Scouting report on the draft

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
This is one scout's opinion--Im sure others disagree on some....Giroux could go late first,but that size factor could push him back into the 2nd--but if you add in team needs of goalies and centres plus add in euros of all positions he could get pushed fromthe top third of round two to the bottom third of round two--ya just don't know till it happens...

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
rt said:
I think you got me wrong. If the kid is a pompus ***, then rate him lower. You don't need to clown on him all day in the hall, though.

His wake up call will come draft day, when instead of sneaking into the first round, he plummets to the late third.

Either he'll gain maturity, or he won't. Jokes at his expense, aren't any help.

Is the interview process supposed to be a healing and hand-holding life hug?

Maybe so....but if you are an idiot, then you are fair game in any hallway.

Sucks for him, but sounds like he begged for it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
WrightOn said:
Is the interview process supposed to be a healing and hand-holding life hug?

Nope. Be as hard as you want, but being a professional about it never hurts.

WrightOn said:
Maybe so....but if you are an idiot, then you are fair game in any hallway.

I'd agree totally, but we're talking about a kid.

WrightOn said:
Sucks for him, but sounds like he begged for it.

Could very well be.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
rt said:
I'd agree totally, but we're talking about a kid.

So what? He's still got a right to be an idiot, and people still have a right to point it out to eachother in a hallway. Am I really still discussing this with you?

Someone should be calling me an idiot in a hallway right now.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I guess it would be tough to know what warranted Fischer supposedly being called an idiot. He didn't have the greatest coaching at Apple Valley so he would only be telling the truth about that. His past teammates seem to really like him. At one game, a mother of one of his teammates raved in the stands about how good a kid he is and the father of another kid was very positive about him as well. It would seem to me they would know better than most since they have had kids playing on teams with him for years.

Maybe his confidence in himself came across badly in interviews but I wasn't there to see what happened so I can't say. I guess I would rather draft a kid with confidence that he can do good things than to draft a kid with no spine and is a shrinking violet.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PuckFan01 said:
I guess it would be tough to know what warranted Fischer supposedly being called an idiot. He didn't have the greatest coaching at Apple Valley so he would only be telling the truth about that. His past teammates seem to really like him. At one game, a mother of one of his teammates raved in the stands about how good a kid he is and the father of another kid was very positive about him as well. It would seem to me they would know better than most since they have had kids playing on teams with him for years.

Maybe his confidence in himself came across badly in interviews but I wasn't there to see what happened so I can't say. I guess I would rather draft a kid with confidence that he can do good things than to draft a kid with no spine and is a shrinking violet.

Good points. Like I said, it's pretty tough to say a kid has "character issues" through a limited viewing at a draft combine. I know first impressions are important, but shouldn't the opinion of people who actually know him count?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Turnbuckle: Thanks for the good read.

On Williams....he's heading to a terrific program at Wisconsin and I think the scouts who'll be watching him closely when he gets there this fall, will gradually see a more defensively responsible Williams. It's one of the things that Mike Eaves stresses to ALL of his players about being conscientious about not only game in and game out but in practice as well.

somepuck

Jun 6, 2006
Fischer

This just flooered me! I have been coming here for sometime and never posted.

I have been around the Apple Valley hockey program a long time ( the high school in Minnesota Fischer attended) and never heard anything but good things. Great family, hard work ethic, smart - with the books and on the ice, confident - yes, cocky - always depends on who you are talking to, what good athletes don't have some of that in them.

Must have impressed the University Minnesota coaches alot, was recruited by many more.

He won Mr. Hockey and I spoke with people that attended and said he was very articulate and humble at winning.

Maybe a bad interview? I wasn't there but it contrdicts everything I have ever heard about this kid.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the original post.

In any other business, if you were interviewing for a profession and had a bizarre candidate, you wouldn't go crowing about it to all your colleagues. It would be the height of unprofessionalism. I doubt scouts would tell any old gomer who interviewed poorly.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the original post.

In any other business, if you were interviewing for a profession and had a bizarre candidate, you wouldn't go crowing about it to all your colleagues. It would be the height of unprofessionalism. I doubt scouts would tell any old gomer who interviewed poorly.

Well you haven't worked in the business world then. People do that kind of stuff all the time. It may be unprofessional.......but it happens everyday.

rt

May 13, 2004
WrightOn said:
So what? He's still got a right to be an idiot, and people still have a right to point it out to eachother in a hallway.

Burke's Evil Spirit said:
In any other business, if you were interviewing for a profession and had a bizarre candidate, you wouldn't go crowing about it to all your colleagues. It would be the height of unprofessionalism.

That's what I'm saying.

Spongebob said:
Well you haven't worked in the business world then. People do that kind of stuff all the time. It may be unprofessional.......but it happens everyday.

Very true. People do things everyday that they shouldn't be doing. Sometimes the right way to do something is not the common way of doing it.

rt

May 13, 2004
WrightOn said:
Am I really still discussing this with you?

Someone should be calling me an idiot in a hallway right now.

Look, if I interviewed some kid who was going to join my crew, and he came off as an arrogant Pejorative Slur, I'd probably make fun of him with my guys, too. Difference is, I'm an immature, blue collar, twenty one year old. I'm not a fourty or fifty year old professional.

I'm just questioning the professionalism and maturity of the people in question, in the initial post of this thread.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Furthermore, it only takes one team who didn't share the view to buck the trend. It's easy to say: "well, two scouts told me a few guys thought the guy was a joke so that means he's going to fall several rounds" and this may be true for the most part, but it only takes one team having him high on their list to pick him.

We see this all the time. I'm sure that most teams didn't ahve Setoguchi as a top 15 pick last year. The Sharks saw something they liked a lot and acted on it. Also, one scout's opinion doesn't mean a team will act upon that. Last year I sat beside a Western Conference scout who was very clearly extremely high on a certain player from the start to the finish of the season. Yet, come draft day, his team actually traded away the pick that was ultimately used to select that player.

Well, the math goes both ways. 5 teams may have had Robbie Schremp in their top 15, but he still dropped to 25. Similaryl, most players are never picked at their "highest ranking". The odds of that are quite remote outside of the top few picks. For every player picked at 20, he was probably rated better than #20 on several teams list.

An interesting read. You can never take this stuff too literally, but at the same time, it's not something I'll forget either.

turnbuckle*

Fischer was asked by this scout if he was prepared to be the fifth or sixth defenceman on his college team next season; he replied that the coaches would have to be brain dead given his talent. That was just one of his comments.

When a player says stuff like that during the interview process, it raises red flags, and believe me, word gets around the scouting community, whether you think of it as mature or not. I don't think they were all standing around laughing about him; I think some of you took the "running joke" comment too seriously. That's the problem with second hand info sometimes; it can get misinterpreted by the reader.

I don't doubt he's not a bad kid, just very cocky and perhaps misguided. If he's got the talent some team will take a chance on him in the first round I suspect, although I expect him to have dropped on many team's lists.

BTW - there were other things in that writeup; don't dwell on that. It's one scout's comments as was pointed out.

Poor interviews happen.

A scout told me that he really liked Terry Ryan going in to the 1996 draft, but when he got into the interview room the first thing he did was turn his back to the scouts as he pigged out on the food on the hospitality table. Turned all of them right off before the interview ever got started, and they really began to question his character, and with good reason as it turned out.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
X-SHARKIE said:
Some times there are bad coaches, hell I had a terrible hs coach who a year after going to state, scrapped our top line and put his freshman son on the left wing over last years second leading scorer.

That's what I was going to say. Instead of being an idiot, it's entirely possible his coach was pathetic and the kid was being *honest*. :)

Maybe he just hasn't rented Bull Durham yet to learn the cliches.

If you did have a pathetic coach, is it better to lie and say Coach Schmuck was great and you really owed him a lot, or be truthful and say he couldn't match lines if his life depended on it?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
turnbuckle from all the info i got from your posts, i am guessing you talked to montreal scouts:P

second guess would be Minnesota.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
turnbuckle said:
Fischer was asked by this scout if he was prepared to be the fifth or sixth defenceman on his college team next season; he replied that the coaches would have to be brain dead given his talent. That was just one of his comments.

:dunno: Sounds like confidence to me. If he's good, he's right. Personally, I like a guy to be confident, even cocky. Time has shown me that it's the confident ones that turn out to be winners. The mousy ones who say "oh gosh I'd be lucky just to make the team" often fail.

A scout told me that he really liked Terry Ryan going in to the 1996 draft, but when he got into the interview room the first thing he did was turn his back to the scouts as he pigged out on the food on the hospitality table.

I don't see those two events as comparable at all. Ryan is showing a complete lack of focus, more interested in the food than what he's there for.

A Good Flying Bird*

turnbuckle said:
Heard lots of interesting stuff, including that Fischer is the biggest "idiot" of the draft. Mr. Fischer spent the majority of his combine interviews espousing his greatness and putting down his coaching - and I mean "really" putting down his coaching. This was not an isolated thing - Fischer managed to turn off pretty much every team he interviewed, and the scouts had a running joke going after awhile. One scout told me that he ran into a colleague partway through the interviews, and he said "Did you interview the idiot yet?" He asked who it was, and the fellow scout replied 'Oh, you'll know when you talk to him."

The next time he met scouts in the hallway, others began talking about whether others had interviewed "the idiot" - he was perhaps
the most obnoxious interview they had ever had. It became a running joke.
."

I suppose HFboards doesn't care about libel?
This is pretty outlandish.

turnbuckle*

TinCanCommunications said:
I suppose HFboards doesn't care about libel?
This is pretty outlandish.

You are pretty outlandish. You do know what libel is I gather, doesn't sound like you do unless you feel I'm outright lying and being malicious. If that's the case so be it, think what you like.

I will once again remind readers that the scouts were calling Fischer's interviewing skills idiotic, I don't believe they were all of the opinion that he is a horrible human being or a dimwit, just way too overzealous in defending his greatness - not the first kid to do it and likely won't be the last.

This scout used the term idiot - did they all say idiot? Probably not; I suspect he was embellishing that part somewhat. He's not a man to mince words - not all scouts are as outspoken as him. People around here really have a tendency to overreact to second hand information, interpret a certain way and reach an unwavering opinion on it.

turnbuckle*

PecaFan said:
I don't see those two events as comparable at all. Ryan is showing a complete lack of focus, more interested in the food than what he's there for.

You don't? They are quite comparable in that the scout dropped both Fischer and Ryan down on his draft list after the interview process - it was for different reasons, but nevertheless the end result was the same.

turnbuckle*

boredmale said:
turnbuckle from all the info i got from your posts, i am guessing you talked to montreal scouts:P

second guess would be Minnesota.

I am a Hab fan first and foremost; that's why you would be thinking that. I'm especially intersted in players ranked in the 15-20 range.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Well, the math goes both ways. 5 teams may have had Robbie Schremp in their top 15, but he still dropped to 25. Similaryl, most players are never picked at their "highest ranking". The odds of that are quite remote outside of the top few picks. For every player picked at 20, he was probably rated better than #20 on several teams list.

An interesting read. You can never take this stuff too literally, but at the same time, it's not something I'll forget either.

Absolutely, this is exactly what I said with Latendresse's fall last year. As for your example, five teams may have had Robbie Schremp in their top ten for all we know. But when they came to pick, maybe number nine was available for each of them. Where a player was picked isn't necessarily entirely indicative of how teams viewed them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->