Scott 'the gomer' Gomez's contract

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
he is getting this contract because he has the potential to just rack up the points by passing to Jagr and Shanahan while on the PP.

and then he'll play with Jagr and Straka the rest of the time.

anything less than 100pts and its a failure of a contract. if he can get 80+pts (33goals) while missing Elias for 39games in 05-06, he should get 100pts with Jagr and Shanahan.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Not that I agree with the contract number but Gomez has won 2 Cups and a Calder. And the Devils have never been known as an offensive powerhouse. Drury also has won a Cup and a Calder. The Briere contract is the one that is questionable IMO, too high a number for waaaaay too long. But that's JMO.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not that I agree with the contract number but Gomez has won 2 Cups and a Calder. And the Devils have never been known as an offensive powerhouse. Drury also has won a Cup and a Calder. The Briere contract is the one that is questionable IMO, too high a number for waaaaay too long. But that's JMO.

He had little to do with the Cups. I can't remember him ever coming up big during those Cup runs. His point totals in the 3 playoffs where they went to he final playing 23+ playoff games were 10, 14, and 12. The first two teams were at the top of the league offensively. His regular season numbers outside of his rookie year and the post-lockout year where numbers were inflated across the board because of the number of penalties aren't spectacular. He's only scored more than 20 goals once and only gotten over 70 points once both the post-lockout year with a ton of penalties called. Then add on how he has had motivation problems throughout his time in NJ and it's a very questionable contract.

Unless Renney is hard ass on him I don't see him putting up the numbers to justify the contract.

Al Trautwig

Throaty Roar
Nov 20, 2004
The MSG Vault
It's a lot of money that is for sure. I think at the end of the day his motivation will prove the worth of his contract. As a devs fan I always felt like he coasted through a lot of regular season games. I always chalked it up to his effortless skating ability. But in last years playoffs he really seemed like he didnt care against ottawa, win or lose. I really think it's alot of money for a lot of years, and i can't say that he has earned that security. I don't want it to sound like sour grapes but his performance in the '00, '01, and 03' playoffs left a lot to be desired. I wish him luck because at the end of the day i enjoyed watching him play for the NJD but i think the contract is a tad bit overkill.

Deleted member 3032

Will this inflate salaries beyond belief? If a guy coming off 13 bloody goals and 60 points can get 7.3 over 6 years, how much will front-line, all-star calibre players get now?

I still don't understand how this still is brought up as a concern. How can salaries be inflated? If Gomez's expensive contract in two years is viewed as incredibly cheap (due to salary "inflation"), it just means either low-to-mid tier players are earning VERY little, or players are paying a ton back in escrow (or revenues have continued to rapidly increased). The only people who should remotely care about Gomez's contract are Rangers fans and any fans who have a player approaching a similar situation to Gomez (ie, San Jose and Marleau).

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
The only precedent that was set by this contract is that it's put a quantitative monetary measurement on "potential". Strictly speaking, Gomez shouldn't have such a high salary but he's being paid relative to what he's theoretically capable of doing.

It's a bad idea in my opinion, because now (in theory) every RFA should be able to argue in arbitration that they have the potential to score more and do better, thus get paid more immediately. Wouldn't they? While I understand that UFA and RFA is different, once the principle exists in one market it should exist in the other market.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He received the contract because he had recent history as a PPG center in 2005-06, is one of the better playmakers in the game, remains young yet very experienced in the post-season, who also posted very significant playoff production in Spring 2007. On what-have-you-done-for-me-lately grounds, Gomez was very good in these playoffs.

He's not a goal scorer, obviously, but that's rarely the foremost consideration when shopping for a playmaking center, particularly one going to a team with a top HOF RW, and a HOF LW in his twilight years who is no slouch either.

For the short term, anyway, it's a heck of a good fit. Long term, he clearly needs a finisher to be effective.

It's not $7.3M for a 13-goal scorer and 60-point center. It's $7.3M for a guy recently at a PPG level (playing on a defensively conservative club), right in his prime, coming off strong post-season production, with heady post-season experience and hardware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->