Scouting Thread

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As far as who's been around watching PIT that i know of:

BUF, EDM were in to PPG for a bit a month or so ago.
CHI and DAL have been highlighted lately.

Reactions: Shaffer

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Here is the interesting development: Bruins Assistant GM John Ferguson is in attendance. Pittsburgh Hockey Now has been working to confirm trade talks between the two, but thus far have only been presented second-hand accounts. However, AGM’s do not scout teams for media room buffets.

The L.A. Kings, who also scouted the Penguins in San Jose, are here, as is a single scout from each of the Winnipeg Jets and Vegas Golden Knights.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Could be. (re: Spooner)

I imagine JR will just hang on to Cole, have several targets in mind in a swap for him and ultimately decide on one.

But then again, Cole isn't playing so...lul.
Could be simply, they are scouting something on the Canes.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
The New York Rangers have two scouts in attendance; the Pittsburgh based scout (former Penguins company man Rick Kehoe) and a second. The Wild do not appear on the Rangers schedule until mid-February.

Also in attendance, for the second straight game are the Winnipeg Jets. The L.A. Kings are scouting the Pens for the third consecutive game.
Something up with Jets or Kings?

Pens vs Kings 2/15
Pens are done with the Jets

Source

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Once again the L.A. Kings and Winnipeg Jets are here to scout the Penguins. Both teams were also in attendance in the games leading up to the All-Star break.

The Winnipeg Jets are scouting their third straight game. The New York Rangers locally based scout is here as are the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Very interesting are the Jets and Kings . . . You don’t scout a team four straight times without something going on.

Pens play Kings 2/15 and are done with the Jets.

Sharks(@ PIT tonight) are done playing both Kings and Jets.

Source

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Very interesting are the Jets and Kings . . . You don’t scout a team four straight times without something going on.

Pens play Kings 2/15 and are done with the Jets.

Sharks(@ PIT tonight) are done playing both Kings and Jets.

Source
Sheary for Lowry?
Cole to LA for 2nd?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really tough to say with those 2 teams specifically.
Either trading something to get something they can use back or trading something to them to clear the $ needed to fit something in from another deal.

Thats if they are, indeed, looking at something from PIT.

ETA: After looking at LA's roster a Lewis would make some sense but he's not playing C a whole lot/not an ace FO guy.
Mitchell, meh.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but teams scout pending free agents that they might be interested in signing.

For example if LA or the Jets were interested in signing Horny they could send scouts to watch him.

We don't actually know if they are scouting for trades.

Reactions: OscarsCards

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but teams scout pending free agents that they might be interested in signing.

For example if LA or the Jets were interested in signing Horny they could send scouts to watch him.

We don't actually know if they are scouting for trades.

While thats true scouting 4and 3 games in succession seems a tad high for taking a look at FAs which they could also do easier when the Pens are on the west coast. Obviously not saying we make a trade but there is some smoke.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Trouba is out for a few weeks, and Kulikov is already out. Jets could be looking for a guy like Cole or Hunwick, although Cole seems more of a fit than Humwick does. They also have a bit of a jam at C once Schiefele gets back. Scheifele, Little, Lowry, and Wheeler though he usually plays wing. They have some others that can play C when needed, Perreault, Roslovic, Hendricks(Pass).

It would be nice to get Roslovic, problem is he is unproven in the NHL (only 8 or so GP), but he has been dominating the A this year (35 pts in 32GP in his second season, 48 in 65 last year). I don't think the Jets would move him, and I don't think JR would consider him due to him being green. Maybe Perreault could be had as a hockey trade, but he's in the middle of a career year so price could be inflated. He's also signed for 3 more seasons.

Wheeler, Hendricks, and Enstrom are UFA's at the end of the year, but the Jets have been good so I don't see them moving Wheeler or Enstrom and Hendricks shouldn't be on our radar.

Tl;DR I don't see a fit.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Hey guys... what's the lowdown on Cole being scratched so much? I haven't been following the hockey talk circles, media, or this site (since the redesign). Gimme the indepth skinny on it, please and thanks in advance!

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Hey guys... what's the lowdown on Cole being scratched so much? I haven't been following the hockey talk circles, media, or this site (since the redesign). Gimme the indepth skinny on it, please and thanks in advance!
There was some speculation he banged Sullivan’s wife.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
They were allegedly shopping him for a trade. He may or may not have asked to be traded, I'm not certain.

Yeah but you don't bench players you want to showcase for tradebait. That's not to say they weren't shopping him, but I highly doubt they benched him for weeks for THAT reason. More likely they're are/were shopping him because he's sitting. So there's gotta be a reason related to his play, that has him benched, which confuses me because I'm not seeing his play as our 7th best option, nor a major drop off from his play historically.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah but you don't bench players you want to showcase for tradebait. That's not to say they weren't shopping him, but I highly doubt they benched him for weeks for THAT reason. More likely they're are/were shopping him because he's sitting. So there's gotta be a reason related to his play, that has him benched, which confuses me because I'm not seeing his play as our 7th best option, nor a major drop off from his play historically.

Not sure how much he needs to be showcased. Guy just played major roles in 2 straight cup wins. I think teams out there know what they're getting. I think it's more of 1) he's taken some bad penalties 2) don't want an injury to derail any deal 3) if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Not sure how much he needs to be showcased. Guy just played major roles in 2 straight cup wins. I think teams out there know what they're getting. I think it's more of 1) he's taken some bad penalties 2) don't want an injury to derail any deal 3) if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1) I can see the penalties being a problem. I noticed he's been taking quite a few. Is that the reason for him being benched?

2) If #1 is true, then #2 "can" make sense.

3) This one I don't get because as you say... "Guy just played major roles in 2 straight cup wins".

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
1) I can see the penalties being a problem. I noticed he's been taking quite a few. Is that the reason for him being benched?

2) If #1 is true, then #2 "can" make sense.

3) This one I don't get because as you say... "Guy just played major roles in 2 straight cup wins".

#3 meaning that they started getting hot with him on the bench so they rolled with it. At least until Hunwick got hurt. They did the same thing with DeSmith and Jarry/Murray.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
#3 meaning that they started getting hot with him on the bench so they rolled with it. At least until Hunwick got hurt. They did the same thing with DeSmith and Jarry/Murray.

Ahh, gotcha. I see what you're sayin' now.
That said, I think they also benched him for a chunk of games, before they got a roll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad