Speculation: Scorching Hot Summer Takes (Screen-Melting Predictions and Opinions 2017)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Why can't Nick just pass it onto Orlov's forehand? Minimal pivoting needed, it could easily be a one touch pass right to Ovi. If the PK forward is cheating that much, Nick can just step forward, and shoot, or pass it to Ovi himself.

As it is, a RH shot has to pass across his body, blind if he doesnt want to telegraph it. A longer pass, that everyone already knows is coming. Make the harder pass for Nick, not the RHD.

The pass from Backstrom to a right shot stays much more to the outside and is much less likely to be tipped/intercepted by the defender than if that pass was going to a left shot. And the right shot can one time it fairly easily while a left shot would need to try to do that across his body, which is really tough.

Plus the right shot pass to Ovechkin comes at an angle he can step into. If that pass is coming from a left shot it is coming more from behind him, which is also really tough to one time.

Draw it out on paper and those angles change a lot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Hopefully this links to the right moment, if it doesn't, fast forward to about 1:10. That's the type of play that could not be executed with a LH at the point. Same with the goal starting around 2:05. Similarly all those one timers from Green to start the video wouldn't work with a LH at the point.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Walking Over Coals To Prove Your Manhood Ceremony Take: Grubauer takes the reins full time in Washington after Holtby falters.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Time to review this thread for dumb luck and ridiculously unlikely accuracy, and start a new offseason of "my words are lava" hot takes.

Calculating improbability....

WEWekZa.gif

(thread title needs an update)

Reactions: RandyHolt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Crop-wilting take: Caps will make the Finals again next year vs....Barry Trotz's new team.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Holts Hot Cakes v10.0

We will replace MJ and you will not even notice he is gone. Yes including the PP entries, just like every other team besides NJ will be doing and has done for eons.

I nailed that one, but followed it up with this gem

I am not sure I am going to be able to watch the first time Ryan Reaves moves in on Djoos, after a Wilson hit on one of the pens punk Dmen.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I nailed that one, but followed it up with this gem

Your take on MoJo was up there -- probably the 2nd best take -- though I do think they went through some growing pains without Joe-hansson this season.

Looks like we will get to see if @Hivemind was right on letting Rierden leave and that he's not the right guy to coach this team moving forward.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like we will get to see if @Hivemind was right on letting Rierden leave and that he's not the right guy to coach this team moving forward.
Note that my opinions on those are now basically a year old. I'm looking at things with much rose-colored, Cup-shaped glasses at this point!

If the rumors that Reirden getting increased tactical control are true, I am open to Reirden. Regardless, I'm somewhat less opposed as I was at this time last year, but if he did indeed play an increased role on making the adjustments required to beat our opponents in the playoffs, I would count myself a supporter of the idea at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->