Rumor: Scott Arniel one of four remaining for Avs Head Coach

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Yeah that was a crappy move quitting this late in the summer. I know a lot of Avs fans are happy to see him gone but you quit after the season - not a month or two prior to training camp.

My guess is he didn't plan on quitting at seasons end. Something must have happened recently.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's their problem. No need to make it ours. If they want Arniel, the only way I let him go is if we already have someone lined up to take his spot.

There isn't exactly a dearth of qualified candidates for an associate or assistant coaching position.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I believe they recently removed compensation for coaches leaving and being hired elsewhere. (And I think it was only for head coach anyway?)

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
If I am NYR I don't let Colorado talk to Arniel. We are a month from the start of training camp. At this point they are already into the season essentially with minimal time to find a replacement. Look how long it took to announce the Beuk promotion after Ulfie left.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
If I am NYR I don't let Colorado talk to Arniel. We are a month from the start of training camp. At this point they are already into the season essentially with minimal time to find a replacement. Look how long it took to announce the Beuk promotion after Ulfie left.

It may not be up to the Rangers.....

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

much ado about little

early in the year, Gernander, his new D guy Keith? and Pat Boller, just do extra duty

and bring in Schoeny, Drury, St Louis, Gravy to help at Camp

there are plenty of guys to hire
I'd look at Luke Richardson

but there ex NHL HC guys around too

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Rangers should hire a generationally younger coach than AV. I think it would push AV and the team in good ways to get a coach that's got a different dynamic, and doesn't crony up to Alain.

Someone with some toughness too. The Rangers were sooffffff last year.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

If you want to piss off your staff, that's the fastest way to do it. "There's a great opportunity out there for you, but we won't let you go for it."

I can't see the Rangers blocking him. They usually try to do right by their people, and he can be replaced.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
If you want to piss off your staff, that's the fastest way to do it. "There's a great opportunity out there for you, but we won't let you go for it."

I can't see the Rangers blocking him. They usually try to do right by their people, and he can be replaced.

If they were askign at the end of teh season, you know, during the normal time frame for hiring coaches, you absolutely let him talk to the Avs. However, this close to teh beginning of the season is a different story. Where do you draw the line for when you allow coaches to talk to other teams? Start of training camp, start of the regular season? What about the middle of the season?

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
If they were askign at the end of teh season, you know, during the normal time frame for hiring coaches, you absolutely let him talk to the Avs. However, this close to teh beginning of the season is a different story. Where do you draw the line for when you allow coaches to talk to other teams? Start of training camp, start of the regular season? What about the middle of the season?

Arniel is just reacting to the job market - he didn't pick when the spot became available.

Not sure if you've ever managed people before, but if you block their ability to advance their career, not only will you make them bitter but word will get around. The Rangers usually try pretty hard to make sure everyone is well aware of how well they treat their employees.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Arniel is just reacting to the job market - he didn't pick when the spot became available.

Not sure if you've ever managed people before, but if you block their ability to advance their career, not only will you make them bitter but word will get around. The Rangers usually try pretty hard to make sure everyone is well aware of how well they treat their employees.

A coach in the NHL is quite a bit different than corporate america so that comparison doesn't work.

So as a GM you would be OK with a team firing their coach mid season and then asking to speak with your top assistant mid season?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
A coach in the NHL is quite a bit different than corporate america so that comparison doesn't work.

So as a GM you would be OK with a team firing their coach mid season and then asking to speak with your top assistant mid season?

It's not mid-season and there's plenty of time to get a replacement. The Rangers have always allowed their assistants to apply for head coaching positions, they're not going to prevent Arniel from doing so.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It's not mid-season and there's plenty of time to get a replacement. The Rangers have always allowed their assistants to apply for head coaching positions, they're not going to prevent Arniel from doing so.

Yup. Nor should they. Preventing your people from moving on to positions that will be better for them and their families is a really good way to ensure you don't get good people in the first place...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad