Scouts vs HF Posters

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Was just looking at the rankings of players and there are some that the scouting services like noticably more than HF posters and vice versa. HF opinion tends to run a few weeks/months behind the professionals but occasionally prospects do live up to their hype.

Scouts like:
Turris, MacLean, Perron, White, Repik,
Alzner, Ellerby, Petrecki, Cross, Plante

Amateurs like:
Voracek, Couture, Eller, McMillan, Sweatt,
Moller, Hjalmarsson, O'Brien, Shattenkirk, Katic

We can guess that the first list of players will be drafted higher than is expected on here. The second list is probably a list of potential fallers from where they were expected to go (on HF). This is just a rough impression - I could be wrong.

Any more prospects for either list?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Rather general.... for example, I quite like Repik and don't like Couture so much. But I guess, in general, I agree with where you are going on this one.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Scouts like JVR too. It doesn't help that he hasn't played much.

I was golfing with an NHL scout just last week and we chatted about a few different players and scenarios.

He wasn't a huge fan of Kane or Gagner because they were small. He was a huge Turris fan though.

I had some different opinions of different players and prospects, I guess thats why he gets paid for it.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Hmm, I have maybe gotten the impression that it was fans who liked MacLean and Perron better than scouts (to pick two names from your list). :dunno:

But anyway, there are so many scouts and so many fans, and nobody samples more than a tiny fragment of the opinions of either side, so I reckon generalizations are bound to be fuzzy on this one.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think "scouts" is much too general. I'd bet the scouts for one team's overall ranking might differ dramatically on certain players than the scouts of another. Organizational philosophy plays a huge role I think as well. An example from Detroit would be Jiri Fischer, who was considered a top 10 talent in that draft by Detroit scouts but dropped to the end of the 1st round. I'll bet scouts in Anaheim view Mayorov's value much differently than scouts in Detroit do. I'll bet smaller players have much less value for the Ducks than they do for other teams simply because they won't fit into the mold of the organization.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Was just looking at the rankings of players and there are some that the scouting services like noticably more than HF posters and vice versa. HF opinion tends to run a few weeks/months behind the professionals but occasionally prospects do live up to their hype.

Scouts like:
Turris, MacLean, Perron, White, Repik,
Alzner, Ellerby, Petrecki, Cross, Plante

Amateurs like:
Voracek, Couture, Eller, McMillan, Sweatt,
Moller, Hjalmarsson, O'Brien, Shattenkirk, Katic

We can guess that the first list of players will be drafted higher than is expected on here. The second list is probably a list of potential fallers from where they were expected to go (on HF). This is just a rough impression - I could be wrong.

Any more prospects for either list?

Quick question: Did you take Cup, X-Sharkie, Duff88 and Hiishawk(Steblick) into the consideration, and if so, as scouts or HF-posters? Just wondering, as I have a great deal of respect for them, both as posters here,and scouts. (I believe all of them are scouts, can anyone verify this??)

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Generally speaking, HF posters are pretty conservative. They tend to hold on to players they "like" (seen or unseen) well after those players have dropped in the scouting consensus. And it usually takes a month or so before most start to echo what one hears on the scouting grapevine- especially via the commercial scouting services.

I'm really appreciative of those few posters who follow a team or a limited area closely and sometimes beat the scouring consensus on a player. We have one player we like who we noted, then went and saw (and liked) based largely on one very knowledgable HF poster's post back in December.

By this time of year though pretty much eveything is out although my club thinks it holds a few sleepers (as will every club) that HF boards posters virtually never mention.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad