Schwarz potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues1234

Mar 7, 2002
Visit site
I dont know to much about prospects or there potential so what are the opinions of some of the people on this board about the potential of Schwarz? Great, good, average starter? Any opinions would be appreciated.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
blues1234 said:
I dont know to much about prospects or there potential so what are the opinions of some of the people on this board about the potential of Schwarz? Great, good, average starter? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Ed Belfour.

leafaholix*

Only seen him 3 times, but I have to say his potential is perennial all-star.

He's the most flexible goalie I've ever seen.

Dominik Hasek (if I had to choose a player)

X-SHARKIE

I love Montoya, but IMO Schwarz was the best goaltender in the draft, and should compare well down the road to the likes of Fleury, and Lehtonen.

He's going to be a big game goalie, he could be an all star.

He has the quickest reflexes i've seen in awhile, I think the stuff he is missing can be coached, and what he has is just god given talent.

Schwarz is a great athlete, insanely quick! and really a smart goalie.

He may not play the puck well, but he does alot of good things out there.

For a 17th overall pick in a average draft. Kudos to the Blues you have a franchise goaltender.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
problem with unorthodox goalies is you never know how it will translate into the NHL. sure he could be the next hasek, but he can very well be a bust. butterfly goalies, on the other hand, are probably the safer bet and the more likely to be successful in an NHL environment. This is why i think schwarz fell down so deeply even though he is often touted as being the best goaltender int he draft. Not to mention, it took hasek quite a while before he was able to become a #1. If this is any means for schwarz, the blues have quite a ways to go before they expect him to have any impact on the NHL

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Leafaholix said:
Only seen him 3 times, but I have to say his potential is perennial all-star.

He's the most flexible goalie I've ever seen.

Dominik Hasek (if I had to choose a player)

I would agree with the possibility of him becoming an all star, but there is no way he is more flexible than M-A Fleury.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I dont want to argue cause I saw him only once at the WJC and i had completly the oposite feeling that you guys have.

I saw a technical, angle shutter goalie with great size...

Efficient but not very exiting.

Lets see... any way i prefer your descriptions......

BJ21

leafaholix*

Puckhead said:
I would agree with the possibility of him becoming an all star, but there is no way he is more flexible than M-A Fleury.
He's easily more flexible than Fleury.

I've never seen anything like Schwarz in net.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
problem with unorthodox goalies is you never know how it will translate into the NHL. sure he could be the next hasek, but he can very well be a bust. butterfly goalies, on the other hand, are probably the safer bet and the more likely to be successful in an NHL environment.

I do not agree with that statement. How does being a butterfly goalie helps to project the success? It can make a scout compare goalies at the same stage of development, because there are so many of them that do the same thing, it is easy to see who does it best. But there is still no way to tell how well it will work in the NHL, because even the best of goalie prospects need to go a long way to get to the NHL level, and noone can say that the best of the bunch today will remain the best of the bunch 5 years from now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Leafaholix said:
He's easily more flexible than Fleury.
He may be more unorthodox, but he's not more flexible (than Fleury). I don't even think Lehtonen is.

leafaholix*

Jacobv2 said:
He may be more unorthodox, but he's not more flexible (than Fleury). I don't even think Lehtonen is.
Watch him play.

He's a rubberband.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
I know I've only seen him a few times but from what I've seen of Schwartz I was'nt really impressed. He looked shell shocked against a Canada team at the WJC every game they played. I know this was'nt all due to him, as the Canadian team was clearly better, but from a prospect this hyped I thought he would be much better. He seemed to go down way to early, and lose his focus after a few goals.

He has great upside if the Blues stick a goalie coach on him right away, and if he is willing to adjust. But IMO there has to be a reason that so many teams avoided him. Who knows though, two of the best four players to come out of this draft could very well be Schwartz and Schremp, two guys that have huge potential but for different reasons slid on draft day.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Leafaholix said:
Watch him play.

He's a rubberband.

I have watched about as much as anyone else has as far as his play in the WJC, and what I saw, compared to the 15+ games I watched Fleury play in the NHL, and without a doubt Fleury is GUMBY! I like Schwarz, and I think with his unorthadox style and lightning quick glovehand, coupled with the fact that he challenges the shooters and his great angle coverage he will be a big time goalie in the NHL. Having said that he is no Fleury and definitely no Lehtonen at this stage of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->