Scouting report for Alexander Picard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Sue me, I can't wait until THN's Draft Preview ;)

Can anyone here give me a real in-depth scouting report on Alexander Picard? I saw him play in the Russian Selects tournament, and since then he's become my favorite (not best, favorite) prospect in the draft.

Can any of you guys who see him on a more regular basis for me tell me his pro's and con's?

In particular:

How's his skating?

His shot?

How physical is he?

Who would you compare him to as an NHL player?

Thanks in advance.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Strong Skater with great speed.

I didn't get a great look at his shot but it seems average with good accuracy.

He is extreamly physical in the QMJHL, I don't know how that will translate to pro hockey but it is a plus.

A stronger Sami Kapanen

PS: I only seen him play 3 times in the Q and once in the prospects game.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
From what I've read and what little I've seen of him he is tall (6'-2"), very lean, a good skater with alot of skill. While I would say that I've seen him alot, when I did he seems to be a Miro Satan type. I've read that he doesn't show up to play every night and thats his major drawback.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Here is my take, he is also one of my favorite prospects for the draft as well. I have only seen him play in person twice. In those 2 games, Lewiston has scored 4 goals. Picard scored all 4.

He is an offensive threat whenever he steps onto the ice. He has great hands around the net. If a rebound squirts loose, he'll react quicker than anyone else and the puck will be in the net. He isn't a big guy, but plays like a power forward, stands in front of the net screening on power plays, and likes to go wide and then power his way to the front of the net Jagr style when he has a D-man to beat.

I would describe his skating as above average. He has enough speed to get anywhere he wants to go as fast as most anyone else, but I would describe him as an awkward skater, he doesn't look as if he is skating as fluid as he is, he skates in a somewhat awkward crouched position...but the important part is that he has the speed it takes to beat Defenseman, and He is one of those guys that gets a burst of adrenaline and skates a lot harder when the puck is either in front of him or on his stick. Some people might say that is a negative, and that he should skate hard the whole time, but he does, he is just one of those guys that gets wide-eyed when the puck squirts loose and he is going to make sure he gets there first.

Some scouting reports describe him as a two-way player. I only halfway agree with this. He plays physical and certainly is not a defensive liability, but in 2 whole games I haven't seen him take one shift on the PK, He sees a lot of ice otherwise, so maybe that is his chance for a breather, but when a couple 16 year old kids are getting PK time over him on an average Q team, He sure isn't a future selke nominee.

He does however, play physically. And if I could describe Picard in one word it would be FEARLESS. He will put his body in all types of situations to try to put the puck in the net. He'll skate at full speed to get to a loose puck when he knows he will end up smashing into the post, and he takes whacks all night standing in front of the goalie on the PP, but like I said before he plays a lot bigger than his size and does what it takes to try to score, whether he takes a beating or not.

Now that we have all the praise out of the way, and I already mentioned he is one of my favorite players for this draft, Something still doesn't seem right about him. My eyes see a great player, but my brain wants to label him a potential bust, and I can't quite pinpoint why.

I can only think of 2 real negative things that I can think of. The first, which is pretty irrelevant is that he spends a lot of time talking to the refs, and I doubt they are his buddies from back home. Some might label him a whiner, and he may be one to draw more calls from refs because he won't keep his mouth shut. The other main negative alludes to something I mentioned before about him playing a power forward style game. This may not translate well into the pro game. I doubt we will see a 6'1, 185 kid playing the same style game he plays now when he hits the professional game, all of the sudden the defenseman are 6'5 instead of 5'11, and he isn't going to be able to power to the net the way he does against inferior Quebec League opponents. Only time will tell, but I still think he is a bit of a risky pick.

I think he is a real good pick anywhere in the teens, and could be a steal if he lasts at all into the bottom third of the first round.

Bottom line is I love the kid, I think he is a great prospect and wish him to have a very solid career. I may have a bad feeling about him somewhere deep down, but I like him enough to write this much about him, which is something I hardly ever do.

I hope at least some of this info helps

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
TMHUNH said:
Here is my take, he is also one of my favorite prospects for the draft as well. I have only seen him play in person twice. In those 2 games, Lewiston has scored 4 goals. Picard scored all 4.

He is an offensive threat whenever he steps onto the ice. He has great hands around the net. If a rebound squirts loose, he'll react quicker than anyone else and the puck will be in the net. He isn't a big guy, but plays like a power forward, stands in front of the net screening on power plays, and likes to go wide and then power his way to the front of the net Jagr style when he has a D-man to beat.

I would describe his skating as above average. He has enough speed to get anywhere he wants to go as fast as most anyone else, but I would describe him as an awkward skater, he doesn't look as if he is skating as fluid as he is, he skates in a somewhat awkward crouched position...but the important part is that he has the speed it takes to beat Defenseman, and He is one of those guys that gets a burst of adrenaline and skates a lot harder when the puck is either in front of him or on his stick. Some people might say that is a negative, and that he should skate hard the whole time, but he does, he is just one of those guys that gets wide-eyed when the puck squirts loose and he is going to make sure he gets there first.

Some scouting reports describe him as a two-way player. I only halfway agree with this. He plays physical and certainly is not a defensive liability, but in 2 whole games I haven't seen him take one shift on the PK, He sees a lot of ice otherwise, so maybe that is his chance for a breather, but when a couple 16 year old kids are getting PK time over him on an average Q team, He sure isn't a future selke nominee.

He does however, play physically. And if I could describe Picard in one word it would be FEARLESS. He will put his body in all types of situations to try to put the puck in the net. He'll skate at full speed to get to a loose puck when he knows he will end up smashing into the post, and he takes whacks all night standing in front of the goalie on the PP, but like I said before he plays a lot bigger than his size and does what it takes to try to score, whether he takes a beating or not.

Now that we have all the praise out of the way, and I already mentioned he is one of my favorite players for this draft, Something still doesn't seem right about him. My eyes see a great player, but my brain wants to label him a potential bust, and I can't quite pinpoint why.

I can only think of 2 real negative things that I can think of. The first, which is pretty irrelevant is that he spends a lot of time talking to the refs, and I doubt they are his buddies from back home. Some might label him a whiner, and he may be one to draw more calls from refs because he won't keep his mouth shut. The other main negative alludes to something I mentioned before about him playing a power forward style game. This may not translate well into the pro game. I doubt we will see a 6'1, 185 kid playing the same style game he plays now when he hits the professional game, all of the sudden the defenseman are 6'5 instead of 5'11, and he isn't going to be able to power to the net the way he does against inferior Quebec League opponents. Only time will tell, but I still think he is a bit of a risky pick.

I think he is a real good pick anywhere in the teens, and could be a steal if he lasts at all into the bottom third of the first round.

Bottom line is I love the kid, I think he is a great prospect and wish him to have a very solid career. I may have a bad feeling about him somewhere deep down, but I like him enough to write this much about him, which is something I hardly ever do.

I hope at least some of this info helps

nice job! I've seen him a few times and I've been impressed with him every time. He didn't seem that physical to me, but his offensive game was what really got my attention. Nice shot, and good offensive instincts, plus good speed. I read that he was known as a player who didn't work very hard just relyed on his skillls, but now he knows that he can't do that and be successful. I was hoping to get to see him in lewiston but work got in the way! :cry:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think the guy is over rated slightly. He is a year older than most prospects and still plays inconsistant. By 18 in the Q you should be ready to play every game.

He does have a nice overall package but i dont think he will be picked any earlier than 25th.

Not to knock the kid or anything, but some people i find are too high on him.

Sag96

Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm agree with you Laprise, i saw him last night again and i don't think is so fast and physical than describe ..... More a one way player for me. And his skating position is not the best for NHL (he skates too low).

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Sag96 said:
I'm agree with you Laprise, i saw him last night again and i don't think is so fast and physical than describe ..... More a one way player for me. And his skating position is not the best for NHL (he skates too low).
That's what I've written. He's hunched over more for my liking and in my talks with him he knows he's once dimensional. He describes his style as 'cheating' on his defensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->