Scouting Thread

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really wouldn't read too much into the Pens' scout being Derek Clancey. Yes, he's the Director of Pro Scouting, but the Pens only list two other Pro Scouts on staff (Al Santilli and Ryan Bowness).

For that matter, at this point, the Pens know who their targets are. I doubt they need to do any more scouting. From here on out, they're most likely just looking towards future games, and potential summer UFAs.

Or even guys like Oleksiak and Sheahan for trades next year.

That said, if you wanted to read really hard into things... maybe Ducks suddenly looking to move Vermette.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I suspect VGK is scouting defensemen. Maybe Jack Johnson? Maybe they're interested in Hunwick for depth. That's definitely a team doing it with smoke and mirrors on defense. Slim chance pre-scouting, I suppose.

CHI has been looking at us for about a week or so, no? No clue what we'd be discussing. Or, it could be pre-scouting Columbus.

I know what I hope OTT is about. Maybe JR said he can move the salaries he needs to move if they want to deal, so they're back for a last look?

LAK has been scouting us for a while, but who knows what's up now that they've got Celine Phaneuf. It could be early pre-scouting of Columbus, I suppose, depending upon how the scout's itinerary is set.

When i saw LA had interest in Phil i remembered LA always scouting us last year.

It never really made much sense last year considering both teams were buyers at the deadline.

I wonder if JR has been talking to LA for a while about Phil and this why they were scouting so much last year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Phil was tearing it up in the season so i doubt he was even being talked about.
Probably more Sheary or Cole.
I know LA is trying to get faster and eventually acquired Reider.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Phil was tearing it up in the season so i doubt he was even being talked about.
Probably more Sheary or Cole.
I know LA is trying to get faster and eventually acquired Reider.

I remember we were speculating about Sheary at the time, but Kessel is plausible. Rutherford said we scouted both Sheahan and Oleksiak the season before when we had relatively little use for them iirc and, depending on which version of events you believe, its quite possible the Kings (and other teams) would believe there's a chance Kessel would be moved this summer anyway.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah, LA was scouting us almost every game for a while.

We also were scouting LA and its minor league team.

LA has been looking for a RW to play with Kopitar for a while now, Phil has been rumored in trade talks since last summer.

It just makes a ton of sense to me that this is something JR and Blake have been talking about for a long time.

You don't scout a team that much for a 3rd pair def or a 3rd line winger.

Calgary was also scouting us a good bit, they also have a big need for a RW scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad