe/shoot a couple snakes.

And like I said, we spent hours looking for PvP and couldn't find it, so it's basically non-existent when you're trying to avoid it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think you took what I said the wrong way or misunderstood. The only rewards in game for those games is cosmetic stuff. They are games that were built to be played with others first and foremost. Everything you are saying about Overwatch and how its different each time because of the strategy and encounters is exactly what makes SoT different every time you play. Yes, it's not designed around competition. Its designed around completing missions with friends or alone and there are AI dangers and other people playing who can try to kill you and steal your stuff or befriend you and help you out. Hence why I said its such a unique game in that way.

It is in no way any less variable in gameplay at all. In fact I would say the gameplay is deeper. You don't just need to know where to run, when to use your special ability and when to shoot. You need to know how to battle, how to survive, how to run, how to sail your ship, how to fix it, when to avoid conflict, when to engage in it... then theres always the question of how risky do you want to be? Your next voyage takes you to an island that's really close but you already have 5 chests of gold on your ship and you see a storm coming. Do you risk the storm, getting lost / running into a rock and sinking? Or sail back to an outpost where you are more likely to see other pirates along the way that want your gold? That's just one of MANY kinds of situations you can get into. Everything changes if you play with a friend or if you are solo too. I think the intensity going from 1,000 to 0 then back to 1,000 again turns people off. There are times the game is dull but they all build up to the times you will go cash in your loot and what dangers you could run into.

Yes in OW, RL and R6:S what makes the games fun is they are different each time because of the different modes and strategies. SoT isn't just different every time, you will actually be doing something different every time. Like others are saying, it is low in content though. However I think its greater in gameplay. But I understand its not for everyone. I am also glad you said "It appears as though Sea of Thieves..." which means you haven't played it. I would give it a shot. Just lends more credence to what I was saying about how its something you need to play for yourself and not listen to others.

R6:Siege wouldn't sell more copies of their game every year if people just looked at reviews of it. That game is more popular than ever and when it first came out there were a lot of the same complaints SoT is getting. Who knows, SoT might die off quickly but I really think the community and people I personally have interacted with are having a blast with it. Again, I have quite a few fun and funny stories just from playing for a few days.

My issue is with your depiction of those games. The objective of the games are different and that's what makes comparing them strange, because your initial premise was that everything you play for is cosmetic, which just isn't true. I think you're over-emphasizing the cosmetic things in those games, because that's not why people play (or at least I don't). I play to get ranked higher and to be better than other people in direct competition. It's the same reason I played StarCraft for nearly 20 years which offered no cosmetic changes until SC2+.

I admitted I didn't play Sea of Thieves in my very first sentence, so I'm definitely not trying to say how good of a game it is. My thoughts are based on previous games that followed a similar style of play from what I understand of the game so far, like The Division, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, etc. They might not be the best comparables but they're games that allow for exploration, completion of various tasks, but ultimately get repetitive to some people because of the openness and/or the NPC's. It's completely fine if you like that sort of game and I'm happy you're enjoying it, there's definitely strategy involved in those games too, just of a different variety. I'll probably pick it up at some point, but certainly not when it's $60.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I already used my game pass a while back :/

Is it the full game? Is the game developper looking to add DLCs? (Paid or not?) Etc?

Just to directly respond to this, I think re-upping your game pass for a month and playing is the best course of action. That way, if you do get bored of exploring you didn't spend $60 (or $80 if you're Canadian like me) on it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
In my experience, that's been the game. Every voyage has been exactly the same beyond the small change in objective once you get onto an island.

There's no PvE component that changes them. There's really no strategical thinking that goes into having to go around a storm or having to soothe/shoot a couple snakes.

And like I said, we spent hours looking for PvP and couldn't find it, so it's basically non-existent when you're trying to avoid it.
To each their own. I will just call you unlucky then and would like your tips on easily sailing around a storm without having to waste a bunch of time or worry about the other dangers of the world, whats your advice here? Like running by a snake with your arms wrapped around a chest and 3 skeletons chasing you and some A-hole out in the ocean shooting at or looting your ship. That exact situation happened to me. It was thrilling that I lived through it with the chest and wasn't easy.

My issue is with your depiction of those games. The objective of the games are different and that's what makes comparing them strange, because your initial premise was that everything you play for is cosmetic, which just isn't true. I think you're over-emphasizing the cosmetic things in those games, because that's not why people play (or at least I don't). I play to get ranked higher and to be better than other people in direct competition. It's the same reason I played StarCraft for nearly 20 years which offered no cosmetic changes until SC2+.

I admitted I didn't play Sea of Thieves in my very first sentence, so I'm definitely not trying to say how good of a game it is. My thoughts are based on previous games that followed a similar style of play from what I understand of the game so far, like The Division, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, etc. They might not be the best comparables but they're games that allow for exploration, completion of various tasks, but ultimately get repetitive to some people because of the openness and/or the NPC's. It's completely fine if you like that sort of game and I'm happy you're enjoying it, there's definitely strategy involved in those games too, just of a different variety. I'll probably pick it up at some point, but certainly not when it's $60.

I admit wasn't good at explaining what my point was and I probably went too far into detail without enough context. I was not trying to directly compare these games. My big point was that they are all community driven games with small content (that got much larger as time went on for all of them because on release, these games had SO much less content than they do now) and right now SoT has a huge community. How long it will last? Who knows.

The gameplay is definitely unique and not for everyone. I am not trying to tell people they are wrong for not liking it. I think its a game that needs more time and community input to drive it to be even better and hopefully that community is strong enough that it will. I play with R6:S people that say they forgot they owned the game and didn't realize how huge it got and how relevant it still was because when it first came out it was a pretty darn thin game.

I can see $60 being too much for some people for a game like this as it stands right now too.

I think we can agree that they are just different games and I wasn't clear in what point I was trying to make at first?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I admit wasn't good at explaining what my point was and I probably went too far into detail without enough context. I was not trying to directly compare these games. My big point was that they are all community driven games with small content (that got much larger as time went on for all of them because on release, these games had SO much less content than they do now) and right now SoT has a huge community. How long it will last? Who knows.

The gameplay is definitely unique and not for everyone. I am not trying to tell people they are wrong for not liking it. I think its a game that needs more time and community input to drive it to be even better and hopefully that community is strong enough that it will. I play with R6:S people that say they forgot they owned the game and didn't realize how huge it got and how relevant it still was because when it first came out it was a pretty darn thin game.

I can see $60 being too much for some people for a game like this as it stands right now too.

I think we can agree that they are just different games and I wasn't clear in what point I was trying to make at first?

Of course, I wasn't trying to be a combative about it, just trying to explain why I didn't like the comparison.

Where do you see it expanding to?

A question I did have was how servers work. Do you have to play on the same one each time or does your character carry with you no matter where you go?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just to directly respond to this, I think re-upping your game pass for a month and playing is the best course of action. That way, if you do get bored of exploring you didn't spend $60 (or $80 if you're Canadian like me) on it.
This seems like good advice. I just have a feeling this is a game that will get better with time mostly.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Of course, I wasn't trying to be a combative about it, just trying to explain why I didn't like the comparison.

Where do you see it expanding to?

A question I did have was how servers work. Do you have to play on the same one each time or does your character carry with you no matter where you go?
I can already say it would be great to have different areas and not have everything be tropical. Maybe have some snowy regions or real swampy or something. I think just making some cheap clothing to buy too would be good. I barely have enough to buy a hat (my first ever pirate hat!) and I've played for 8-10 hours. So that kind of sucks haha. But it makes the work feel more rewarding somehow? I guess. I don't know - right now I am just enjoying the ride.

Your character's looks stays the same no matter where you go so whatever you look like when you log out after you change things is what you look like when you come back. Its like an MMO in that regard. But everytime you login your stuff resets. Like your ship is whole, you have 15 bananas (health), 30 cannon balls and I think 20 wooden planks (to repair holes) in the stock barrels on your ship. If you die in the game but your ship is still floating you go to a "ghost ship" and have to hang out there for a minute then when the door opens you go through it and are back on your ship. So anyone who killed you only has a little bit of time to raid your ship before you are back and get to fight for it again. If your ship is sunk when you come back you spawn on an island far away. The world is instanced and I would guess there are up to 10 pirates (in a party or not) per instance. Maybe less if you are solo. So maybe 10 pirates total but only 4 or so other ships? That may be a low count but I have never lived long enough / had enough time to sail the entire map in one play.

One good thing I think is there are different types of guns, sniper, handgun and blunderbuss (shotgun basically). They are all the same and only cosmetics change what they look like. Same with swords. So nobody ever has an advantage should you PvP.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
This seems like good advice. I just have a feeling this is a game that will get better with time mostly.

I agree it should improve with time, which means (in theory) that you can get game pass again down the road. ;)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I have game pass so I down loaded it last night and plan on trying it out tonight, anything I need to know beforehand?
Have fun! Don't get discouraged and plan on voyages taking anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more depending on what you run into (storms, mean people... etc.) Also once you get on board your ship go to the hold and check out where planks and bananas are kept. Know that by your canons is the stash of canon balls.

And if you are like me and thought you had to run down to the cabin to see your map while you are sailing, fear not! You can just look over the ledge from the deck to see your map instead of running downstairs all the time. Cody257 here taught me that one lol.

Talk to people in town. Tavern, shops and voyage givers. Those are really the 3 main types. Easy to figure out what they do. Also you have to go to your ship and put a voyage on a table to start it.

Cant think of anything else. Just be cautious and enjoy! Oh, and you will sink your ship and you will die. It wont happen a lot but it will happen.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
My advice is remember everyone else in the game is a bit of a dick. Especially if you've found treasure. :laugh:

I mean, we are all playing pirates after all.

Reactions: Lancer

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
The one thing I'll say I've disliked the most so far is how the mermaid system kind of takes a lot of the challenge out of it. Having a man overboard doesn't even matter because they can just teleport back to the ship.

Same thing yesterday when I stole another crew's ship as they were digging for treasure on an island, raised the anchor and set the sails so that it would float away from the island. What's the fun in it if they can just go to the mermaid straight away and spawn straight back?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The one thing I'll say I've disliked the most so far is how the mermaid system kind of takes a lot of the challenge out of it. Having a man overboard doesn't even matter because they can just teleport back to the ship.

Same thing yesterday when I stole another crew's ship as they were digging for treasure on an island, raised the anchor and set the sails so that it would float away from the island. What's the fun in it if they can just go to the mermaid straight away and spawn straight back?

I actually agree. The mermaid system is convenient but unless your crew mates are already on a ship, it should just spawn you a new ship back at a harbour.

Having it teleport you to your stolen ship is a little dumb.

Reactions: ScottishCanuck

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I actually agree. The mermaid system is convenient but unless your crew mates are already on a ship, it should just spawn you a new ship back at a harbour.

Having it teleport you to your stolen ship is a little dumb.

I tend to agree. If someone on a Galleon isnt going going to stay on the ship and all 3-4 guys are going to run onto the island, if someone steals your ship you should be SOL. However if someone is still on the ship (man overboard situation) then I think its fine to have a mermaid. Because they dont show up right away and sharks can be around. But yeah if NOBODY is left on the ship (unless you are a solo with no party) then I agree mermaids shouldnt send you back to your ship.

I am guessing they were worried if they didnt end you back to your ship it would just add another ship to the world should they teleport back to a new ship? But you could solve this buy if they hit that mermaid then whoever stole their ship it would scuttle the other ship.... Unless someone was still driving it and people were trying to have 2 ships.... I guess I am saying ships should have a timeout. If nobody is on them and its been stolen / the player is sooooooooo far away from it, it should be scuttled.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
No Man's Sea.

Rare must have learned a lot from Hello Games.
Have you played SoT yet? Or just trying to be the funny guy?

Got well over 20 hours into the game and found a person I play with regularly (well as regularly as 3 nights in a row can be lol) and its been epic every time. Each time we play its different. Sometimes we get into huge battles, other times were just cruising and collection tons of loot on voyages. I have never played a game where you join up with some randoms and have adventures like this and its so different every time.

Just having a blast. I can see it getting old after a while but just really enjoying the ride right now and don't think I will be bored of it anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad