News Article: Schwartz: Islanders To Honor LaFontaine

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/01...lafontaine-on-march-24-prior-to-game-vs-wild/

After representing the United States in the 1984 Winter Olympics, Pat LaFontaine jumped straight to the NHL and joined the Islanders in the midst of their quest for a fifth consecutive Stanley Cup. It didn’t take him long to realize that the Nassau Coliseum was an amazing place to play.

He also came to understand that things went up a notch when the playoffs came around.

“It was exciting during the regular season but the players all said to me, wait till the playoffs,†said LaFontaine, who tallied 287 goals and 566 points in 530 games as an Islander. “Sure enough, in the first game against the Rangers with the sparklers and the excitement you could almost feel the building shaking.â€

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I'd rather see Tonelli honored.

I would love to see Tonelli honored as well but one does not preclude the other.. LaFontaine deserves this and it is a wonderful thing that ownership is finally putting their petty feud behind and giving this true HOFer and adopted Long Island native his night.. Kudos.. I will cheer especially loud for Patty and welcome him home..

For what it is worth, I have no beef with LaFontaine or Sutter for the stances they took with Pickett who abandoned this team shortly after the 84 cup loss, leading to the series of events that has plagued this franchise for 30 years. I think he was right and I wish that Pickett would have sold to viable new ownership when he left for Florida in the mid 80s. Just my humble opinion.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
It's mindblowing to me that the only HOFer who earned his reputation with the team outside of the Cup-winners has been a non-person since his falling out with Wang. About time.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
is this a jersey ceremony or just a Honor ?

Don't think they could really retire his number. It would create too much controversy and they'd have to put Harry Reasoner up side by side with Pat.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Probably my favorite player (with Trots) ever, and just bought my tix on stub hub. A little b-day present for me that week...very excited... :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad