Scouting

gardenfaithful44

Apr 2, 2007
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, I just joined today. I've always been fascinated with prospects, love to follow young talent, etc. Does anybody on this board have any info on how to get into scouting.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, I just joined today. I've always been fascinated with prospects, love to follow young talent, etc. Does anybody on this board have any info on how to get into scouting.

As the saying goes, if you have to ask the question, you probably won't understand the answer

razman22

Mar 24, 2006
What in the world would cause you to give such a rude answer to an innocent question?

This thread has some suggestions:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=347681&highlight=into+scouting

Soldat Samsonov is right. If a person has to go to this message board to ask the question, then they obviously don't have the background or connections for the position. Anybody that has been heavily involved with hockey will know how to become involved in scouting. It's not a job for an average guy that loves hockey and decides he wants to quit being an electrician and start watching junior hockey games for a living.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Soldat Samsonov is right. If a person has to go to this message board to ask the question, then they obviously don't have the background or connections for the position. Anybody that has been heavily involved with hockey will know how to become involved in scouting. It's not a job for an average guy that loves hockey and decides he wants to quit being an electrician and start watching junior hockey games for a living.
Why not? Everyone starts somewhere.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Why do people have to make such ignorant comments. The guy asked a simple, legit question.

So answer me this then, I've played AAA bantam, AAA midget, junior A and university hockey. I've coached AAA midget for 4 years now, and have worked with the Hamilton Bulldogs, getting the opportunity to meet several NHL scouts, but I don't know how to get involved in becoming a scout. So you're going to tell me that I don't have the background or connections for the position? I have plenty of background and a high degree of knowledge about the game, enough to scout, but I don't know the process to get involved.

Honestly, people need to give it a rest and just offer advice to the guy if you have it.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca

I think that's an incredibly short-sighted statement to make without knowing much about the original poster or their situation. It could just as easily be a student interested in that future as it could be your 'regular guy electrician'.

Soldat's Samsonov reply was rude. Plain and simple.

Does it help to know people? Sure, but that's the same story with every single job ever.

Does it help to be involved in hockey at a high level? Sure.

But like most things, hard work can help overcome those obstacles. All the guy asked for was some direction. As was mentioned in some of the links, the best bet is to start small with local teams and try to move up as opportunities present themselves. Is it easy? Probably not, you're not guaranteed to ever make it to the higher levels and the sacrifices in doing so might be very large (just like playing hockey). That said, it's not like he's asking to steal your job, so why be so defensive?

razman22

Mar 24, 2006
Why do people have to make such ignorant comments. The guy asked a simple, legit question.

So answer me this then, I've played AAA bantam, AAA midget, junior A and university hockey. I've coached AAA midget for 4 years now, and have worked with the Hamilton Bulldogs, getting the opportunity to meet several NHL scouts, but I don't know how to get involved in becoming a scout. So you're going to tell me that I don't have the background or connections for the position? I have plenty of background and a high degree of knowledge about the game, enough to scout, but I don't know the process to get involved.

Honestly, people need to give it a rest and just offer advice to the guy if you have it.

I suspect you're embelishing your credentials quite a bit if you have done what you say you've done and don't know how to get involved with scouting. Filling water bottles doesn't count as coaching and driving the Zamboni at the Bulldogs games doesn't count as worked with. I wouldn't exactly say playing Junior A or University hockey place leave a person connected either as that isn't exactly the pinnacle of talented hockey players. Yes you have some limited background at a low level. You might think you're qualified but you're not. That's why you don't know how to get involved as nobody has approached you.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Why not? Everyone starts somewhere.

I understand why you find Soldat Samsonov's reply rude, but just for the sake of the argument... Being a professional scout is the type of job a load of people would love to do, but there's few positions available. The vast majority of professional scouts are ex pro players or coachs who had a hockey career and who still have lots of connections in the hockey world.

It's not that its impossible for someone to learn the trade... it's just that they will be competiting with a lots of people who have vastly more experience and friends "in the know".

Plus, professional scouting is not that fun of a job. You're always on the road to watch junior players who may or may not be picked or even account for anything. It isn't glamorous, and it doesn't pay well.

In the end, if you really love scouting, you should probably just do it on an amateur level. Pick your local team and scout their home games. For every drafted players , write down a scouting report and post it on the board of the NHL team that owns him. Not only are you going to provide a valuable service to the community (people around here love to ear about this obscure prospect who just happen to play in your hometown) but you'll learn the job.

kalvincline

Nov 8, 2010
Halifax, NS
*sigh*

Some of the responses in this blog make me cringe. I hope these guys aren't involved in Canadian hockey at any level because it's these type of close minded screaming hockey dads who played high school hockey, junior B or maybe got drafted in the CHL that love the Hanson brothers for the wrong reason.

A friend of mine is the head scout for the Kingston Frontinacs (not the NHL...I'm well aware) but he worked his butt off like some of the guys in previous posts mentioned, by traveling many hours and 4 or 5 nights a week throughout Ontario to watch small town Bantam or Midget games. He did this for several years reporting to a "guy" that reported to a "guy". Finally, his guy moved on and he filled his spot. I recall hearing his reports on players I never heard of prior to upcoming NHL drafts and then starring at TSN reporters read word for word some of the scouting reports he recited to us. Eventually, he ended up filling the next guys spot. Skip forward another few years (present) and the Fronteniacs are now first in the division.

Where's this going? I'm glad I asked...

He played a year or two of high school hockey in a small town in Cape Breton, NS. He didn't have any contacts to speak of; he didn't play 15 years of hockey in 4 levels to hone his scouting craft. He improved his scouting by practicing something....scouting!

How come great players don't make great coaches? (Rhetorical)

I fell most scouts that played the game at a high level and then get scouting jobs do so because they can't get a real job after hockey. Great salesmen usually don’t make great Sales managers and guys who can take advantage of a weak glove side may not be able to see the talent in 13 yrs. old Martin St.Louis, CuJo, or John Maden.

PLease save your cynical comments/advice for the boys at Tim’s and the coaches that aren’t giving Junior enough playing time.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Start at the bottom, offer your services to a Jr. A or Midget AAA team likely for free and work your way up. Helps if you're in an area their main scouts can't get to.

This. Prepare to watch a ton of bantam and midget AAA hockey. Coaching is always good as well. Alot of guys coach AAA and do scouting for teams on the side

member 30781

more info-
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=570990&page=4

Note- to be a Pro Scout for an NHL team you in most cases have to be a former pro player, coach etc.

To be an Amateur Scout for an NHL team this is not the case.

Can a mod PLEASE stickey that above link on the Prospects board? I think it would be VERY beneficial for those who want to pursue a career in scouting.

Instead of looking everywhere for that link, and the question about becoming a scout consistently being asked, it would be much easier to have it stickied in this forum.

Reivilo

Oct 19, 2007
For those who don't believe it's possible if you don't have a particular background

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/2010/11/10/skinner-snake-et-le-recrutement/?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_bloguesaccueilcp_BO3_accueil_ECRAN1POS2

The guy had no particular background or connections and was a translator

babel translation of the most interesting part :
The history becomes interesting here. In this era when the Internet takes a place unceasingly growing in our life, it seems that there is hope for the anonymous Net surfers. Thanks to the reputation which it forged on this blogist, Snake70 obtained a hearing from a leader of team, which I will not identify. I will be satisfied to say that it is about a club among the following leagues: LNH, LHJMQ, OHL, WHL. At the end of its one hour meeting, Snake was engaged at once. I on the occasion to converse since with this man of hockey in question, which does not certainly miss audacity and of humility. It was highly impressed by knowledge and the judgement of our discussed bloguor. It still did not manage to include/understand how such a secret talent could have been kept during also a long time. This leader entrusted to me to be impressed by the eye of Snake, but also by his vision, and, according to what I could include/understand, our Net surfer seems to be dedicated with a bright future with them. And I would not be astonished to quickly see it climbing the levels.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
For those who don't believe it's possible if you don't have a particular background

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/2010/11/10/skinner-snake-et-le-recrutement/?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_bloguesaccueilcp_BO3_accueil_ECRAN1POS2

The guy had no particular background or connections and was a translator

babel translation of the most interesting part :

I was about to post that

congrats to the guy even though I can't say I'm impressed by his predictions ... Skinner and Duchene turning into good players and Windsor winning the Memorial Cup but still, kudos to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad