Scott Niedermeyer backs the union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

Niedermayer's in it for the long haul?

Oh how will he ever make it? Must be hard to take that pinch in the pocket.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Whoever the best players in the league are they will be the rich players. And the union has an obligation to preserve their business rights as well. They are taking a much bigger hit than the smaller guys. Guys who wont get as much money if all of the best players arent playing in the league.

The veteran defenceman realizes replacement players might be an option for the NHL down the road, but he wouldn't hold a grudge against anyone who laces up in that situation.

"If that's the way it goes, we'll have to deal with it," Niedermayer told the radio station. "I wouldn't have any hard feelings. Everyone has to do what they have to for themselves"

He knows this is hard on the guys like ference making half a mil. More than he'll make in a capped NHL though.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
thinkwild said:
Whoever the best players in the league are they will be the rich players. And the union has an obligation to preserve their business rights as well. They are taking a much bigger hit than the smaller guys. Guys who wont get as much money if all of the best players arent playing in the league.

He knows this is hard on the guys like ference making half a mil. More than he'll make in a capped NHL though.

Yep, maybe Commodore didn't think it through, he probably will be explained by player rep's after next weeks' meeting at the latest.

If the teams are capped at 30 mil (not likely to happen though), best 5 players will get about 20 mil of that, players 6-10 will get about 8 mil, the rest will share what's left. The Commodores will end up earning 200 000 in a best case scenario.

Will he still support cap?

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
gary69 said:
Yep, maybe Commodore didn't think it through, he probably will be explained by player rep's after next weeks' meeting at the latest.

If the teams are capped at 30 mil (not likely to happen though), best 5 players will get about 20 mil of that, players 6-10 will get about 8 mil, the rest will share what's left. The Commodores will end up earning 200 000 in a best case scenario.

Well, let's look at it another way. The way that some of the "star" players are talking:

Let's contract four teams and figure out what league Commodore will be playing in. That's right, the AHL. Now let's figure out what he'll be making...wow, significantly less then the rediculous 200K that you threw out (30 mil cap, give me a break).

The PA's rich players make it difficult for their poor players by saying they think contraction is a good idea. Clearly they're not looking out for the 100 NHL jobs that will be lost if that happens.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't know about you guys, but $200,000 for 7-9 months work sounds pretty damn good to me.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
PepNCheese said:
I don't know about you guys, but $200,000 for 7-9 months work sounds pretty damn good to me.
Depending on his lifestyle, he may need to find another job after he retires from hockey at the age of like 35-38.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
gary69 said:

Commodore made it clear that a cap of 31M won't work. He was merely saying if the rules of engagement is a cap, it is the job of the NHLPA to fully investigate that option. Goodenow has had 5 years to delve into the business side and didn't do it.

Instead, he stuck to his mantra: The owners know their business best and they can make financial decisions, including payroll decisions, based on that premise. Instead of doing his homework, he tried to bluff the owners. Problem is the owners are not in the mood to play games. Get back to the table Goodenow and get it done. If you can't do it (i.e. if you can't get your ego out of the way), bring someone else who can make it happen.

Feb 12, 2003
Imagine if the NHLPA came up with a proposal of a $31 million threshold for a luxury tax, dollar for dollar over the limit, two dollars for every dollar spent over $50 million or something. That'd be a respectable offer that would come closer to what the NHL has asked for, and the NHLPA would look like they are willing to talk even if it's not a done deal.

I guarantee you if the NHLPA offers a strong enough luxury tax, the NHL would bit on it. You just can't make offers that don't put a dent in teams spending $50 million plus.

I'd expect a serious offer to come from the NHLPA in the month of November.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
shakes said:
And I'd expect a "my way or the highway" response from the owners.

That's fine...but at least then it puts media spotlight back on the owners, instead of the sideshow that the NHLPA is fast becoming.

If the NHL categorically turned down a proposal like the one GoCoyotes mentioned, I think fans and media might start to get off the players' collective backs a tad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->