Schremp vs Perry vs Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Very good post, I was wandering the same a few days ago.

I'd say Perry then Schremp then Hunter and i'll add Bolland in there too.
Perry is the most dominant junior player this year besides Crosby.
However, IMO Schremp is the best all around player of the 4. Perry just seems to be in the right spot all the time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Perry's the straw that stirs the drink, but the Knights are one of those teams that can throw so much firepower at you everyone benefits.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
This line in a way reminds me of the great junior line of Todd Harvey, Pat Peake and Bob Wren, way back in 92-93 for the Detroit Jr. Red Wings. The year Pat Peake, the most talented player of the three made the jump to the NHL Wren's and Harvey's production dropped.

From what I've seen so far, Perry is the one that makes this trio work so well.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
From only seeing two games, I would say Perry in 5 on 5, and Schremp on the power play.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I think the thing that makes this line work isn't one player, it's the combination. If the defense focuses on Perry, it leaves Schremp or Hunter to break free and score. Same happens if they focus on Schremp. Opposing goalies have no idea where the shot is going to come from...... only that it's sure to come.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Boomhower said:
I'm not even sure you can call them a line.

Your right! As a season ticketholder i've been too many games and they NEVER played on the same line except PP until about 2 weeks ago in a game against Guelph. London was down 2-1 midway in the 3rd period. Dale Hunter put Perry and Schremp together for the first time (besides PP) and they dominated the game like i've never seen before. On their 1st or 2nd shift Schremp scored a highlight reel goal to tie it and they won in OT.

Since that game a few weeks ago they've been on the same line at different points in some of the games.

The lines are:
Steadman Hunter Perry
Prust Schremp/Bollland Bolland

But Dale Hunter mixes and matches the lines throughout every game.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
trahans99 said:
Very good post, I was wandering the same a few days ago.

I'd say Perry then Schremp then Hunter and i'll add Bolland in there too.
Perry is the most dominant junior player this year besides Crosby.
However, IMO Schremp is the best all around player of the 4. Perry just seems to be in the right spot all the time.

Eh: Shremp is a one way player so how do you figure that he is the better all round player.

Bolland & Hunter are the best all round players out of these 4 players, i would give Bolland the edge over Hunter because of his skating and hands.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Schremp is not a one way player anymore. Ask his coach who said in the paper just a week or two ago that he's improved immensly in the defensive zone.

Last year he was a one way player i'll admit but not this year.
Hes scored another 2 goals tonight and lead the O :handclap:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
trahans99 said:
Schremp is not a one way player anymore. :
It takes more then 3 months of learning defence to be considered a two-way player.

If you think Schremp is anything more then a one-way player, you are really out to lunch.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
It takes more then 3 months of learning defence to be considered a two-way player.

If you think Schremp is anything more then a one-way player, you are really out to lunch.
I agree with the first point. Disagree with the 2nd. If the poster is quoting the coach, who are you to say that he is still a POS in the defensive zone?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
slats432 said:
I agree with the first point. Disagree with the 2nd. If the poster is quoting the coach, who are you to say that he is still a POS in the defensive zone?
Hey, good for Schremp for actually finding his own zone this year. I am sure he has made some progress. It is going to take alot more then 2 months of him trying to play defence to declare that he still isn't anything more then a one way player.

trahans99 said Schremp was one of the most complete players on the team USA roster (if selected) so I have to take anything he says about Schremp with a massive grain of salt.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
well, as others have said, they dont play on the same line very much at all, hardly ever actually..... so the question should really be "which one of these players is the best?"..... schremp is usually on the 2nd line, while hunter and perry are together on the 1st..... the PP is the only time they really play together, and even there schremp is often on the 2nd grouping

and yeah, schremp may have found his own end this year, but its gonna take more than 3 months of hockey for him to change his stripes.... if he plays well in his own zone for the rest of the year and then for his first season in the pros, only then will i believe that he has really bought into the idea of a 2-way game....

all that being said, i believe that schremp is the most talented of the 3, while perry is the best all-around forward on the team, and will prolly have the better NHL career

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
jadeddog said:
well, as others have said, they dont play on the same line very much at all, hardly ever actually..... so the question should really be "which one of these players is the best?"..... schremp is usually on the 2nd line, while hunter and perry are together on the 1st..... the PP is the only time they really play together, and even there schremp is often on the 2nd grouping

and yeah, schremp may have found his own end this year, but its gonna take more than 3 months of hockey for him to change his stripes.... if he plays well in his own zone for the rest of the year and then for his first season in the pros, only then will i believe that he has really bought into the idea of a 2-way game....

all that being said, i believe that schremp is the most talented of the 3, while perry is the best all-around forward on the team, and will prolly have the better NHL career

I'm not saying Schremp is considered a 2 way forward, he is still know for his offensive skills. But his defence is not his achilies heel as it was last year. The coach and teammates have been praising him all year at both ends. Obviously 3 months isn't long enough to consider him a 2 way player, he will never be a complete 2 way player. But his defence has improved and he no longer considered a 1 way player.... and thats coming from the coach NOT me.

Cowboy

Jul 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
jadeddog said:

I am pretty sure he is on the first PP unit all the time with Hunter, Perry, Bolland and Sevret. And even if Power Play time is the only time spent together, it is quality time for the knights. They work the puck around like no other team i know, and it always ends up on Schremps stick and in the net. Meaning, he is the man! :handclap:

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Cowboy said:
I am pretty sure he is on the first PP unit all the time with Hunter, Perry, Bolland and Sevret. And even if Power Play time is the only time spent together, it is quality time for the knights. They work the puck around like no other team i know, and it always ends up on Schremps stick and in the net. Meaning, he is the man! :handclap:

No trurer words have ever been spoken. I've seen time and time again Schremp shooting and scoring his off wing top glove or low stick side.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
For seeing only one game from the Knights, I'd say it's not any of the three. Danny Syvret doesn't get a lot of credit but IMO, he's their best player. Corey Perry is #2.

I was wondering about syvret..can you please provide more info on him, his stats seem to be awsome for a D man.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

Isn't it possible that Shremp always knew what he was supposed to be doing (backchecking), but he's finally made the committment to becoming a complete hockey player?

I really think that for most gifted hockey players, defense isn't something that has to be learned but rather the effort has to be made. Look at guys like Yzerman, Sakic & Modano. They all were known for being one-way players early in their career, until they figured out that they had to play defense to win. I don't think it was a matter of them learning to backcheck, but rather them maturing and realizing that this is what it takes to win. Some players do it sooner, some later, and some never figure it out.

I know that Hunter sat him in the play-off's last year, so I don't think that he'd be praising Shremp to the media just to blow smoke up Robbie's arse.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Beukeboom Fan said:
Isn't it possible that Shremp always knew what he was supposed to be doing (backchecking), but he's finally made the committment to becoming a complete hockey player?

I really think that for most gifted hockey players, defense isn't something that has to be learned but rather the effort has to be made. Look at guys like Yzerman, Sakic & Modano. They all were known for being one-way players early in their career, until they figured out that they had to play defense to win. I don't think it was a matter of them learning to backcheck, but rather them maturing and realizing that this is what it takes to win. Some players do it sooner, some later, and some never figure it out.

Nope, Schremp readily admits that he had no clue what he was doing defensively. He says in interviews that his job in Syracuse was to score and score some more and they didn't care what he did in his own zone and neither did he. This 3 mounth thing is a bit of a stretch though, Steve Luzig is a decent coach and he began laying the ground work two and a half years ago (towards Schremp developing other parts of his game), obviously Schremp has showed more commitment this season, but it's something that has been in the works for a while.

Re: Yzerman, Sakic, Modano.
Bad comparison, forwards with great speed are more easily converted/suited to be a reliable defensive presence. Keep in mind Steve was a burner back in the day and Joe and Mike always have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->