Scouting Thread

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
The only name that COULD make sense would be Bozak, and I don't see why Toronto moves him. Makes no sense.

I also think that the other times we've seen Toronto, they've been playing a different team which we've been regularly scouting for (presumably) a potential trade. Ottawa, for example . . .
True. It makes sense to double up.

“Hey, we have a trade offer from Ottawa and we play Toronto two more times this year AND they play each other tomorrow. Why don’t we go scout them? Two birds, one stone!”

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

Jets Assistant GM and Pro Scout attending.

To add more smoke, Jets don’t play Penguins or Senators for the rest of the year . . .

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The pens are playing the biggest seller in the NHL tonight.

If their was ever a night to not read into scouts at a pens game it would be tonight.

We are interested in what they are selling though.

AltDess

Jun 19, 2009
With the LA Kings acquiring Dion Phaneuf will be interesting to see if the Pens-Kings mutual scouting continues. Were Kings scouting Ian Cole?

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
The Calgary Flames are scouting the Penguins for the second game in a row. Don Maloney, the Flames VP of Hockey Operations is in the house.
The St. Louis Blues Assistant GM, Kevin McDonald is also listed.
A pro scout from the L.A. Kings and the New Jersey Devils are also here.

Source

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Ryan Bowness(Pro scout) at Senators/Rangers game.

We play Rangers 3/14 and are done with Senators.

Doesn’t surprise me that we are scouting them ... they are the two biggest sellers.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wouldn't be surprised if the Flames were scouting Sheary. Their RW depth looks pretty bunk.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not sure he plays well anywhere at this point haha.

But isn't RW where he was for G-C-S last year? The last couple games with Sid too IIRC.

He was but that line bled goals. He was good going forward but overall not great. It looked good because they scored a lot and it was fun to watch but it masked bigger problems which got exposed in the playoffs.

That wasn’t all Sheary’s fault (bad combo for defence).

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

All teams are done with PIT.

VGK plays CBJ 3/6
CHI plays CBJ 2/24
OTT plays CBJ 3/17
LAK plays CBJ 3/1

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

All teams are done with PIT.

VGK plays CBJ 3/6
CHI plays CBJ 2/24
OTT plays CBJ 3/17
LAK plays CBJ 3/1

I suspect VGK is scouting defensemen. Maybe Jack Johnson? Maybe they're interested in Hunwick for depth. That's definitely a team doing it with smoke and mirrors on defense. Slim chance pre-scouting, I suppose.

CHI has been looking at us for about a week or so, no? No clue what we'd be discussing. Or, it could be pre-scouting Columbus.

I know what I hope OTT is about. Maybe JR said he can move the salaries he needs to move if they want to deal, so they're back for a last look?

LAK has been scouting us for a while, but who knows what's up now that they've got Celine Phaneuf. It could be early pre-scouting of Columbus, I suppose, depending upon how the scout's itinerary is set.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I suspect VGK is scouting defensemen. Maybe Jack Johnson? Maybe they're interested in Hunwick for depth. That's definitely a team doing it with smoke and mirrors on defense. Slim chance pre-scouting, I suppose.

CHI has been looking at us for about a week or so, no? No clue what we'd be discussing. Or, it could be pre-scouting Columbus.

I know what I hope OTT is about. Maybe JR said he can move the salaries he needs to move if they want to deal, so they're back for a last look?

LAK has been scouting us for a while, but who knows what's up now that they've got Celine Phaneuf. It could be early pre-scouting of Columbus, I suppose, depending upon how the scout's itinerary is set.
I haven't found the actually name list yet. The name list actually shows something.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Ducks vs Stars

Derek Clancy is our Director of Pro Scouting. We play the Stars 3/11.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I really wouldn't read too much into the Pens' scout being Derek Clancey. Yes, he's the Director of Pro Scouting, but the Pens only list two other Pro Scouts on staff (Al Santilli and Ryan Bowness).

For that matter, at this point, the Pens know who their targets are. I doubt they need to do any more scouting. From here on out, they're most likely just looking towards future games, and potential summer UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad