Science Background/Hello Thread?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
When the Science thread was first suggested, one of the concerns i remember seeing was someone saying they dont want to see a bunch of people arguing and using their backgrounds as an argument. "No you moron, i've got a Master's in Chemistry, i think i've got a better understanding of this than you"...sort of thing.

I dont want that either but i do think it'd be pretty cool to see what everyone's background is. I dont think it'd at all be a qualification to participate in this thread but its interesting to me nonetheless. So maybe just a simple "Hello" thread would do. Something like...

===================
Name:
Scientific Background:
Why you like Science:
===================

Name: xx Hot Fuss/Frank (whichever)

Scientific Background: Studying to be a Chemical Engineer. I've taken Biology 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, and Physics for Science and Engineering 1.

Why I love Science: So much of our lives are made up of speculation and ignorance. I love Science because it takes a lot of the guesswork or nonsense out of the things we discuss, learn, and know about. Obviously things can be changed and disproved but in general, Science is as factual as we get.

TasteofFlames

May 29, 2008
Athens, GA
Name: Zach
Background: Biology, more specifically, I'm 1 semester out from my BS in Fisheries and Wildlife (emphasis on fish). I'm finishing up my undergradtuate research into sustainable aquaculture (aquaponics). The main gist is that I'm growing plants hydroponically, but using fish waste to fertilize the plants instead of synthetic fertilizers. My project focuses on the efficiency of two different substrates (growing media).

Why I love science: Quite frankly, I love learning.

Here's my obligatory cool fish story. Below you will see a video of an Oarfish, "the king of Herrings" (Regalecus glesne. we know very little about these guys. They are, currently, believed to be the longest bony fish on earth, reaching upwards of 50 feet in length. Oarfish swim vertically in the water column and use an undulating wave motion moving through their dorsal fin to swim (just watch the vid, if that doesn't make sense). The have a "crown" of loose, red fin-rays (the structures that support a fish's fins) that come off the top of it's head. These rays can be seen poking up from the water at times. Because of this, Ichthyologists believe the Oarfish is the origin for sea serpents.

The above video contains most everything we know about them.

Here's a pick to give you a size reference.
800px-Mekongnaga.jpg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Name: John

Background: Senior biology major/psychology minor, graduating in May 2013.

Doing extremely tedious research on about cholesterol biochemistry in higher order plant vasculature. Biochem isn't really my thing, but you have to start somewhere and this is as good a place as any to start. We're looking to get published in March.

Why I love science: I like knowing how and why things work, and I enjoy explaining how things work to people who express a desire to learn.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Name: Jake

Scientific Background: Genetics/Molecular Bio. I also spent a semester in Pharmacy, for what it's worth.

Why you like Science: At the academic level, I loved the problem solving aspect of it. At the research level, I hated lab work (hence, I wasn't cut out for reasearch) but loved poring through journal articles and putting together new articles that summarized current knowledge in the field, as well as new avenues for research.

TasteofFlames

May 29, 2008
Athens, GA
Name: Jake

Scientific Background: Genetics/Molecular Bio. I also spent a semester in Pharmacy, for what it's worth.

Why you like Science: At the academic level, I loved the problem solving aspect of it. At the research level, I hated lab work (hence, I wasn't cut out for reasearch) but loved poring through journal articles and putting together new articles that summarized current knowledge in the field, as well as new avenues for research.

I can relate there. Soooooo tedious. Give me field work any day over the lab (then again, the field for me typically involves boats an/or snorkels). I worked as a research tech on a FW mussel aging project (the idea was to evaluate and tweak current aging methodology, we failed miserably), so I spent 8 hrs a day for 2 months cutting and polishing little slivers of shell, taking pictures of them and then "guessing" an age (you can vaguely make out annuli in the shell, similar to a tree's rings). We then had two others age the same samples, and we debated on whether or not an annuli was legit or not.

p5i1ouni37yrs.jpg

(not from the project I worked on, but same idea)
Each and every line that goes from the margin of the shell back to the hinge is an annulus. Then you have to determine whether or not it is a true annuli or if it was stress induced. We aged over 500 of these damn things:rant:

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Name: Thomas

Scientific Background: 4th year Engineering Physics major, UBC

Why I love Science: Learning how stuff really works. Also, I'm good at it.

By the end of my undergrad, I think I might have one of the stronger quantum mechanics background on here. I'll also have a strong math background (we take 400-level PDE and Complex courses).

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Name: Thomas

Scientific Background: 4th year Engineering Physics major, UBC

Why I love Science: Learning how stuff really works. Also, I'm good at it.

By the end of my undergrad, I think I might have one of the stronger quantum mechanics background on here. I'll also have a strong math background (we take 400-level PDE and Complex courses).

EngPhys is a ridiculous degree, probably the hardest undergraduate degree at the UofA. They take electrical engineering, honors math, and honors physics at the same time. But I never really could figure out what they'd do post grad.

Aside from teaching and research, what are some prospective jobs for you guys?

TasteofFlames

May 29, 2008
Athens, GA
EngPhys is a ridiculous degree, probably the hardest undergraduate degree at the UofA. They take electrical engineering, honors math, and honors physics at the same time. But I never really could figure out what they'd do post grad.

The best jobs.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Name: ThaDevilGirl

Background: Majored in Atmospheric Science, class of '11. Worked part time for a year as a weather briefer for a TV channel, and now I'm currently on my way to become an operational forecaster.

Why I love science: Science is amazing. You get to learn how things work, how it changes, you get to push boundaries and learn even more. I love my field because it is the power of Mother Nature at work. You might be able to predict the weather most of the time, but sometimes she will one up you and your forecast will be totally wrong. Also, no day is the same, it keeps work interesting.

I'll make sure to follow most threads. Better than following the main board during a lockout lol.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Name: njdevsfn95

Background: Chemistry/Education - currently teaching HS

Why i love science: i like knowing things and science is all about discovery.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

We're pretty much forced to do co-op employment for that reason. You need contacts.

I'm doing a co-op term at BC Hydro right now, and I think I could probably work here (after graduation) if I wanted to.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
The best jobs.

I'm actually starting up a first year project helping with the control system for a giant walking robot. It's supposed to be all Avatar-style, where you stand inside the robot and control its arms and legs with your own arms and legs.

So far only the leg has been built. Here's a video (that's our project sponsor, not me):

And here are the two main projects this lab has already completed:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Name: Brian
Background: History (the entire point of the History Department here at State is advocating the idea that History is science).
Why I love Science: science energy science energy electrolights turbolights powerlights more lights than YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR!!! Seriously, I like learning new things about how and why things are.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Name: Eric
Background: BSEE/BS Biology.

Wanted to go into bioinfomatics, but I don't know if there is much of a market for it, at least if you don't have a PhD, or aren't in the Bay area/Cambridge MA. However, I really like my current job (forensic toxicologist), but it's more biochemistry than anything (currently adding a analytical chemistry course at Fresno St.). Overall, I like it quite a bit; the lab work never changes, but the cases histories are never dull. The forensic aspect could be very difficult, because not only do you need to competent in doing the lab work, but then being able to prove that you know what you're doing in court. Luckily, I'm not at the level yet.

Would love to get an MS, but the question is time/money, as I'd like to continue working where I'm at, and I like to stay mentally active.

Why I like science: because it's awesome, although I'm a much better scientist than engineer.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Name: Buddah

Science Background: I study political science, and no I don't think it's a science haha. However, I have studied chemistry, biology, and geology at the college level. I also plan on getting into a masters program for sustainable development which incorporates a lot of natural sciences with social sciences.

Why I like science: Because it is the root of technological advancement, which makes Earth a better place to live.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Studied Archaeology in college and ditched it when I discovered that I could make more money flipping burgers at McDonalds than becoming an Archaeologist.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Name: Tyler
Scientific Background: Civil Engineering student
Why you like Science: I like learning about how things work and how it applies to my day-to-day life.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Dave
BS in Informatics, RN in progress... working in Clinical Informatics/EMR
Sometimes it's fun to dream about the possibilities.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Chris, scientific background is limited to Bio/Chem/Physics/Calc at the high school level (I'm in third year of a BA for Poli Sci). Love science for the obvious - it's the tip of the spear in our pursuit of knowledge.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Name: Kevin

Background: B.S. Mississippi State, Operational Meteorology. SKYWARN trained. Completed COMET courses. RACES and ARES involved. Amateur radio operator. Born and raised here in Dixie Alley. Worked on NWS survey crews following tornado outbreaks. Done some storm chasing in Alabama, now mostly work during outbreaks supplying information to local radio stations and directing chase crews.

Why I love Science: I've always been fascinated by the weather....Can't remember NOT loving it. It's actually one of the things I enjoy about living in Alabama. We experience the whole range of weather.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Name: Peter

Background: I failed everything science related but I still understand some of it, honest. :sarcasm:

Why I like science: It interests me because it's intriguing and wonderful.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Background : Neuroscience (studied from molecular to the cognitive level)

Why I love Science : just find the brain to be extremely fascinating (philosophical issues surrounding the mind was always of interest as well, but never took a course in relation to it). Would have loved to gone into something space related, like astronomy, but I've always been poor in mathematics. I still enjoy it though from a novice perspective.

Sep 19, 2008
Background : Neuroscience (studied from molecular to the cognitive level)

Why I love Science : just find the brain to be extremely fascinating (philosophical issues surrounding the mind was always of interest as well, but never took a course in relation to it). Would have loved to gone into something space related, like astronomy, but I've always been poor in mathematics. I still enjoy it though from a novice perspective.

I was interested in neuroscience too when I worked in my psychology program, but never really pursued it after graduation. That is some interesting stuff.

I worked in bioinformatics for a while for my Master's degree before switching to another major. That basically ended my pursuit of science at the academic level.

Most of my interest in science largely deals with computer articles that I read off my RSS feeds.

madvie

female habs fan
Jul 14, 2006
Montrealer in TO
Name: Mad

Background: Honours Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry. Currently in Grad School for more Biochemistry.

Why I like Science: It's interesting how things work and how intricate everything is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->