Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
CGY-Gully%20Rant.jpg

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Well. That was a heck of a game. Weathered the storm in the 2nd, but I thought the first was good and the 3rd period was great for the Flames. Smith was solid. Overall a good road game against the #1 team. Big 2 points.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames keep Kucherov and Stamkos to a combined 0 points and -2.

Good defense on them.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Almost run out of the building in the second period but all in all can't ask for a better road game against the top team in the league

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pretty sure we have a positive goal differential for the first time this season

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Phenomenal stuff. Only was able to catch 30% or so of the game, but Mike Smith is a fackin gangsta. What a performance. You'd think in a 5-1 win the goaltender wouldn't be 1st star, but from what I saw he made a dozen key saves when it was 1-0 and 1-1 and then continued his strong play until the final buzzer. Champ status. GFG.

Reactions: Sk8M8

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If my math is correct Ferland is now tied with Gaudreau for 5v5 primary points. But he's a just a leech, right @Baxterman?

Baxterman must be s****** his pants after seeing that Jankowski goal

Yea but can you imagine how much better of a goal that would have been if it were Lazar with the puck? Jankowski is nowhere near Lazar.

Aug 3, 2010
Really nice to see a game where we don't white-knuckle it to the finish.
I know a lot of posters gripe about powerplays, or the ability to keep a lead but my personal gripe of the season is how the players play out the last 5 minutes of a game in general.

Calgary has a mobile defence, a puck-moving goalie, and no shortage of scoring ability; while they lack a speedster, in no way are the Flames a sluggish team (excluding Jagr). So where is the urgency?

The jump, the ability to execute, whether it's playing comeback hockey or reliably scoring an empty-net goal, is completely missing this season. When the team is down by 1 (or two) with ~5 minutes to go, it's a foregone conclusion that they can't tie it up. If they're up 1, it's no guarantee because they always throw hail mary shots from inside their own zone, miss, and get called for icing. There's no system in place where the players look like they have a chance of maintaining a lead or tying the game, and it's a big part. Most of the time it's impossible to assume the team will be up 2 heading into the third - there has to be a better commitment to finishing the game strongly in all situations.

A decent OT record isn't good enough and isn't an excuse.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The interesting part is that we do have an insane record when leading after 2... 15-0-1 or something? All while we all agree that the team is awful playing with the lead.

Aug 3, 2010
The interesting part is that we do have an insane record when leading after 2... 15-0-1 or something? All while we all agree that the team is awful playing with the lead.
While that's impressive, it mostly speaks to the killer instinct that these guys have in 3v3 OT more than to the (lack of) killer instinct in closing out the game in regulation. No team can guarantee they'll be leading into the third, let alone the Flames. I just want to see some "throw it into high gear" Hartley catchup hockey, to know that they can play from behind as well.

Still have a lot of hope for the season and I personally don't have a huge issue with the coaching as much as other posters, although it's certainly not tailor-fit to the roster's strengths as much as I believe it could be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->