Speculation: Scorching Hot Summer Takes (Screen-Melting Predictions and Opinions 2017)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Washington DC is the worst: city shuts down with a few inches of snow and people complain about a little heat.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Craig Laughlin will literally explode while attempting to describe a play in which Djoos defends Jussi Jokkinen.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am not sure I am going to be able to watch the first time Ryan Reaves moves in on Djoos, after a Wilson hit on one of the pens punk Dmen.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I am not sure I am going to be able to watch the first time Ryan Reaves moves in on Djoos, after a Wilson hit on one of the pens punk Dmen.

Yeah I'm sure he hasn't experienced anything even remotely similar in his 162 AHL games...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I'm sure he hasn't experienced anything even remotely similar in his 162 AHL games...

Who is the Ryan Reaves of the AHL, and why is he buried there? Pitt or others would pony up a 1st for him.

I suspect the playoff hitting Djoos may face in the NHL is unlike anything he was ever experienced. We do get a few games a year ft playoff type hitting and rest assured it will be vs Pitt if anyone.

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Tepid Take: This is a pretty boring team, I want to be entertained if we're going to ice this monstrosity, sign Jagr and you've got my money for another year.

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
Y'all wanted a smoking hot opinion? Here we go. The butchered Galiev's development since his junior career ended and should be in our top 9. Also, It seems Bowey and Galiev have startling similarities in there career paths. Bowey has obviously as had the better one though. This take is so fire your eye will burst into flames after reading this.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Holts Hot Cakes v10.0

We will replace MJ and you will not even notice he is gone. Yes including the PP entries, just like every other team besides NJ will be doing and has done for eons.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Y'all wanted a smoking hot opinion? Here we go. The butchered Galiev's development since his junior career ended and should be in our top 9. Also, It seems Bowey and Galiev have startling similarities in there career paths. Bowey has obviously as had the better one though. This take is so fire your eye will burst into flames after reading this.

Ice cold take: Galiev's development was never butchered because he wasn't that good to begin with. Lacked the on-ice awareness necessary to be an every day NHL player.

Bowey won't bust like Galiev, or at least not for the same reasons.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Ice cold take: Galiev's development was never butchered because he wasn't that good to begin with. Lacked the on-ice awareness necessary to be an every day NHL player.

Bowey won't bust like Galiev, or at least not for the same reasons.

The truth, as I see it, is somewhere between these two.

Galiev had a very successful career in the QMJHL, but he did so on stacked teams coached by a future NHL head coach (Gerrard Gallant). He had teammates that would go 3rd overall (Huberdeau), 17th (Beaulieu), 28th (Coyle), 28th (Philips), 30th (Despres), and 35th (Jurco) in the NHL draft. Whenever junior teams get stacked like that, there's always a couple kids who get inflated beyond where they should be. They were basically running an entire top 6 of future 1st/2nd round draft picks.

When he reached the AHL, it's hard to argue that he was handled ideally. French didn't trust him with a top six role in Hershey and benched then pushed him to the ECHL for not being a good checker. That being said, he did little on the way of the score sheet to make up for his defensive issues or earn himself more ice time at the AHL level. The next year, with Haviland at the helm instead of French, Galiev ended up getting hurt and lost in the shuffle. Which put him back in the ECHL again. If he wasn't injured, things may or may not have gone differently.

But to place all the blame on the coaching and development is also erroneous. As mentioned previously, Galiev didn't do a whole lot in the roles he was given to earn more trust for himself. His talent wasn't so impressive that he forced himself into a high spot in the line-up. Even when Mann is critical of Vrana, he mentions how he is one of the best talents that's been in Hershey in a long time. There wasn't that same sort of mentality surrounding Galiev, because Galiev wasn't that overwhelming of a talent. When Galiev finally had a successful AHL season in 2014-15, it was largely the result of him manning the Ovechkin spot on the powerplay. His even-strength play was still nothing all too exciting, despite his overall point totals being respectable.

It's funny, if you go dig up the old Stan Galiev thread, you can watch my opinion of him deteriorate from season to season. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad