Schremp..way overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Sure you shouldn't be trying to spear anyone after a game, let alone a fan. But at the same time, you have to wonder what kind of stupid you are to be heckling 16-20 year old major junior hockey players on a Wednesday night.

nesbit_21

Aug 2, 2005
These threads are getting LAME. Is there one high end prospect right now that gets more unjustified crap than Schremp? It's like, the better he does, the more people hate him. Why?

To answer the question, way overated? How about way underated? He is putting up sick, SICK, numbers, improving on everything that he needs to in order to get to the NHL, is a lock for a VERY good American World Junior team, and still we get threads like this one. So tell me, how exactly is he overrated?

And about the Crosby/Ovechkin stuff...no one ever said he is as good, or will be as good, as either of those two guys, BUT the general consensus at draft day, and probably even more so now, is that his natural offensive skill is right on par with Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin. And you know what? It is...just watch the kid for Christ sakes.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Battochio30 said:
Well I have heard from someone on another board that was sitting close to where it happened. He said an older woman was struck with Rob's stick.

Well my mother's friend's hairdresser's son heard from a guy who has sister who is dating a dude who knows this guy that was at the game that Robbie was reaching with his stick for a beer he saw sitting there... :sarcasm:

Pretty sure if he had made contact with anyone, particularly someone not even involved he would likely have been arrested for assault with a weapon... but let's not speculate and wait for the facts to come out IF the league sees fit on exploring the matter fully

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
MomentsofSanity said:
Well my mother's friend's hairdresser's son heard from a guy who has sister who is dating a dude who knows this guy that was at the game that Robbie was reaching with his stick for a beer he saw sitting there... :sarcasm:

Pretty sure if he had made contact with anyone, particularly someone not even involved he would likely have been arrested for assault with a weapon... but let's not speculate and wait for the facts to come out IF the league sees fit on exploring the matter fully

But that was my beer... arrest him officer - for theft! :sarcasm: Oh, and btw.. this thread is rediculous.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
In an effort to make some use of this waste of bandwidth - dynastydays from the oilers site went to a rangers fan site to try and get the scoop on what happened....

http://www.rangersrush.com/Forum.html (ranger/knight game thread)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me point out that I was no more than a couple of feet away from the incident at the end of the game and well within earshot. So:

THE SCOOP!!!

At the end of the game, Schremp stood in his usual spot to tap his teammates as they left the ice. The fans at ice level were heckling him as usual. One guy stood up directly behind him and seemed to yell at him through the seam in the glass. This fan's head was about an inch away from Schremp's at this point.

All of a sudden, Schremp goes nuts and tries to get at the fan. First he banged his stick on the glass and then proceeded to try and spear/jab the guy through the corner opening that widens when the doors are open. The fan, who is a regular and is around 18-20 years old, stayed far enough away so as to not get hit with the stick and along with his buddy, taunted the irate Schremp who continued to try and get at the fan. A couple of other Knight players banged on the glass and stuff but one player (I didn't get the number) grabbed Schremp from behind, kept him from getting closer to the fan, and yelled in his ear for him to stop and get to the room. He was finally able to get Schremp out of there.

A rink attendant came out from under the stands and said that Schremp said on his way to the room that he was spat on. I take it by the fan who was an inch away from him while he was standing by the glass. An older fan then complained that his wife was hit by Schremp's stick, albeit inadvertantly as he was trying to get at the fan he obviously felt spat on him through the glass. For the record, she didn't look injured at all. Also, I didn't see him make contact with anyone with the stick.

MY TAKE ON IT:

After every period and after every game, Rob Schremp scoops up the puck if he can get it and tosses it to a kid as he is going off the ice. He has done this for as long as he has played at the Aud. I go to every Ranger game and see it first hand as I sit right at the zamboni entrance.

Despite the amount of heckling, etc that rains down on the Knights players as they leave the ice, Schremp has never said anything back. He always conducts himself responsibly - even during the times where the Knights players mocked the Ranger fans over the last couple years after London wins at the Aud. This practice started three years ago and through it all, Schremp has never involved himself in any of this. He always seems more interested in giving the puck to a kid.

During tonight's game, as he was leaving the ice between periods, he was singled out by some hecklers as being a hotdog, etc etc. What did Schremp do? He, as usual, proceeded to toss the puck to a kid. At the end of one period, he tossed the puck to a kid and the kid dropped it accidently. The kid DID NOT toss/throw it back as was said above. Schremp took the time to chase down the rolling puck and toss it again to the kid making sure he got the puck - all while a few fans heckled him.

Personally, I can't for the life of me see him trying to attack a fan just because he was being heckled. IMO, he is a class act! He is the lone bright spot on an otherwise brutal, unsportsmanlike, crew of a-holes that I've seen darken ours doors at the Aud in years.

As far as I'm concerned, if Rob Schremp says he acted the way he did because he was spat on on the fan, then I believe him. As a matter of fact, I'd bet a week's pay on it.

I doubt that the fan will be penalized in any way as it would be tough to prove that he actually spat at Schremp. I also don't condone the way Schremp conducted himself trying to spear/jab the fan with his stick. Hey, I was right there! If he would have hit the fan with one of those jabs, the fan would have been in a lot of trouble. He'd have been seriously injured for sure.

I also don't condone the way the other fans threw stuff at Schremp and his teammates as this thing played itself out. There's no excuse really but I do understand why they did it. Again, this didn't happen until AFTER Schremp started after the fan with his stick.

Whether anything comes of this from the league or not is questionable. There was no mention about the incident during the highlights shown on sportsnet or on the local Kitchener news.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Looks like strokes555 has disappeared, now that someone's noticed he was making up quotes to "prove" his point. I wonder where he went??? :dunno:

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
taunting canadian said:
Looks like strokes555 has disappeared, now that someone's noticed he was making up quotes to "prove" his point. I wonder where he went??? :dunno:

Which is sad cause I found a nice "quote" from someone where I am reported as doing Angelina Jolie :handclap:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Asiaoil said:
Personally, I can't for the life of me see him trying to attack a fan just because he was being heckled. IMO, he is a class act! He is the lone bright spot on an otherwise brutal, unsportsmanlike, crew of a-holes that I've seen darken ours doors at the Aud in years.

Now, i'm not agreeing that London players are a bunch of a brutal, unsportsmanlike a-holes, but the fact that this writer (obviously a Rangers fan) singles out Schremp as the exact opposite of what half this board seem to label him as.... well, that should probably say something.

Last edited:

strokes555

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
wow

i didnt mean to offend Robbie Gretzky and all you people from London, and I didn't make up the quote, I just typed it from original memory and it was a word or two off
big deal

You guys in edmonton might as well start planning the Cup parade, because when Schremp is in the lineup they will likely just hand you the cup and the Oilers wont even have to play any games

my fav team is the oilers by the way, just sick of people overhyping a guy who is racking up the points in blowout games in the OHL and hailing him as Joe Sakic and beyond

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
strokes555 said:
wow

i didnt mean to offend Robbie Gretzky and all you people from London, and I didn't make up the quote, I just typed it from original memory and it was a word or two off
big deal

You guys in edmonton might as well start planning the Cup parade, because when Schremp is in the lineup they will likely just hand you the cup and the Oilers wont even have to play any games

my fav team is the oilers by the way, just sick of people overhyping a guy who is racking up the points in blowout games in the OHL and hailing him as Joe Sakic and beyond

you know, when you're making a point, it's better if you use actual evidence, especially evidence that only takes 30 seconds to find. Perhaps you won't make yourself look like a fool next time.

Even then, I don't really believe that it was accidental. You left out a crucial part at the begining (the rob schremp newbie part) and then added another bit at the end that simply was never there. I think I'm giving you some credit here by assuming that you did it intentionally...

And ever think that perhaps the reason they're "blowout games" (which again, would be nice if you could back up) is because he was scoring at a 4.5 ppg pace at the start of the season? I mean, when the Knights beat St. Mikes 14-6 or whatever and schremp had 8 points... well if he doesnt' get those 8 points, it's not really a blowout anymore is it?

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
strokes555 said:
wow

big deal

But the thing is... you're kind of making this whole overhyping thing up. There are a few who go overboard, just as there are a few who go overboard about any good prospect... but you've concocted this myth in which all Oiler fans are obsessing over how good he is.

Actually read the threads, and read the responses, and you'll get alot of people (myself included) who are impressed with his results but actually do realize that it's only the OHL. The problem is that you see a few posters and don't really read... and then misquote (which is a really ****** thing to do by the way).

Poor.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
strokes555 said:
wow

big deal

Amazing that you can quote that original post word for word, without error in punctuation etc... yet add in the last part accidentally? :shakehead

As for the Sakic comparison, one person made a reference to Sakic and the rest on that thread essentially backed away from that comparison.

As you so asserted to me earlier, next time read the thread. The only "hype" that I am seeing that is absurd is what you have created by starting this thread to begin with.

I have watched Schremp play nearly every game since he came to London and do think there is alot for Oiler fans to look forward to but he has his downsides like most others... How many games have you seen him play just out of curiousity?

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
strokes555 said:
Guys on the Oiler board are asking if he is the next Crosby, Ovechkin...

Some reply saying, no his max upside is that of Joe Sakic

lol

I think thats ridicolous

I believe he will maybe be a poor mans version of Comrie or Brierre

or if he plays wing someone like Berezin or Czerkawski

Smoke another!!!.....You find me a thread were it says that he is going to be like these two guys (Crosby, Ovechkin)???? Where?? NONE, thats thats right.

Most Oiler fans agree that he is what they are lacking right now. A guy that has the potential to be on the first line and score.......70, say 80 points. He will be a guy that will do that down the road.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
strokes555 said:
wow

i [think Schremp should change his name to] Robbie Gretzky

edmonton might as well start planning the Cup arade, because when Schremp is in the lineup they will just hand you the cup and the Oilers wont even have to play any games

my fav [thing] is overhyping a guy who is ... Joe Sakic and beyond

Holy **** - I didn't realise that strokes555 was such a Robbie Schremp fan. Guys like strokes555 are always overhyping people. I don't know what's wrong with him...

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
It's also extremely odd that strokes555 had a photographic memory and "typed" the quotes word for word, except for the part tacked onto the end that coincidentally "proved" his "point" about "overhyping".

Nice job...

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
taunting canadian said:
Holy **** - I didn't realise that strokes555 was such a Robbie Schremp fan. Guys like strokes555 are always overhyping people. I don't know what's wrong with him...
lol - golden.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Injektilo said:
Now, i'm not agreeing that London players are a bunch of a brutal, unsportsmanlike a-holes, but the fact that this writer (obviously a Rangers fan) singles out Schremp as the exact opposite of what half this board seem to label him as.... well, that should probably say something.

He did give evidence as to why he thought Robbie was a good guy. 95 percent of this board never sees the guy play more than twice a year. Those of us that do should be the only ones offering opinions on his "attitude problem".

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
As an update, there is an article in the Free Press about this today. Here are some highlites.

"I was waiting at the end of the rink to give the guys a high-five -- I'm always the last off the ice -- and I was spit on," Schremp said yesterday.

"That's the first time that's ever happened and you don't expect it. "

on some reports he accidentally hit someone

"I didn't intend to hit anybody. I was just pointing out the guy who spit on me to the usher with my stick."

"I understand there's an incident report coming and it goes on to the league (the OHL) so they can do their investigation," he said.
- Rangers COO

I have no doubt he was spit on, but even as a Schremp fan I find it a little hard to believe he was just "pointing out the guy who spit on him".. LOL

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
"I didn't intend to hit anybody. I was just pointing out the guy who spit on me to the usher with my stick."

"I understand there's an incident report coming and it goes on to the league (the OHL) so they can do their investigation," he said.
- Rangers COO

I have no doubt he was spit on, but even as a Schremp fan I find it a little hard to believe he was just "pointing out the guy who spit on him".. LOL
It appears that the league believes that Schremp was simply pointing the person out - I understand he's in the lineup tonight.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
strokes555 said:

Blow-outs eh??? Take a look at London's last 10-15 games, there's been a number of times where Robbie gets the only London goals or has points in 80+% of his teams scoring. This is no Anson Carter, this kid shows up when the game is on the line. You don't need to like him, but as an Oiler fan, you had better appreciate his talent when he arrives next year and displaces one of our many plumbers on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->