Scott Hannan over Souray...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kasparov said:
Now... i don't know about you guys... but, i think Sheldon Souray would of been a much much better pick. Souray is bigger, he's stronger, he's better offensively he's got a rocket shot, he's great at clearing the crease, good leadership qualities, won't back down vs anyone, and hardly anyone can "outmuscle" him.

I know Hannan is good too... but i think Souray would of been better. What do you guys think?

You have to watch Hannan live to really appreciate him. I had no respect till I got to watch him live.

Vic Rattlehead*

417 TO MTL said:
Hannan, was a very good choice IMO, very underrated player...as for Souray, his time will come as long as he can stay healthy and continue to improve...Aucoin is another very underrated player...

So IMO, out of all the d-men that were named in this thread, the next in line should be...

Aucoin
Rathje
McCabe
Morris
Souray
Boynton could also be put on that list.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not a Brewer fan, and would rather see Aucoin play. I also think Hannan is a good choice. I wouldn't want to see Souray out there, as the guy is made of glass. We don't need him risking injury so he can play in some WC games. He did have a great year, but with his injury problems I'm glad he's not on the team.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
MS said:
Uh, OK.

Because Aucoin has only been in the top 10 in Norris voting 2 of the last 3 years, something neither Souray nor Hannan has ever been anywhere close to. And he logs more minutes than any defender in hockey outside Pronger and Lidstrom. And he had the best +/- of any Canadian-born defender last year. And he's way better than both Souray and Hannan offensively, and far superior to Souray in his own zone. And he has arguably the best point shot in the NHL. But clearly, he's an inferior player to a journeyman who's played one half-season of high-level hockey in his whole career.

Keep dreaming yourself, homer.

I Agree that Aucoin is better but I think that you vastly under-rate Souray. The guy is good in his own zone, and he is tough willing to hit and drop the gloves. I wouldnt agree that Aucoin is far superior to Souray in his own zone, though I would agree that he is better. Also Aucoin may indeed have "arguably" one of the hardest point shots in the NHL but one of the point shots that his would be argued against is Souray's. I dunno if you have seen Souray shoot the puck but the guy has a rocket and always has. I do think that Souray has arrived and that it was not a fluke. The reason is due to his shot and his abilty to get his shot off which creates chances even if he does not score (which he can surely do). Souray has always been able to shoot the puck, but in the past he could not hit the net. That is one thing he really worked on last summer which explains his season. If he can keep hitting the net, he will keep getting points.

I also dont agree that Hannan is WAY tougher as had been said by someone else earlier as both will play tough hard nosed hockey. Souray is not as good a skater as Hannan and Aucoin which I think is his biggest weakness in comparison to the others, but you cant take away for what he does in his own zone.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
MS said:
Uh, OK.

Because Aucoin has only been in the top 10 in Norris voting 2 of the last 3 years, something neither Souray nor Hannan has ever been anywhere close to. And he logs more minutes than any defender in hockey outside Pronger and Lidstrom. And he had the best +/- of any Canadian-born defender last year. And he's way better than both Souray and Hannan offensively, and far superior to Souray in his own zone. And he has arguably the best point shot in the NHL. But clearly, he's an inferior player to a journeyman who's played one half-season of high-level hockey in his whole career.

Keep dreaming yourself, homer.

Well if he was that good then he wouldve been picked right from the start....get over it... The only reason Aucoin logs ice because the ISLES have nobody else.... enjoy another early exit from the playoffs... if they make it thats is.... :lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hannan, was a very good choice IMO, very underrated player...as for Souray, his time will come as long as he can stay healthy and continue to improve...Aucoin is another very underrated player...

So IMO, out of all the d-men that were named in this thread, the next in line should be...

Aucoin
Rathje
McCabe
Morris
Souray

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Westcoasthabsfan said:
Well if he was that good then he wouldve been picked right from the start....get over it... The only reason Aucoin logs ice because the ISLES have nobody else.... enjoy another early exit from the playoffs... if they make it thats is.... :lol

No-one else? They have probably the best top-4 on the blueline in the league! Niinimaa and Hamrlik would both be #1 guys on most NHL teams, and Jonsson a #2. And Aucoin plays ahead of all of them.

The guy was 6th in Norris voting last year, and amongst guys currently eligible for this team only Niedermayer got more votes. Was that some sort of accident?

And I'm not an Islander fan, so I could care less whether they make the playoffs next year or not.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
MS said:
No-one else? They have probably the best top-4 on the blueline in the league!

I think that's a HIGHLY dubious statement. If they had the best top 4 in the league they likely would have made it quite a bit farther in the playoffs. Defense wins, the Islanders did not.

I'll agree with the other poster that said it's hard to appreciate Hannan unless you see him live. In fact people who haven't seen all of the players in question live numerous times probably aren't qualified to be saying this guy is better than that guy. Average ice time, stats, Norris balloting really means nothing. None of that replaces keying on a defencemen and watching him the whole time he's out there.

Hannan is solid.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I have to agree with a comment that Glenn Healy made, someone clearly doesn't like McCabe on team Canada, he was good enough to finish as the NHLs 4th best defenseman, in Norris voting and allstar team voting, but wasn't one of Canada's top 10 defenseman...while their powerplay is working fine, he would have the best powerpoint shot on the team had he been named now with all the pull outs...
how can people argue that Aucoin, Souray or Rathje are better than McCabe after the season he had? You could argue he wasn't a part of the right mix, but he certainly deserved to be there.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Another factor involved in the selections is the amount of Team Canada experience the players had. Brewer, Bouwmeester paid their dues internationally. What is the relative experience for Hannan, Souray, McCabe and Aucoin? I really don't know.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
balddog66 said:
I have to agree with a comment that Glenn Healy made, someone clearly doesn't like McCabe on team Canada, he was good enough to finish as the NHLs 4th best defenseman, in Norris voting and allstar team voting, but wasn't one of Canada's top 10 defenseman...while their powerplay is working fine, he would have the best powerpoint shot on the team had he been named now with all the pull outs...
how can people argue that Aucoin, Souray or Rathje are better than McCabe after the season he had? You could argue he wasn't a part of the right mix, but he certainly deserved to be there.

I really find Glenn Healy to be a big time homer, there are plenty of examples to prove that. I don't think this Norris Trophy voting means much. I value the opinions of Gretzky and his Canadian Brass more than those of beat writers around the NHL.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Aucoin > McCabe > Brewer > Morris > Souray IMO.

I'd have taken Aucoin or McCabe (very close) over Brewer. Souray should not even be considered. He's inury prone and frankly, not all that good.

Mountain Dude

417 TO MTL said:

Aucoin
Rathje
McCabe
Morris
Souray

Morris? :shakehead :shudder:

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
neogeo69 said:
Another factor involved in the selections is the amount of Team Canada experience the players had. Brewer, Bouwmeester paid their dues internationally. What is the relative experience for Hannan, Souray, McCabe and Aucoin? I really don't know.

Aucoin played 2 full years with the Canadian National Team back in the early 90s and played World Juniors.

Another thing about Aucoin, he doesn't just log a lot of minutes because he's in good shape and has great lungs, he logs all that icetime because he's good.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I think that's a HIGHLY dubious statement. If they had the best top 4 in the league they likely would have made it quite a bit farther in the playoffs. Defense wins, the Islanders did not.

OK, I'll rephrase that ... NYI has probably the most individually gifted top-4 in the league. I'd agree that in a perfect world, they'd probably want one more physical presence and one less all-around skill guy. But I don't think there's another team in the league that can claim to have 4 legitimate #1 or #2 defenders all capable of logging 25 minutes/night. The claim that the initial poster made that Aucoin only logs big minutes because they have no-one else who can handle it is absolute hogwash.

neogeo69 said:

As another poster mentioned, Aucoin spend two full seasons with the Canadian national team and probably has more international experience than any front-line Canadian at any position. Between Olympics, World Championships, World Juniors, and his time with the National team he's played about 150 international games for Canada.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
You know what drives I find funny. Guys saying a certin player deserves to be on the team because of one good playoffs.. Ok then if that was the case would you have choosen Alyn McCauly back when he had his big run with the leafs? I think you sould go with the proven guys you take a huge chance when you take guys like Hannan etc etc... What has Eric Brewer done to deserve a spot on this team ahead of sevrial other Canadian defenseman who should have got the call before him. I sure as hell don't know same goes for Jay-Bo ??? what has he done... The only thing I can remotly figure that Wayne and co are trying to pull off is get a core of young players use to playing together for years to come to represent our Country imo it's a stupid Idea... but I do hope it works..

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
MS said:
OK, I'll rephrase that ... NYI has probably the most individually gifted top-4 in the league. I'd agree that in a perfect world, they'd probably want one more physical presence and one less all-around skill guy. But I don't think there's another team in the league that can claim to have 4 legitimate #1 or #2 defenders all capable of logging 25 minutes/night. The claim that the initial poster made that Aucoin only logs big minutes because they have no-one else who can handle it is absolute hogwash.

As another poster mentioned, Aucoin spend two full seasons with the Canadian national team and probably has more international experience than any front-line Canadian at any position. Between Olympics, World Championships, World Juniors, and his time with the National team he's played about 150 international games for Canada.

Hay man you know that and I know that but trying to explain that to some of these guys is like pulling teeth it's painfull.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
are you forgetting the camp team Canada had, about 44 players i think they made the selections from Camp, past experience, style of play and most likely the season and playoffs too (Regehr, Hannan, Marleau, Richards all had great playoffs) but J-bo and probably others must have impressed a lot of people at the camp to make the team.

its just not one thing they look at, its all things related to the team, who already there and left to pick from, McCabe wasn't needed as bad as Regehr or Hannan, case in point the team already had, Redden, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, not a great idea to have all offensive players on the blueline. as for J-Bo i heard he had a great camp, not sure what McCabe did there, they be must confidence in J-Bo to handle himself in the WC and Team Canada must be looking towards the future a bit more too, youngest team in the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->